BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
Rosaymaan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Rough weekend!... garage door vs. new car

So on top of the water spots issue I'm dealing with (which btw has pretty much eben solved)...one of my roomates/or my landlord closed the garage door on my car...

It was half way in/out as I was working on polishing out the water spots I have. Went to grab a bite downt he street... came back and BAM. Garage door is resting on my car. I wanted to cry, but rage ensued...

Now that I have calmed down a bit, i am trying to figure out the best way to fix.

I can post pics later... but:

The damage is on the upper lip of the rear bumper (left center location) right on top/across where the two body lines are that form the .5 inch upper lip of the bumper. Because it's on a body line I know the diagnosis isnt great... but at this point I just need to do some homework about where to go to get an honest answer as to what needs to be done. I live in Los Angeles.

I visited SOS Dent in Santa Monica and the guy told me he would need to fix and respray the whole bumper to make it look new again... quoted me $550 to do so.

Can anyone suggest a trustworthy place to take my baby? Quality of work and honest come before $$ in my opinion. You always get what you pay for.

Also, is it possible to purchase a painted OEM bumpers and have someone replace it? Maybe that could save me some $...

Hope one of you can help me feel better about this shitty situation!
      10-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

Wait, no one owned up to this??? I would keep asking till someone fessed up to the crime and offered to pay you back for the damage. Unless... The door had a timer and closes by itself? My garage door does that.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' BSM E82

sorry about your bumper man but i'd suggest C&C collision in pasadena, when i get my iCarbon hood and trunk i'm going to take them there to get them painted. all the MFest guys take their cars there and they do work
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
My wife was driving my Audi A4 Cabriolet back in the day, and was rear ended by a young girl. Of course, my wife "felt bad" and didn't want to go through insurance, but that's a different story.

Anyhow, the shop quoted a new bumper installed for 1k or so, or 500 to fix it. Since the girl was paying and it was a lease we went with the 500 option. I'm very picky, and you couldn't tell it was ever damaged. Don't worry, just find a top notch shop, clearly define your expectations, and you'll be fine.

I would insist that the bumper be removed and repaired/painted OFF the car- this should help prevent overspray, scratches, buffer burn, etc. Don't let them touch the rest of the car.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post

I would insist that the bumper be removed and repaired/painted OFF the car- this should help prevent overspray, scratches, buffer burn, etc. Don't let them touch the rest of the car.
agreed!!!! otherwise you will be claying and polishing out more than just water spots!!!!
Appreciate 0