BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-26-2009, 06:33 AM   #45
WildLyon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

I have the exact same problem with an aftermarket spoiler that I bought from **********s (not afraid to say the vendor). Except mine has a horrible wrap job, dimples all over it, and is severely misshapen. Neither end will stay down, in fact, even if I used road tar, the left end wouldn't lay down all the way because it's twisted. I talked to the vendor and they won't take a return because I already tried to install it. I also went to a local body shop and asked if they could re-shape, refinish and install it; the guy chuckled and said he could do his best but it wouldn't be perfect without making another spoiler and would charge me 220 euro (~$350). I'm so freaking pissed off right now I could boomerang this thing at the vendors face ! It even says on their add "perfect fitment"... maybe for a Honda Civic, definitely not for an E82. Should have bought from United Dan... FML...
      10-26-2009, 07:26 AM   #46
Absorber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjet04 View Post
I agree, if anyone goes the BETA Link way, anything less than overnight would be asking for trouble. I might be able to stash my car in a friends garage overnight, but it would be difficult.
About Beta Link... how difficult is it to remove once it's down? I'm probably going to go the 3M tape direction but if I have fitment issues then I'll probably give the Beta Link a try. I'll want to remove the spoiler and put the stock one back on at the end of my lease.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 10:34 AM   #47
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
sux to see these issues

i will fork up the money and get the BMW performance spoiler, i dont wanna deal w/ the headaches of replicas, there are few instances in this business where the replicas fit as good as OEM
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #48
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AR M4 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildLyon View Post
I have the exact same problem with an aftermarket spoiler that I bought from **********s (not afraid to say the vendor). Except mine has a horrible wrap job, dimples all over it, and is severely misshapen. Neither end will stay down, in fact, even if I used road tar, the left end wouldn't lay down all the way because it's twisted. I talked to the vendor and they won't take a return because I already tried to install it. I also went to a local body shop and asked if they could re-shape, refinish and install it; the guy chuckled and said he could do his best but it wouldn't be perfect without making another spoiler and would charge me 220 euro (~$350). I'm so freaking pissed off right now I could boomerang this thing at the vendors face ! It even says on their add "perfect fitment"... maybe for a Honda Civic, definitely not for an E82. Should have bought from United Dan... FML...
Sorry to hear that. I feel your pain. It sucks because when you, as a customer, read perfect fitment, you expect it to fit. As in, at least try to make it look like you thought about making it fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absorber View Post
About Beta Link... how difficult is it to remove once it's down? I'm probably going to go the 3M tape direction but if I have fitment issues then I'll probably give the Beta Link a try. I'll want to remove the spoiler and put the stock one back on at the end of my lease.
My personal opinion is that if you have plans to remove it, go with the tape. Even with my crappy fitment, I have absolutely no worries about it falling off. That tape is some strong-ass shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
sux to see these issues

i will fork up the money and get the BMW performance spoiler, i dont wanna deal w/ the headaches of replicas, there are few instances in this business where the replicas fit as good as OEM
Smart man. Peace of mind is hard to buy most of the time. This instance it is well worth the price.
      10-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #49
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

got mine from adamaster and haven't had any troubles at all. I wonder if the TX weather really makes that big of a difference?
      10-26-2009, 05:14 PM   #50
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomquickness View Post
got mine from adamaster and haven't had any troubles at all. I wonder if the TX weather really makes that big of a difference?
I think I'm missing the connection you are making about spoilers and TX?
      10-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #51
Simon_135i
Collecting dust!
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 E82/135i  [0.00]
OMFG my tip is now sticking up now too!!! WTF
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #52
Absorber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I got my painted FRP spoiler from Adamaster today. The paint looks good. I can't check the fitment or check the color match to the car yet. I don't get my car until Thursday when I pick it up at PCD. I've attached top-side and bottom-side pictures of the spoiler.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 07:58 PM   #53
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjet04 View Post
I think I'm missing the connection you are making about spoilers and TX?
it was mentioned earlier in the thread that the cold weather might be affecting the spoilers. Myself and another member from TX are reporting no issues (even with aftermarket spoilers)
      10-26-2009, 11:24 PM   #54
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I got mine from Ada master.. didnt have this problem however maybe its because the way I did it.. I used a combination of the 3m tape (added extra) and the glue which they provided.. me and my buddy only put pressure on both sides for 5 minutes and it was good.. though it wasn't to hot outside or cold and did this in my garage... the tape stuck on and allowed the glue to dry.. maybe I was lucky I dunno but lets see how it holds up in the winter..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 11:49 PM   #55
numbers
Rep
Drives: 135i cabriolet BSM

I have the BMW performance spoiler and have installed it twice, both times with 3M adhesive. The first time fitment was good but one end did bend up. I am not sure whether it was my crappy install or because I installed it in February. Maybe a combination of both. I did not use enough 3M tape all the way to the end of the spoiler and also probably it was too cold the first time. I used a blow dryer both times. In August when it was smoking hot outside, I removed the spoiler and retaped it, this time ensuring I taped every square inch. The second time I have had no issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 10:24 AM   #56
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomquickness View Post
it was mentioned earlier in the thread that the cold weather might be affecting the spoilers. Myself and another member from TX are reporting no issues (even with aftermarket spoilers)

Ah, I got ya. And I agree, I don't thing living is TX is the problem either. Every install I have done has been in warm temps and no rain for days after the installs.

Sure does sound like this is much more of a common problem than I initially thought.

I'm a firm believer in the 3M tape. I know it works. I think the key with these crappy spoilers is the amount of time you keep pressure on the tips when installing.

The tape is supposed to set pretty quick, so having pressure on the tips for an hour seemed like overkill. I was wrong though. I think I'm going to go pick up some clamps from Lowes and try another install tomorrow. The weather is supposed to be nice. I'll do the install as soon as I get up and then clamp that bitch tight and leave it clamped til I go to bed. If that doesn't work this POS is going back.
      10-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #57
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absorber View Post
I got my painted FRP spoiler from Adamaster today. The paint looks good. I can't check the fitment or check the color match to the car yet. I don't get my car until Thursday when I pick it up at PCD. I've attached top-side and bottom-side pictures of the spoiler.
Looks nice, but I think they all do. You can't tell if it will fit your car until you get your car and give it a try.
      11-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #58
Absorber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So I installed the Adamaster FRP painted spoiler yesterday. The fitment wasn't as bad as some of you have said, but it wasn't perfect. I want perfect.

The problem is that the edges aren't perfectly done... they aren't even. And there is no recessed bit for the molding tape to sit under so that the seams between the spoiler and trunk are bigger than they should be. If you've seen the bottom side of the stock lip spoiler then you know what I mean.

I tried to install it twice. The first time I installed it I put the tape all the way to the edges. That looked terrible. The second time I installed it I left about 3 mm to 4 mm around the outside edges untaped in the hopes that the seams would be closer. It worked in some places but is impossible in others because of slight imperfections in the shape of the spoiler.

I'm not going to try beta link. Getting the tape off was enough of a PITA I can't imagine what it would be like getting that stuff off.

I'm bummed and I think I'm just going to go back to the stock spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 09:27 AM   #59
2thDoc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Shelby GT500

I know, I've got the Adamaster CF spoiler also and I'm on the second fitment. It's great except the tips. I've tried both the narrow and wide 3M tape. Clamped overnight, 70-75 degree garage, cleaned the trunk lid well prior to applying. Last 3-4" of the tips are standing up off the lid. I tried to move it all about and find a position where it sat flat end to end on the trunk, no such luck. If you get the ends down, the center is up, center down, ends up. I actually liked the look of it without the goofy little factory spoiler in place. Might go ahead and take this off and leave nothing back there...
      11-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #60
woodman650
Super Couper
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

Just wondering... is there some sort of dissolvable glue/adhesive that wouldn't hurt the clearcoat of the car? I'm thinking maybe it's possible to just glue down the corners, use tape for the rest of the spoiler?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 04:17 AM   #61
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90

sorry to bump an old thread but..

- is anyone still experiencing these issues on recently purchased 3rd party spoilers?
- Considering an adamaster cf spoiler myself
Appreciate 0