BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-27-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
e82vette
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

when do you apply sealant on your paint?

never used sealant....only used wax
when do you guys apply sealant???
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Quote:
Originally Posted by e82vette View Post
never used sealant....only used wax
when do you guys apply sealant???
Good question. Essentially both products do the same thing which is protect the paint and enhance the shine. I really love the depth and gloss of a wax but their durability is quite limited, especially in hot temperatures. Waxes typically only last about 1 - 4 weeks (ball park figure) depending on a variety of factors. If you depend on a wax for protection then I recommend applying it every 2 weeks or so. Sealants typically last about 3 - 6 months. Sealants are very reflective but may not look as deep or as glossy as a wax. I try to apply a fresh coat of sealant every 3 months to ensure my paint is fully protected. If you detail very regularly then using a wax may work great for you. If you prefer to detail less regularly then a sealant is probably best. If you want the best of both worlds apply a sealant first and then layer a wax on top of it.

In case you are interested some of the durable sealants I have ever tested are the Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 and Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger. They both have a nice shine to them and very durable protection. If you want a good value try the Chemical Guys M-Seal.

For waxes there are so many outstanding choices. I really love all of the Dodo Juice waxes, they seem to offer the strongest protection while using natural ingredients. They also a sample size (30ml = 3 - 5 applications) so you can test their waxes before buying a larger size (200ml). Another option is the Chemical Guys 50/50 which looks great on all colors. For the best value try the Poorboy's World Natty's Blue or Natty's Red Paste Wax. Let me know if you have any other questions I'd be happy to help.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

Nice reply from Greg..sounds like some good choices. The other option is Zaino bros. There are some very happy users of Zaino products on this site. Go to the web site and give it a read...some good info there.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 07:51 AM   #4
rori zahr
AristoCat
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: M2

zaino works like magic. I was a bit confused when I used Z-CS sealant for the first time on my car. I just couldn't get the feeling of how much is enough! I think I applied too little but the result was unbelievable. the beauty about Zaino products is that they are soooo easy to apply and buff off, they just disappear. Ah, they smell so good too.
love it
      05-29-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
Smac355
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

is it appropriate to put a sealant on then a level of wax?
Black Sapphire Metallic 135i/Coral Leather Interior/ Gloss Black Grills/20% tint/M door sills/Black 135i badge, smoked LED side marker, Dinan stage II , DINAN Exhaust, performance side skirts, performance shift boot/e-brake, pedals, carbon fiber wrapped interior
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
neteagle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MBM 135i

Down here in Georgia, wax doesn't last very long in the summer. I went Zaino and I am a huge fan now. Always used wax before. Finish lasts a long time, and you don't have to worry about getting wax on your trim pieces. Plus you can layer Zaino for even more shine and protection...

I tested Turtle Wax Ice on my truck and it sux. Doesn't last and doesn't protect.

'11 335i Le Mans Blue, Saddle, Dark Glacier, Manual, M-Sport, Premium, CA, Harman Kardon, Heated Seats, iPod, High Beam assist, 35% tint, Stone-X, BMW Performance Exhaust, Shadow Grill, CF competition spoiler
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 08:04 AM   #7
holo777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i Conv

I use a sealant then put wax on top of it. To me that is the best of both worlds. Once your get a few layers of wax it deepens the finish nicely.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 01:20 AM   #8
wa128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 135i DCT

I, too, use a sealant and layer it with a liquid wax. I do this twice a year, once in the fall then again in the spring.
      06-25-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
SLO
Shane
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, RRS, LR4

With a sealant like Zaino, do you have to wash your car with Dawn, clay, and polish each time before using the sealant? Can you layer the sealant every 3 - 6 months with just a good wash or do you always have to prep the car first?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #10
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
With a sealant like Zaino, do you have to wash your car with Dawn, clay, and polish each time before using the sealant? Can you layer the sealant every 3 - 6 months with just a good wash or do you always have to prep the car first?
With Zaino, you only need to wash with Dawn before the very first time you apply it. After that, you can layer as regularly as you want. Clay and polish only as you need it. The only time I'd think about washing with Dawn with Zaino is if I had layered carnauba wax on top of the Zaino. I don't know how well Zaino would bond through carnauba.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #11
SLO
Shane
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, RRS, LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed 2.0 View Post
With Zaino, you only need to wash with Dawn before the very first time you apply it. After that, you can layer as regularly as you want. Clay and polish only as you need it. The only time I'd think about washing with Dawn with Zaino is if I had layered carnauba wax on top of the Zaino. I don't know how well Zaino would bond through carnauba.
Thanks Zed! So with that said, how do you remove stubborn tar stains and such before sealing?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 12:24 PM   #12
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
Thanks Zed! So with that said, how do you remove stubborn tar stains and such before sealing?
You can try a relatively aggressive clay, but I prefer Stoner's tar remover. Just be sure to thoroughly rinse the area after using it.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #13
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

If you wax to often, without stripping, aren't you just waxing the wax?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 08:26 PM   #14
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOne View Post
If you wax to often, without stripping, aren't you just waxing the wax?
If you're using a carnauba, yeah, the solvents that allow the carnauba to be soft enough to spread will just dissolve any remaining wax and you'll buff it off back to the same level as a freshly waxed single coat. However, with synthetics, you do get some layering effect. I notice a little improvement from the first to the second coat of Zaino, but more than anything, I attribute it to just filling in anything from the first pass. I tried to get a bunch of layers on over a few months, but needed to polish anyway and lost interest.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 04:29 AM   #15
Yuzi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Klasse AIO + Menzerna FMJ + P21S

128i | Jet Black | Premium package | Sport package | 18" Style 263 | 6MT | Injen Intake | BMS PowerBox |SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 09:09 AM   #16
Dr_Jones
Major
Rep
Drives:

zaino results are often less than ideal on black cars.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #17
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Jones View Post
Explain please? I've been using Zaino on black cars for years and find it's one of the best products for black. I actually don't care for it on metallic paints as much, it just gets a little too plasticky and two dimensional on some highly metallic paints, like my ex's dark grey Audi.

Are you referencing overall shine, or something like splotchiness, unevenness, haloing or similar? Just curious, as I've had really good luck with Z2p and Z2 on black for many years.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 07:51 AM   #18
EINSER
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Gray E92

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
Based on my experience, Zaino is great on black cars, but it takes a bit more care in applying to a black car than some of the others. It is MUCH easier to see streaks from applying too much product on black. I've also found that the Z-6 and Z-8 spray can leave some streaks too. What I have found works best for me is to follow the usual directions for application (wash and then layers of Z2 with Z6 in between) and then, after the final coat has been buffed and has had time to sit and bond, I give it another quick wash. That seems to help with any streaking as well as any polish residue or lint that was left over. Bottom line is the products are great....just experiment till you get the results you are happy with.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #19
odgaard
keeping cars clean
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M3

sealant first, then wax. use sealant every 3-4 months and wax every 2 weeks if ur anal like me
      07-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #20
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Fixed that for you.

Quote:
zaino results are often less than ideal on black cars if you don't have the ability or effort to adequately prep your paint.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #21
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EINSER View Post
Based on my experience, Zaino is great on black cars, but it takes a bit more care in applying to a black car than some of the others.
+1

On my last car, which was a wonderfully black black it was difficult to get just so in order to apply Zaino, but the results were worth it and it was MUCH easier to car for afterward because less crap stuck to it.
      07-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #22
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
I agree with Dr Jones...to the point that I sold my Zaino. Is it a great product? Yes, without a doubt. It was maddening to try and use just enough to get adequate coverage without getting streaks. I honestly was never able to figure it out on Jet Black, so I sold it.

My point is that there are other seals out there (FMJ, Rejex) that it doesn't matter how much you use, or how you mix it, or if you wave a magic wand over the solution before shaking it up. With the others I mentioned, you apply, and buff off. No muss no fuss. I would challenge anyone to tell me my Jet Black is any less shiny/smooth/reflective then the Zaino users. It's true, the prep is 95% of the finished product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed 2.0 View Post
zaino results are often less than ideal on black cars if you don't have the ability or effort to adequately prep your paint
Zed, my prep was the following from the port (no dealer prep)

Full Dawn wash X2 using 2 bucket method
Clay car with Griot's clay and Speed Shine for lube
Wash car again using Griots car wash and 2 bucket method

Using my Flex polisher, I started with a white pad and Menzerna Super Intensive Polish and polished the entire car.
I then repolished the car using my Flex and a blue pad with Menzerna PO85rd to finish and jewel the paint.

It was this point that I nearly drove myself crazy trying to get the Zaino to work for me with no streaking.

Could you please point out the gap in my "ability or effort" or even any steps I missed that precluded me from having success with Zaino?

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0