BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

replaced parking light assemblies. Now get brake light warning.

Hey all,

My parking lights stopped working so I replaced my both rear assemblies with a couple of used units I found on ebay.

As an aside, I thought they had the newer part number, but they were manufactured in '08. So I guess it is just a matter of time until these fail as well. Oh well. The price was right. Well get the upgraded seals and install.

Anyways, I digress. I replaced both units and both park lights now work fine. As do the signal, brake and reverse lights on both assemblies.

However, I now get the 'bulb' warning light when I start or shut off the car. Idrive display says that the left brake light is out. But it works.

Now, when I first replaced the left assembly, the brake and signal lights did not work. As it turns out the unit I bought was missing those bulbs. To remedy, I replaced the whole bulb assembly from my old unit.

So, long story short, replaced both assemblies, all lights now work, but car is telling me left brake light does not work.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Replace BOTH (sides) brake lights with new Osram or Philips bulbs. Then report back.

When you only replace one side... the different resistance from new bulb on one side to old bulb on the other side of the car - will cause the bulb check system to throw a bulb warning.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I will try that. however, I ended up using my old bulbs and bulb housings for both of the new assemblies. So it is the same bulbs as from my old assemblies.

Do you know part numbers for any of the suggested bulbs? Is there just one brake light bulb per assembly?
Appreciate 0