BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-28-2012, 01:48 AM   #23
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
I'll host a BBQ so everyone can come down and check it
Sounds awesome! I am so down!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 02:19 AM   #24
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

Quote:
I'll host a BBQ so everyone can come down and check it
Put me on this invite list! Would love to see this.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #25
Grayson
Heisenberg
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fboutlaw View Post
Put me on this invite list! Would love to see this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Sounds awesome! I am so down!

I'm going to talk to my shop and see how much something like this might run, and where I could cut corners price wise.

AR Catless Downpipes | Berk Full Street Exhaust | HPF FMIC | COBB AP | aFe Magnum Stage 2 | E93 M3 Front Sway Bar & Bushings | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | Hardwired Radar | Eurotek BBS LM | Schmiedmann LCI Blacklines | BMW Performance: Spoiler, Diffuser, Shift Boot, E-Brake
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 05:02 AM   #26
w.eric
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3 DY

Hi Grayson, would appreciate any updates from this mod. Also found out M-Style UK is selling the same bodykit with a better price.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #27
Curare86
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
I'm going to talk to my shop and see how much something like this might run, and where I could cut corners price wise.
Did you figure out the details? I'm curious how much work it'd take to get those rear fenders sorted...

Last edited by Curare86; 07-10-2012 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: Im an idiot who missed a thread answering my question immediately below this one
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #28
Grayson
Heisenberg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare86 View Post
Did you figure out the details? I'm curious how much work it'd take to get those rear fenders sorted...
Not yet, I'm debating whether or not I want to do the full kit or just the front end. I love the front bumper and fenders, but I'm not a huge fan of the rear bumper/quad exhaust so I'm not sure what I want to do yet. I will definitely keep people posted though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w.eric View Post
Hi Grayson, would appreciate any updates from this mod. Also found out M-Style UK is selling the same bodykit with a better price.
Yes, I found that too. I liked the customer service I got from CATI much more, and they beat the price of M-Style UK when I asked them too.

AR Catless Downpipes | Berk Full Street Exhaust | HPF FMIC | COBB AP | aFe Magnum Stage 2 | E93 M3 Front Sway Bar & Bushings | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | Hardwired Radar | Eurotek BBS LM | Schmiedmann LCI Blacklines | BMW Performance: Spoiler, Diffuser, Shift Boot, E-Brake
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #29
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
So a slightly offtopic mention: I had my front bumper ruined while it was in shop. So I am going to get it replaced. I asked my SA if they could get a 1M front bumper for me instead and what the cost difference would be. 3K for mostly paint... Let me know if you can get a steal for a paint job. I may go OEM 1M front, but I need to figure this out now. The damage is being looked at, at a local body shop. (They broke the tabs though, so it's definitely a lost front bumper.)
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #30
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
So a slightly offtopic mention: I had my front bumper ruined while it was in shop. So I am going to get it replaced. I asked my SA if they could get a 1M front bumper for me instead and what the cost difference would be. 3K for mostly paint... Let me know if you can get a steal for a paint job. I may go OEM 1M front, but I need to figure this out now. The damage is being looked at, at a local body shop. (They broke the tabs though, so it's definitely a lost front bumper.)
is that 3K for bumper, ducting, fender well liners, fenders and sideskirts?
If so, that doesn't seem too bad.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #31
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Nope, just fenders and paint. And if I want to blend doors it would be 5k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
is that 3K for bumper, ducting, fender well liners, fenders and sideskirts?
If so, that doesn't seem too bad.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #32
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Nope, just fenders and paint. And if I want to blend doors it would be 5k.
get them to just price you the parts and do paint elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #33
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Good idea, just left my SA a voicemail. I'll let ya know what he says.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
get them to just price you the parts and do paint elsewhere.
Darn... they already fixed it up...

Last edited by Venom; 07-11-2012 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: nope
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #34
w.eric
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3 DY

Has anyone found out what are these bumper made of? I popped the question in the email but was left unanswered furthermore it isn't stated on their page too.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #35
Curare86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by w.eric View Post
Has anyone found out what are these bumper made of? I popped the question in the email but was left unanswered furthermore it isn't stated on their page too.
Not yet; I've asked them too and just got an email saying they'd get back to me with all the info within 24h. Will keep you posted
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #36
Grayson
Heisenberg
Rep

I sent them an email just now on the materials. They've been getting back to me pretty quickly so I'll let you guys know what they say.

On another note, I sent the website to my shop and they said it looks really nice from the website. Of course there is no real way to tell until it arrives, its still nice not to hear them tell me to forget about it.

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 04:08 AM   #37
Curare86
Captain
Rep

The other thing I don't think anyone's addressed is which 135i exhaust setups will be compatible with the conversion kits rear diffuser. Probably important as their custom made exhaust is only available with installation according to their website, ruling most of us out from getting it. Just emailed asking this so will let you all know
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #38
Grayson
Heisenberg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare86
The other thing I don't think anyone's addressed is which 135i exhaust setups will be compatible with the conversion kits rear diffuser. Probably important as their custom made exhaust is only available with installation according to their website, ruling most of us out from getting it. Just emailed asking this so will let you all know
Most quad exhausts made for the 135i should work okay. It also wouldn't be too hard to expand the diffuser cutouts to accommodate larger tips if you needed to. In terms of the material, here is the email I just got back:

"Hi Grayson,

All of the parts are made from FRP (Fibre reinforced plastic) this is a very good, strong, light material."

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #39
Curare86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Most quad exhausts made for the 135i should work okay. It also wouldn't be too hard to expand the diffuser cutouts to accommodate larger tips if you needed to.
Apparently not. They just emailed me back saying
"We have installed a few of these and the most labour intensive part of the conversion is the rear wings! The kit comes with rear arch widening that need to be moulded into the factory rear quarters and the inner quarters need to be cut and reshaped slightly in the lip edge. For an experienced body shop I would allow 8 hours labour per side for the widening excluding primer and painting. The other parts are pretty much bolt on.
The outlet positions are the same as 1M. The quad setups for 135i e.g. eisenmann etc won't work as the outlets of the exhausts on the 1M bumper are slightly more central. Custom would be your best option."
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #40
Grayson
Heisenberg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare86 View Post
Apparently not. They just emailed me back saying
"We have installed a few of these and the most labour intensive part of the conversion is the rear wings! The kit comes with rear arch widening that need to be moulded into the factory rear quarters and the inner quarters need to be cut and reshaped slightly in the lip edge. For an experienced body shop I would allow 8 hours labour per side for the widening excluding primer and painting. The other parts are pretty much bolt on.
The outlet positions are the same as 1M. The quad setups for 135i e.g. eisenmann etc won't work as the outlets of the exhausts on the 1M bumper are slightly more central. Custom would be your best option."
Interesting, I wish there was a way to just pull the stock fenders enough to make it look like it flows well. That way you could avoid 16+ labor hours and the install would be a lot more feasible. On the other hand, a custom exhaust is something that's pretty easy for a shop to do so that doesn't seem like a big deal. What's weird is that on their pictures, the exhaust outlets are not more central, they look spaced out a fair amount.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #41
Curare86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, I wish there was a way to just pull the stock fenders enough to make it look like it flows well. That way you could avoid 16+ labor hours and the install would be a lot more feasible. On the other hand, a custom exhaust is something that's pretty easy for a shop to do so that doesn't seem like a big deal. What's weird is that on their pictures, the exhaust outlets are not more central, they look spaced out a fair amount.
I guess the only way to know for sure is to measure. Also, air ducts, brackets and front and rear arch liners cost extra. Comes to approx £200 + vat retail
I got him to email me a couple of close up pics of the rear fenders as well to get a better idea of final result:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #42
J-Sin
The Artist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90-LCI & 2008 E82

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Just goto Schmiedmann.com and order through them. You can get the full M1 rep from Kerscher painted and shipped to the US for under 3k. I'm too lazy right now to go and price it all out of you guys but seriously check it out.

Betty White - 2011 E90LCI 328i - SOLD
Black Betty - 2008 E82 135i

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #43
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Grayson, is Heisenberg getting the wide body? Still waiting on that bbq =p
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #44
Grayson
Heisenberg
Rep

Quote:
Grayson, is Heisenberg getting the wide body? Still waiting on that bbq =p
Talking to my shop about feasibility tomorrow! If we did do it, it wouldn't be for a month or two. I'll definitely keep everyone posted though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznm0nk3y View Post
Just goto Schmiedmann.com and order through them. You can get the full M1 rep from Kerscher painted and shipped to the US for under 3k. I'm too lazy right now to go and price it all out of you guys but seriously check it out.

Would you mind linking to it?

Appreciate 0