Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Anyone considering a set of snow tires on their XI?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-03-2005, 01:00 PM   #1
myXI
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330XI

Anyone considering a set of snow tires on their XI?

I placed an order on a 330XI. I am switching from a FWD with a set of both summer and winter tires. So am used to the better of both worlds. I am uncertain of the handling of the XI with the all-season RFT. I am thinking of getting a set of snow tires. Is anyone else considering this as well?
      10-03-2005, 01:08 PM   #2
afocoryw20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 + 325xi

Garage List
2006 325XI  [0.00]
2005 X3  [0.00]
1990 Mercedes Benz ...  [0.00]
I would try the car out first before doing so. Although I have never driven an E90xi in the snow I have a 2005 X3 with all wheel drive. Last year it handled amazing in the snow. I was putting the pedal down around turns in about 6 inches of snow with no slips at all. I also had a 2005 325xi last year as a loaner which handled even better in the snow than my truck. I am getting an XI this week (hopefully) and I'm not gonna get snow tires......Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 03:02 PM   #3
RobertF
Rep
Drives: 540i/6

Well naturally snow tires are going to work much better in the snow ...

...than "all season" tires. That said, it of course depends on where you'll be driving. If it's predominately the "flatlands" then that's naturally way different than if you're in the hills...

Personally I do live/drive in the "hills", and always run 4 snow tires in the winter on my Audi Quattro. I'm considering a 330xi for my next all wheel vehicle (provided I can drop it from its absurd 4x4 gap to a reasonable height), and would of course go for the style 162 performance upgrade and run a dedicated snow tire/wheel combo in the winter...

But again, that's just me, as I want max performance regardless of the season. Your mileage may vary...o)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 03:46 PM   #4
myXI
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for your insight. Though I live in the city, its on a relatively steep hill. My concern here would be during the first snow fall before the plows come by. I never had the problem with the FWD and snow tires. I also occassionly drive up to the mountains for some snowboarding. The storm chaser in me can't wait to drive up.
      10-04-2005, 07:00 AM   #5
des16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi

I've got an 330xi on order with the performance tires and am definately getting a dedicated set of snows. Even with my volvo xc, which has all-season truck tires, I put on snows. The difference is amazing! How anyone who lives in a snowy area can pay 40K for a car and not put appropriate winter tires on their car is a mystery to me, especially if they value their property and life. One fender bender and you've paid for the tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 10:34 PM   #6
myXI
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by des16
I've got an 330xi on order with the performance tires and am definately getting a dedicated set of snows. Even with my volvo xc, which has all-season truck tires, I put on snows. The difference is amazing! How anyone who lives in a snowy area can pay 40K for a car and not put appropriate winter tires on their car is a mystery to me, especially if they value their property and life. One fender bender and you've paid for the tires.

What do think about the 158 wheel? I wish they were 18s. It would look much beter. I could justify the extra money for ZSP and 17s.
      10-05-2005, 06:22 AM   #7
des16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Do you know where you can purchase them (158) or any other 17inch bmw wheel at a reasonable price?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2005, 08:32 PM   #8
myXI
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by des16
Do you know where you can purchase them (158) or any other 17inch bmw wheel at a reasonable price?
The 158 are part of the sports package on the 330XI. I don't know of any place to get BMW wheels except at the dealer.