BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-13-2007, 02:24 AM   #45
Mr. E
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
If BMWNA prices the 135i @ $37K +
...I, as well as many others will buy the Evo X instead and save some money. The 135i is unproven while Mitsubishi just made an already amazing all around car even better. BMW better price competitively.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 06:38 AM   #46
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djminkin View Post
At least the Mini looks somewhat the same. An updated retro copy of the 2002 would be pretty cool, along the same lines as the mustang and soon to be camaro, but I cant imagine how they could make that flying brick design aerodynamic.
It's interesting that you bring up the MINI.

According to your logic on 135i pricing, the MINI Cooper S should have been way more expensive than it was. Let's face it, the MINI was a very unique car with loads of standard features, world class performance & BMW design/quality.

I think everyone would now agree that the "S" was a very good performance value, as long as you didn't go crazy with the options.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 09:21 AM   #47
djminkin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry lawless View Post
Dude i don't know where your getting this from but this car is the modern day version of the 2002. It dosen't have to look like it or be sized around the 2002 to get its roots from it. Look at the e30 m3 compared to the e92 m3 they look nothing alike and their sizes are no where near the same. But the new m3 gets its roots directly from the e30 m3 its just the modern day equivalent. And another thing is, this car isn't going to be a limited production car. Lets not forget that bimmer has alot of other spin off versions of the 1 series they want to introduce like the x1, z1 or z2, and theirs even been talk about a 1 series sedan, and the M1. So if they want to bring all these cars on the market like they hope they can this will be a mass produced car. Plus the M coupe is an M car which is made in smaller production numbers like the M1 will be when they make it, the 135 is not an M car. And if you don't think their going to make the M1 you need to talk to SCOTT. Lastly if you want to compare this car to a previous bimmer it wouldn't be the e46 3 series it would be the e36 3 series since they have the closest all around dimensions.
:roundel::roundel::roundel:
(Just wait for the pricing to be released)
It can be said all three series and BMW's get their roots from their predecessors than. As far as it being limited, its already set in stone for the US. They are only sending the coupe and convertible and they're not flooding the dealers with them either. Of course this is a test to see how the car does. The productions of M3's grew and grew based on sales, the same will hold true here.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 09:27 AM   #48
djminkin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbent View Post
It's interesting that you bring up the MINI.

According to your logic on 135i pricing, the MINI Cooper S should have been way more expensive than it was. Let's face it, the MINI was a very unique car with loads of standard features, world class performance & BMW design/quality.

I think everyone would now agree that the "S" was a very good performance value, as long as you didn't go crazy with the options.
Were comparing pricing of the 1 and 3. I simply reported what I heard from the dealer. The only question that I posed and wasnt answered is how can BMW possibly sell a car like the 135 with better performance, and comparable size looks and ammenities for 10K cheaper? Thats the only reason I cant see the car being priced that low. To say they are going after a cheaper niche market doesnt really hold ground due to the limited availibility this car will have here in the US. I would think if they were going after a cheaper niche, they would mass produce them, and offer the hatch, sedan, and tone down the accomodations somewhat similar to what they did with the X3, which people felt was still vastly overpriced when it arrived.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 09:28 AM   #49
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
...I, as well as many others will buy the Evo X instead and save some money. The 135i is unproven while Mitsubishi just made an already amazing all around car even better. BMW better price competitively.

If you want an EVO, then buy it. The 135i is not after that market. The only thing similiar with those 2 cars is possible the acceleration.

BMW is a premium brand, Mitsubishi is not!

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 09:32 AM   #50
djminkin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
If you want an EVO, then buy it. The 135i is not after that market. The only thing similiar with those 2 cars is possible the acceleration.

BMW is a premium brand, Mitsubishi is not!

-Garrett
Thats right, BMW intends to hold up its image of quality. This isnt just a stripped out speed machine. They are more interested in providing an overall driving experience, not just a straight line speed racer that will fall apart.
To give you a comparision, my buddy cant understand why I would choose an X5 4.8 for double the price over what he has, a Trailblazer SS. Yeah his car is faster and has a vette engine, but its a 4spd piece of crap, that already has transmission problems, and the entire interior looks and sounds like a giant loose piece of rattling plastic.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 09:57 AM   #51
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Thats right, BMW intends to hold up its image of quality. This isnt just a stripped out speed machine. They are more interested in providing an overall driving experience, not just a straight line speed racer that will fall apart.

To give you a comparision, my buddy cant understand why I would choose an X5 4.8 for double the price over what he has, a Trailblazer SS. Yeah his car is faster and has a vette engine, but its a 4spd piece of crap, that already has transmission problems, and the entire interior looks and sounds like a giant loose piece of rattling plastic.
Yeah, your right. But it's more.

It comes down to the level of engineering into each part. People think because 2 cars have the same look and shape they are similiar, yet they don't understand or hold value in the non-tangibles, ie smothness, ride quality and impeccable maintenance.

They just do know, so they place no value in those things.

Again, BMW's DNA is hard to leave. Drive a BMW for a few years then go buy another car, chances are you will be comming back to BMW in a few years, there is just something about the over-all driving experience. The perfect balance, the handling!

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 10:06 AM   #52
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Do you even understand what an Evo is? There is nothing "stripped down" about the Evo X and it's certainly not a "straight line speed racer that will fall apart". However is is about "the overall driving experience".

And of course a BMW is better than a Chevy, no real revelation there.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 10:45 AM   #53
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Were comparing pricing of the 1 and 3. I simply reported what I heard from the dealer. The only question that I posed and wasnt answered is how can BMW possibly sell a car like the 135 with better performance, and comparable size looks and ammenities for 10K cheaper? Thats the only reason I cant see the car being priced that low. To say they are going after a cheaper niche market doesnt really hold ground due to the limited availibility this car will have here in the US. I would think if they were going after a cheaper niche, they would mass produce them, and offer the hatch, sedan, and tone down the accomodations somewhat similar to what they did with the X3, which people felt was still vastly overpriced when it arrived.
Limited availability? Where does everybody keep coming up with this notion?

BMW wants to sell lots of these cars! I've been following the 1 series story right from the very beginning, I cant' remember ever once reading anything about this be a limited production car.

I think some people are confusing this 135i "M Sport" marketing crap, with true "M cars", and even they are not limited to a certain number of cars for the most part.

Perhaps you got this info from the same guy who gave you the pricing scoop before anyone else in the country!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 12:43 PM   #54
djminkin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbent View Post
Limited availability? Where does everybody keep coming up with this notion?

BMW wants to sell lots of these cars! I've been following the 1 series story right from the very beginning, I cant' remember ever once reading anything about this be a limited production car.

I think some people are confusing this 135i "M Sport" marketing crap, with true "M cars", and even they are not limited to a certain number of cars for the most part.

Perhaps you got this info from the same guy who gave you the pricing scoop before anyone else in the country!
Limited being they are offering two models coupe and convertible two engines. In europe they offer 5 models and a lot of engine options. Its not thats its a limited production car, but they are certainly testing the market, only bringing two models and the numbers that are being speculated by the dealers. Im sure if the car is a monumental success they will introduce the other 1's and produce more for 09.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 03:06 PM   #55
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TESLAASTRO View Post
I agree......I fell in love with this car based on the performance/value equation.....anything over 40k though for premium and auto equipped and I'll be buying a G37 loaded for 36k.....
There is no way in hell your buying a G37 for 36k LOADED. Trust me on that one.
      10-13-2007, 04:31 PM   #56
Mr. E
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
A mid $30k turbo compact car with 300hp/300tq is most certainly in the same class as the Evo and STi.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 07:20 PM   #57
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Yeah, your right. But it's more.

It comes down to the level of engineering into each part. People think because 2 cars have the same look and shape they are similiar, yet they don't understand or hold value in the non-tangibles, ie smothness, ride quality and impeccable maintenance.

They just do know, so they place no value in those things.

Again, BMW's DNA is hard to leave. Drive a BMW for a few years then go buy another car, chances are you will be comming back to BMW in a few years, there is just something about the over-all driving experience. The perfect balance, the handling!

-Garrett
Man, I like BMW's as much as the next guy, but you really have it bad.

I really don't mean to pry, but I'm curious what all BMW's you have owned & driven?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 07:39 PM   #58
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
There is no way in hell your buying a G37 for 36k LOADED. Trust me on that one.
sorry I should have qualified my post.....G37 Journey with premium (to me that's loaded) and thats it...I do business with one of the biggest Infiniti dealers in S Fla, so I 'expect' to pay no more than $500 over invoice....wont be a problem since the car will already have been selling for well over a year at the time of purchase, 8/08.....besides my relationship with the dealer, Infiniti hyperventilates over repeat business like no other brand......
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 07:46 PM   #59
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
sorry I should have qualified my post.....G37 Journey with premium (to me that's loaded) and thats it...I do business with one of the biggest Infiniti dealers in S Fla, so I expect to pay no more than $500 over invoice....wont be a problem since the car will already have been selling for well over a year at the time of purchase, 8/08......
Ahh okay. Now your making sense :biggrin: Also, I would have to agree with garrett. BMW does have a certain type of "DNA" thats hard to leave. I've driven many many cars and the closest to have come to them is Infiniti. Other manufacturers seem to focus on other things than the connection of the wheels to the pavement.
      10-13-2007, 07:59 PM   #60
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
A mid $30k turbo compact car with 300hp/300tq is most certainly in the same class as the Evo and STi.
those 2 cars are so not in my demographic, whereas the 135 I feel certainly is...I'd feel like the frat boy son of some rich guy driving that EVO or Subaru....or Hulk Hogan's kid who just crippled that poor boy while driving like a lunatic....

sorry, I disagree with you.....both of those cars lack the refinement and, for lack of a better term, "panache' of any BMW
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 08:11 PM   #61
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Ahh okay. Now your making sense :biggrin: Also, I would have to agree with garrett. BMW does have a certain type of "DNA" thats hard to leave. I've driven many many cars and the closest to have come to them is Infiniti. Other manufacturers seem to focus on other things than the connection of the wheels to the pavement.
I'm looking forward to owning a 135......price has to be there though....so, I've upped my limit to 40k in consideration of the free maintenance BMW offers.....you know, on paper, the 135 is absolutely everything I could ever want in my daily driver....

wonder how it insures vs G35 and G37....
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 11:45 PM   #62
FleaDog
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

^^^ the awd turbo cars are NOT just for going straight on dry pavement... I'd buy a c6 zo6 if thats all there was...

I'm worried about when it comes time to snow...
(not a worry for your guys in the warmer areas)

The Evo's and STI's are animals in that stuff with just all-seasons. I know when I'm on-call, and need to get into the hospital in crap weather, there are absolutely no worries in my STI.

My buddy in his 3 series at times struggles with good snows (nokians)...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 10:52 AM   #63
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
those 2 cars are so not in my demographic, whereas the 135 I feel certainly is...I'd feel like the frat boy son of some rich guy driving that EVO or Subaru....or Hulk Hogan's kid who just crippled that poor boy while driving like a lunatic....

sorry, I disagree with you.....both of those cars lack the refinement and, for lack of a better term, "panache' of any BMW
That's too bad, you're missing out on some really great cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 11:50 AM   #64
asv
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
An Sti or Evo is not in the same class as a 1 series. They are not luxury cars, period. You can throw leather in a Subaru but its still a Subaru.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 12:10 PM   #65
zirrah
Private
Rep
Drives:

The way I see it is simply this...

328i coupe's start at like 35k
335i coupe's at like 40k

5k difference. Very likely we'll see the same split on the one series. I'm thinking 30 max is the starting price on the 128i, thus 35 on the 135i.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 01:06 PM   #66
n54_335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by asv View Post
An Sti or Evo is not in the same class as a 1 series. They are not luxury cars, period. You can throw leather in a Subaru but its still a Subaru.
Its pointless to argue whats in the same class. To some on here preformance and price is what is what determines which class a car is in(sti, evo, 135i) so you cannt just say because it dosnt have i-drive that its not in the same class or because the stiching in the seats is not as classy so that makes it not the same class car.

The 135i seems to fall in between alot of classes and therefore I think can be put into those classes of cars.
Appreciate 0