BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
james33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Lotus Evora

Warranty work denied because of painted brake calipers

I know this is the 1 series forum, but it gets more traffic than the Z4 forum so I am cross posting in an attempt to get some advice. And I do own a 135i so please cut me a little slack. :-)

My wife's 2008 M Coupe warranty was ending due to time (4 years in July of 2012). Her car had 34,570 or so miles on it. I took it in to Roadshow BMW in Cordova, TN to have a final once over to make sure nothing needed to be done before the warranty expired. This was on the 11th or 12th of July.

They looked the car over and repaired a sticky volume control button on the steering wheel and replaced the trunk latch mechanism under warranty. They also checked brakes (as is noted on the work order/receipt I got). The car got a clean bill of health and I was sent on my way. Brakes were working perfectly before taking it in – I have never had any issues mechanically with the car.

I drive the car home and when I pull into the garage the left front brake is smoking. The wheel is so hot I can’t touch it. I noticed no pulling or anything strange on the way home.
I take the car back the next morning. They look at it and call me to tell me they need to replace the caliper (and rotor, pads, etc) but can't do it under warranty because there is paint on the caliper.

Calipers were painted when we bought the car (used from a dealer in NJ). Calipers/brakes have never been off the car to my knowledge as it's never required new pads or any work.

I met with the service manager at Roadshow and he states he cannot warranty it so I call BMWNA Customer relations and they say the same thing. So I ask for her manager and get a call Monday July 16.

Elizabeth from customer care calls me back on Monday July 16 and we go around in circles yet again. She stated that it could be several days before a decision was made - something about going through several departments/channels??? I explained my side of the case, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, and that I was a loyal BMW owner with 3 cars currently.

As of this week the M coupe is no longer under warranty (it expired the 16th or so). I'm now waiting to see what happens - the car is still at Roadshow BMW. This is absolute absurdity - paint on a caliper would no more cause it to fail than a coating of dirt or a sticker.

Any advice, people to contact, letters to write, etc. would be most appreciated!
Thanks
James
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
dont worry about the car being out of warranty there is always goodwill warranty repairs that can be done by the dealer once the warranty officially expires, im sure the situation will straighten itself out, good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
1Fasst1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, Jet Black 6MT

First I've heard of this. Was the paint an after market paint? 135i comes with gray painted calipers and the PE version is a yellow color. If inspected under warranty and said to be ok very strange that it could not be repaired under warranty. I would not let this go until someone could explain how caliper color would cause a problem...whitch I don't think they can.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
james33
Private First Class
Rep

It's my wife's 08 M Coupe. Just got a call from BMW NA and they will not cover the part because it was modified. End of story, do not pass go, do not get your car repaired under warranty. Because paint caused the caliper to lock up.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Stupid.... But I can see their point on this. If the previous owner used too much paint and the paint ran over or on the back of the calipers and it affected the machanical parts of the braking system then they do have every right to deny the warranty claim. I hate people who cheap out and paint their calipers. You drive a damn BMW with Brembo brakes. Take them off and have them professionally powder coated. Its not a civic...

Either way, I hope they work with you and replace them. Was the dealer you bought it from a BMW dealer or a private dealer? If it was a BMW dealer then they should take care of it because they let it go that way, if its a private dealer then you are back to the top of this post with them being within their right to deny.

The magnusson moss act covers WARRANTY items. Brakes are covered under BMW's maint. plan and is nothing at all in the same conversation with the Magn-moss act. This is totally BMW's call... Sucks, but im sure they will so right by you.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
...when we bought the car (used from a dealer in NJ)
A BMW dealer or a used car dealer?

If the former, I would pursue with them, if the latter I think you are SOL.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

I can see BMWNA POV on this, and am not surprised at the answer you got.

I think you are done.
      07-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
james33
Private First Class
Rep

You are correct, tuco44. I contacted BMW NA, BMW CCA Ombudsman, and tried to negotiate anything with Roadshow. Batting zero. So I ordered parts from Rocky Mountain Euro and BAV Auto and wil be doing brakes next weekend. I guess paint on a solid metal caliper is enough to cause it to fail..... Wow.

I've done brakes on all of my cars but not the M Coupe. Any one have any "watch out for" or "be careful" tips?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by james33 View Post
You are correct, tuco44. I contacted BMW NA, BMW CCA Ombudsman, and tried to negotiate anything with Roadshow. Batting zero. So I ordered parts from Rocky Mountain Euro and BAV Auto and wil be doing brakes next weekend. I guess paint on a solid metal caliper is enough to cause it to fail..... Wow.

I've done brakes on all of my cars but not the M Coupe. Any one have any "watch out for" or "be careful" tips?
Better look up on the DIY. Be careful, you do not want to break off those bolts that ONLY come with a new brake caliper! Here is the thread...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...highlight=bolt

brake pad DIY link...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...135i+brake+diy

Also... beside new pads and caliper and flushing/bleeding your brakes... you will also need a new brake pad wear sensor. You will need to use my DIY to reset the brake wear light too...

DIY resetting service "due" lights…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415111

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #10
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

James,

I don't understand their theory that the paint caused the lock up. It also troubles me that it happened after they inspected the brakes. You can cause a brake to do this by leaving the caliper dangling on the line and crimping it. If you are repairing it, this is something to look for. If the line is damaged then it will do the same thing again until you fix the line.

With respect to paint, I will first state that mine are painted. I did it myself with a brush on kit from JEGS, I think the brand was Duracolor. I've been to the dealer 4 or 5 times and they've inspected it and said they've checked the brakes a couple times with no comments at all.

It can be impractical to get your legal rights and there could be an involvement from the paint but, if so, I don't get it. Does the brake that hung up slide or does it have pistons on both sides? If it slides, is there paint on the pins it is supposed to slide on? Maybe that could cause the issue. It would also be something to fix or you could damage your new parts. If you find paint on the sliding pins, then BMW seems to be right. If you find a damaged line, I would be headed back to the dealer. Please let us know what you find.

I will also comment about "professional" painting. I am concerned about anything I didn't do myself regardless of whether I pay somebody or it was done by a previous owner. I can provide a LOT of examples of things I've paid "professionals" to do that was not done right. I am more concerned about the previous owners work unless I see some examples that indicate they knew what they are doing. I have more confidence in "professionals" but not enough not to check their work and not more confidence than I have in my own skills at most projects. I can easily paint a caliper.

Jim
      07-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=215590&page=2

Read post #28 and fax the FTC document to BMW NA and your dealer. Tell them you will be in contact with your States Attorney General's office and the FTC. Then see what they do. GL.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #12
dknl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=215590&page=2

Read post #28 and fax the FTC document to BMW NA and your dealer. Tell them you will be in contact with your States Attorney General's office and the FTC. Then see what they do. GL.
I think the issue is that the part was "modified" albeit it was just painted.
It is possible the paint could theoretically hinder normal operation if applied incorrectly as explained in previous posts.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
peeti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 e90

While it MAY be possible, the act specifically states that the burden of proof is on the manufacturer. Have them prove it to you that the paint caused the damage.

The only way I see paint would cause that damage is if it got on the seals or inside the mechanism and started creating friction on the sliding parts. Beyond that, I call BS. If there is no sign of paint on the business end of the caliper or inside the cylinder, then they're just making excuses.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

I am a bit confused because it seems like your dealership screwed something up?

Were the brakes fine before? It seems to me like the problem happened directly after you went to the dealership? Could they have broken something while they were checking your car out?
      07-31-2012, 03:19 PM   #15
KEI7
First Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: E61

Curious how the decision from BMW turned out. Thinking about painting calipers...
Appreciate 0