BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

BMW Mobility Kit Question

What do you guys who have ditched the runflats use in the event of a puncture?

Is the BMW mobility kit any good? Is it expensive?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

The problem about the mobility kit is that once you use it, it pretty much ruins that tyre. You gotta get a new one.

You could try and get a worm repair kit. Basically you need to find the puncture, pull out the nail or whatever, dig a hole into the tyre and insert a rubber worm thingy with some rubber cement and then in theory your tyre is as good as new. It takes longer but then it does the job properly and you can keep the tyre.
      12-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Agree ... Try to avoid the sealant as the tyre shop people hate them even if they are water based, they don't take any risks when they have to deal with the stuff. So far, I've been lucky with just the use of the compressor. I've also used the space saver I have once (alloy space saver from a HSV). I keep that in the warehouse at work just in case and only put it in the boot if I'm more than an 100ks from home. Other than that, roadside assistant is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
P90Puma
Would rather be driving.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy 72 View Post
Is the BMW mobility kit any good? Is it expensive?
It's a 12V compressor, some gloves, some goop, and a bmw soft case.

It was 100$ CAD.

BMW forced me to get one to safety my car as it didn't have runflats, was cheaper than getting a safety somewhere else again.

Sits in the trunk now.
      12-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

I have a spare mobility kit sitting in the X3 with RFT. Most punctures leaks are slow and you just need to pump it up to pressure and drive carefully to have your tyre fixed. I didn't use the goo the last couple of times I had a puncture, and just drive down to my tyre place to have it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 05:31 AM   #6
Giveway74
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i and MK7 Golf GTI PP

I have a mobility kit that came with the car but i don't carry it with me as you have to pull out the valve and then feed in the goop and then put the valve back in and then pump the tyre up.

What do is carry a jack, mobility kit pump, wheel brace and a worm repair kit (AKA dog turd) like this one

and also have roadside assist in case i cannot repair myself.

Also sometimes carry a full size spare if i'm going country NSW and have space for it.
M3 front and rear arms, M3 Front and rear ARB , Quaife LSD, BMW performance wheel (non electronic), 135i Brakes, DS2500 pads, Apex wheel studs, Adjustable Bilsteins, API Half cage, Hankook Z221's (track) and Bridgestone RE002's (street) 225's all around
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
BenWM
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F22 M235i

Shoot me down in a blaze of gunfire, but I actually really enjoy my run flats. I like the stiffness, I enjoy the weight savings, and I love the comfort of knowing I can continue on a puncture without calling and waiting for RSA, or attempting a messy repair.

Just a shame they aren't offered on the M235i.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

so what happens if you blow a tyre and call bmw assist?

Do they loan you a spare, or do you purchase a tyre from them, or do they just tow you to the nearest town?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

My guess is they leave you to drown if you don't have oem runflats on the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkatron View Post
haha, but seriously M3's dont have RF's & don't come with a spare so what then?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #11
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkatron View Post
haha, but seriously M3's dont have RF's & don't come with a spare so what then?
well seeing as the m3 comes with normal tires and not runflats, my guess is that mobility kit is first port of call, after which bmw roadside assist will do all they can. and if no roadside assist then probably tow truck.

tbh with my previous comment re non runflats on a car which is supposed to have runflats, hard to say how bmw would react.

as the old adage goes, gotta pay to play
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
drjekl
Captain
Rep

Hmm well i might put a m3 badge on the boot on my next long trip

Seriously though I might give bmw roadside assist a call and find out what the go is if one gets a flat out in the middle of nowhere...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 01:02 AM   #13
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-BWM View Post
Shoot me down in a blaze of gunfire, but I actually really enjoy my run flats. I like the stiffness, I enjoy the weight savings, and I love the comfort of knowing I can continue on a puncture without calling and waiting for RSA, or attempting a messy repair.

Just a shame they aren't offered on the M235i.
What weight savings RFT is 3-4kg heavier each tyre.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 01:06 AM   #14
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
Hmm well i might put a m3 badge on the boot on my next long trip

Seriously though I might give bmw roadside assist a call and find out what the go is if one gets a flat out in the middle of nowhere...
Something like 20km free tow IIRC. That's it. Regardless of what the problem is. If you in the middle of no where, it is pretty useless. I was at willowbank, and it will not even take me back to Ipswich. Luckily Amex covers a 100km which makes the tow ride less painful.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 01:18 AM   #15
drjekl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
What weight savings RFT is 3-4kg heavier each tyre.
Guess he is refering to the weight saving of a 20kg spare and 5kg of jack tools etc?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 01:22 AM   #16
drjekl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Something like 20km free tow IIRC. That's it. Regardless of what the problem is. If you in the middle of no where, it is pretty useless. I was at willowbank, and it will not even take me back to Ipswich. Luckily Amex covers a 100km which makes the tow ride less painful.
Oh ok that sounds about right.

I'm planning to drive the great ocean rd in march which is ~ 1200 kms from home and I think I need a decent spare rather then relying on my mobility kit or bmw roadside assist?

Amex? So any amex card holder has access to a 'amex' roadside assist service???
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 01:31 AM   #17
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Guess he is refering to the weight saving of a 20kg spare and 5kg of jack tools etc?
I know, but you don't carry the spare wheel - just a mobility kit.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 01:46 AM   #18
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Oh ok that sounds about right.

I'm planning to drive the great ocean rd in march which is ~ 1200 kms from home and I think I need a decent spare rather then relying on my mobility kit or bmw roadside assist?

Amex? So any amex card holder has access to a 'amex' roadside assist service???
I think minimum Amex Plat Charge card. I was going to take out a membership of RACQ after that incident, but when I start comparing, it is either already equivalent to its either top or second top tier membership.

BMW Assist is very efficient, and good service, but can't even tell my 1M hasn't got RFT. Took me a little bit to explain I have a side wall puncture for them to agree to send a car, but a bit useless as the tow distance was pretty crap. The other option is just to bring a spare tyre so that can be mounted at the closest tyre shop. I found the problem is not everyone carry our size of tyre. That trade off bringing a full wheel and you can still technically store things inside the wheel .
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 04:02 AM   #19
drjekl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I think minimum Amex Plat Charge card. I was going to take out a membership of RACQ after that incident, but when I start comparing, it is either already equivalent to its either top or second top tier membership.

BMW Assist is very efficient, and good service, but can't even tell my 1M hasn't got RFT. Took me a little bit to explain I have a side wall puncture for them to agree to send a car, but a bit useless as the tow distance was pretty crap. The other option is just to bring a spare tyre so that can be mounted at the closest tyre shop. I found the problem is not everyone carry our size of tyre. That trade off bringing a full wheel and you can still technically store things inside the wheel .
Hmm well I have a amex platinum, no idea they offered um any services such as roadside assist?

I have only had to use bmw assist once due to a starting issue (turned out to be a bad earth) and they sent out one of the boys from my local dealer out. All he was equipped with was a set of jumping leads a few basic tools and an iphone with a torch app that he was using as a torch.

Hmm yeah that's correct regarding the tyre sizes and im sure some country town tyre store would see a city slicker in a bmw an apply a hefty bmw tax.

I have a set of new 17" m sport rims, I might buy a 17" tyre and a jack to be prepared...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #20
BenWM
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F22 M235i

Quote:
Spot on.

But yeah, I've never used a mobility kit, nor do I know how long it takes to get under way again. At least with RFTs you don't even have to stop the car. Just keep driving until you get to a repair center.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #21
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-BWM View Post
Spot on.

But yeah, I've never used a mobility kit, nor do I know how long it takes to get under way again. At least with RFTs you don't even have to stop the car. Just keep driving until you get to a repair center.
The principle behind RFT is good but you need to mindfull that if you continue to drive on a flat tyre, that tyre might not be repairable due to stress you have now put the sidewall under. As long as you accept the notion a simple puncture might end up costing you a new tyre then all is good.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #22
drjekl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGR00 View Post
The principle behind RFT is good but you need to mindfull that if you continue to drive on a flat tyre, that tyre might not be repairable due to stress you have now put the sidewall under. As long as you accept the notion a simple puncture might end up costing you a new tyre then all is good.
When i stayed up at the vineyards years ago, a bmw owner had to pay for 2 nights accommodation as they couldn't get a RFT replacement on a saturday afternoon visiting from Sydney (I didn't see the tyre but the RFT had a torn sidewall)

I imagine it would have cost them $6-1000 just in 2 nights accommodation and meals alone, when if they had a full size spare (or a spacesaver) they could have just driven home?
Appreciate 0