BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-02-2017, 12:51 PM   #89
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
I thought Dinan had to reverse engineer the ECU just like everyone else.
No. Back when this tune was developed, Dinan had an exclusive relationship with BMW where they cooperated at an integral level. They got the codes.
That's why a few years ago, most Dinan dealers were located inside BMW dealerships.

That cooperative agreement has ended, which is why you see Dinan basically making piggyback units for the new series cars (they don't have access to the unlocked coding anymore) and why many Dinan dealerships are independent shops now. (Some of us are lucky to have our BMW dealer still be a licensed Dinan dealer, but I understand that isn't all that common anymore).
Appreciate 3
Esteban43275.50
StephGOD218.50
c1pher4653.50
      02-02-2017, 09:45 PM   #90
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
No. Back when this tune was developed, Dinan had an exclusive relationship with BMW where they cooperated at an integral level. They got the codes.
That's why a few years ago, most Dinan dealers were located inside BMW dealerships.

That cooperative agreement has ended, which is why you see Dinan basically making piggyback units for the new series cars (they don't have access to the unlocked coding anymore) and why many Dinan dealerships are independent shops now. (Some of us are lucky to have our BMW dealer still be a licensed Dinan dealer, but I understand that isn't all that common anymore).
Actually Steve Dinan killed that long standing rumor a couple years ago. He was interviewed by Matt Farah, before he left for a short stint with Ganassi Racing. Steve said they spent $600k+ a year cracking ecu's. He had a dedicated 6 person team that spent everyday developing software, including some Caltech engineers. He said on average it took about half a year to crack an ecu.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 10:20 PM   #91
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post

Actually Steve Dinan killed that long standing rumor a couple years ago. He was interviewed by Matt Farah, before he left for a short stint with Ganassi Racing. Steve said they spent $600k+ a year cracking ecu's. He had a dedicated 6 person team that spent everyday developing software, including some Caltech engineers. He said on average it took about half a year to crack an ecu.
Perhaps that's true, or perhaps that's a version of the truth.
If they were just another bunch of freelancing tuners without an inside edge, why was it Dinan and not any other tuner who was co-located with BMW dealerships across the country?
It's not my place to dispute the word of Mr. Dinan, but when you look at the circumstances (a: the only tuner with a fully cracked code years before anybody else, and b: the same tuner being the only one in the country integrated into BMW dealerships) conclusions are easy to draw.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 09:43 AM   #92
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Just an FYI. I was reading through the marketing stuff on the S2 tune on Dinan's website and ran across a statement about having the top speed limiter removed for manual trans cars but retained on automatics. So I inquired about whether the limiter is removed on DCT equipped cars being they're technically a manual trans too. I got word that DCT equipped cars also have the top speed limiter removed.
Appreciate 4
VRG_135836.50
StephGOD218.50
Esteban43275.50
      02-03-2017, 10:18 AM   #93
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Just an FYI. I was reading through the marketing stuff on the S2 tune on Dinan's website and ran across a statement about having the top speed limiter removed for manual trans cars but retained on automatics. So I inquired about whether the limiter is removed on DCT equipped cars being they're technically a manual trans too. I got word that DCT equipped cars also have the top speed limiter removed.
This is great because even Martial (MHD) hasn't gotten this fully figured out for E-series N55's, YET.

Rumors aside, Dinan is definitely way ahead of the aftermarket curve despite their tunes being more conservative.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 11:37 AM   #94
Dthltm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i / Deep Sea Blue on Taupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
This is great because even Martial (MHD) hasn't gotten this fully figured out for E-series N55's, YET.

Rumors aside, Dinan is definitely way ahead of the aftermarket curve despite their tunes being more conservative.
I'm talking to a local shop here in Dallas. Quoted me the same price as Dinan website for the software and $125 to install. I just had PPK done so if I move forward this will put me at about $1,300 worth of tuning in 3 months

EDIT: My local shop doesn't know when the deal will end, but says he has never seen a sale like this in 20 years.

Last edited by Dthltm; 02-03-2017 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 11:44 AM   #95
Katkarot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010MDX 2012135i

I am interested in getting this but then I started looking up some dynos on Dinan Stage 2 and it seems many have results lower than expected, not getting near declared peak HP or torque. Torque definitely increased, but HP didn't increase as much as expected at peak, but did increase over the range.
Anyone else done a dyno recently on Stage 2?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 12:37 PM   #96
Cmoney135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthltm View Post
I'm talking to a local shop here in Dallas. Quoted me the same price as Dinan website for the software and $125 to install. I just had PPK done so if I move forward this will put me at about $1,300 worth of tuning in 3 months

EDIT: My local shop doesn't know when the deal will end, but says he has never seen a sale like this in 20 years.
Dinan's Facebook said thru Feb
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 02:25 PM   #97
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:

I have PPK and I got the Dinan S2 tune. I think it's a decent bump in power over PPK and I retained all my PPK sounds, which was very important to me.

Called my Dinan rep and like others have said here, he said the half price sale is through February. I didn't get it at that sale price, but I would do it again even at the price I paid.

Last edited by Esteban; 02-03-2017 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
Dthltm77.00
      02-03-2017, 02:56 PM   #98
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I have a 135is (#399) and still feel the S2 was worth it. PE sounds as lovely as ever.
Appreciate 1
VRG_135836.50
      02-03-2017, 03:09 PM   #99
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katkarot View Post
I am interested in getting this but then I started looking up some dynos on Dinan Stage 2 and it seems many have results lower than expected, not getting near declared peak HP or torque. Torque definitely increased, but HP didn't increase as much as expected at peak, but did increase over the range.
Anyone else done a dyno recently on Stage 2?
I have only seen one dyno for S2 and believe it was for a 335i n55. The before after dynos were run under different conditions on different days, so hard to tell where the reference really was. At the end of the day, HP/tq is measured by how fast you get down the track. Right now I can only give you butt dyno numbers.

I would say the S2 tune feels about as fast as a new Camaro SS and slightly faster than the 2011 Mustang GT I owned when it was stock. With the right tires and launch, probably a high 12 second car. Just my guess.
Appreciate 1
VRG_135836.50
      02-03-2017, 03:21 PM   #100
VRG_135
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Silver 135 DCT

I hope this is around at least another month.......
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 03:37 AM   #101
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep
Drives: f06 640i GC. E82 N54 135i

i cant believe you guys spend your money on such old yet very expensive tuning solutions, and i dont wanna hear warranty as an excuse ive had my turbos, transmissoon and plenty other things replaced under cpo without a problem flashing back to stock with cobb.

now i run MHD and i highly suggest you check it out its only gonna run you about 220$ thats including the tablet and cable and software yet you'll spend a tiny fraction and get a much more better software but thats just my opinion and it ends there it just hurts to see all that money go to waste for me i guess when down the road most people end up getting a real flash eventually pun intended
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 05:43 AM   #102
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Not sure if this is the interview you're referring to, but either way there is some interesting stuff here. I pretty much enjoyed all 98 minutes of it but if some people don't want to listen to all of it (which is completely understandable), at least check out a couple of pertinent questions put to Steve and his answers at points 65:15 through 67:23 and 78:52 through 81:28.

http://www.dinancars.com/steve-dinan...-tire-podcast/
      02-04-2017, 06:21 AM   #103
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsocold View Post
i cant believe you guys spend your money on such old yet very expensive tuning solutions, and i dont wanna hear warranty as an excuse ive had my turbos, transmissoon and plenty other things replaced under cpo without a problem flashing back to stock with cobb.

now i run MHD and i highly suggest you check it out its only gonna run you about 220$ thats including the tablet and cable and software yet you'll spend a tiny fraction and get a much more better software but thats just my opinion and it ends there it just hurts to see all that money go to waste for me i guess when down the road most people end up getting a real flash eventually pun intended
For your information, I waited on the MHD. I'm one of the lucky ones which requires a bench flash done first before I can go the fully DIY route that you enjoy. What concerned me was reading about how MHD is having difficulties sorting out why they can only do one flash with their software. Then there's the individual in the main MHD thread in Australia who didn't need to do a bench flash but appears to have bricked his DME. He hasn't updated the thread with his current status. But reading through what he's done and even pulling in someone who is supposed to be an expert in flashing DMEs didn't give me the warm fuzzies.

I'm glad you're one of the fortunate ones that can just use the MHD software straight away and haven't had any issues. For me seeing the combination of MHD having problems with unlocking locked DMEs and someone with an unlocked DME seemingly having a bricked DME, I don't want to be that lucky lottery winner. As I've gotten older, my time has become more and more a precious commodity. I don't have the time to have to deal with long drawn out issues. How I gauge whether something is worth me trying with the probable required time spent is using my calculated hourly rate for what I get paid at work. I can tell you the cost savings between the MHD and the sale price of the Dinan tune isn't worth it when I factor in the risk involved and my hourly rate having to deal with it.

Last edited by zx10guy; 02-04-2017 at 06:28 AM..
Appreciate 2
VRG_135836.50
      02-04-2017, 06:42 AM   #104
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
For your information, I waited on the MHD. I'm one of the lucky ones which requires a bench flash done first before I can go the fully DIY route that you enjoy. What concerned me was reading about how MHD is having difficulties sorting out why they can only do one flash with their software. Then there's the individual in the main MHD thread in Australia who didn't need to do a bench flash but appears to have bricked his DME. He hasn't updated the thread with his current status. But reading through what he's done and even pulling in someone who is supposed to be an expert in flashing DMEs didn't give me the warm fuzzies.

I'm glad you're one of the fortunate ones that can just use the MHD software straight away and haven't had any issues. For me seeing the combination of MHD having problems with unlocking locked DMEs and someone with an unlocked DME seemingly having a bricked DME, I don't want to be that lucky lottery winner. As I've gotten older, my time has become more and more a precious commodity. I don't have the time to have to deal with long drawn out issues. How I gauge whether something is worth me trying with the probable required time spent is using my calculated hourly rate for what I get paid at work. I can tell you the cost savings between the MHD and the sale price of the Dinan tune isn't worth it when I factor in the risk involved and my hourly rate having to deal with it.
Exactly my logic as well. If I had purchased an 08-09 for less than $15k, maybe I'd consider it, but considering my car is under warranty, I wanted something considered more bulletproof and not in beta. If I'm taking time out from work because I'm dealing with car issues, that's $$$$ I'm not earning. And at my point in life, my boss doesn't want to hear me say I have car troubles very many times lol.
Appreciate 2
      02-04-2017, 07:48 AM   #105
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e30 M3, e46 M3

Yeah, what they said.

++1

5/2012 build
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 11:25 AM   #106
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Quote:

I had mine done at Autoscope on Denton yesterday and it was great. I can definitely tell a difference with the Dinan tune, and it changes the behavior of the DCT a lot. It drives more like "sport" mode in normal mode. It definitely works with the DCT, unlike the Jb4 which seemed to be working against the DCT with tons of lag and weird shifting behavior. I wouldn't have paid $1200 for it but at $700 its definitely worth it.
      02-04-2017, 11:52 AM   #107
Dthltm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i / Deep Sea Blue on Taupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
I had mine done at Autoscope on Denton yesterday and it was great. I can definitely tell a difference with the Dinan tune, and it changes the behavior of the DCT a lot. It drives more like "sport" mode in normal mode. It definitely works with the DCT, unlike the Jb4 which seemed to be working against the DCT with tons of lag and weird shifting behavior. I wouldn't have paid $1200 for it but at $700 its definitely worth it.
Been chatting with autoscope park cities, small world. So it holds gears longer higher into the rev range? I really like sport mode but it seems to me its with a 15-20% fuel consumption penalty, not data just gut feel. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't have got an 135 if mpg was paramount but getting 18mpg in a small 2 door seems silly

First I really need new wheels and tires more to make my daily driver better. it's just that the sale makes this really enticing. Got PPK last month and the car is great, I just want to understand the pros and cons of Dinan before I pull the trigger

Last edited by Dthltm; 02-04-2017 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 12:09 PM   #108
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Been chatting with autoscope park cities, small world. So it holds gears longer higher into the rev range? I really like sport mode but it seems to me its with a 15-20% fuel consumption penalty, not data just gut feel. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't have got an 135 if mpg was paramount but getting 18mpg in a small 2 door seems silly
I work at home so no real daily driving, but I take her out for a fun drive every day. I drive in manual mode with the sport button pressed exclusively. I average 13/14 mpg. I don't care, I'm having too much fun. Haha
      02-04-2017, 12:15 PM   #109
bluebeemer
Dinan S3, VRSF FMIC,Inlets,Whiteline RSFB, M3 arms
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i MT

Dinan Stage 2 installed on my '09 135i for about $600 at Bimmers R Us in St Louis yesterday. Extremely pleased with power, torque and smoothness of the throttle response. Fuel mileage on way home was 29 running 70 mph based on fill up (not car computed). Car is completely stock except phoenix charge pipe. Fresh walnut blast and plugs. Will install ATM fmic as soon as they get another production run.
Appreciate 2
Dthltm77.00
c1pher4653.50
      02-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #110
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeemer View Post
Dinan Stage 2 installed on my '09 135i for about $600 at Bimmers R Us in St Louis yesterday. Extremely pleased with power, torque and smoothness of the throttle response. Fuel mileage on way home was 29 running 70 mph based on fill up (not car computed). Car is completely stock except phoenix charge pipe. Fresh walnut blast and plugs. Will install ATM fmic as soon as they get another production run.
Auto or manual?
Appreciate 1
Dthltm77.00