BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

Almost time to let my 135 go

My lease on the 135i is almost over.I am in the last week of ownership and I will miss it a lot.It was my first BMW and has held my attention and interest in the brand.It has been a part of many happy days and has never given me trouble[except the first winter..until I brought my winter setup].I just wish I had driven more miles on it though.After months of contemplation,I have decided not to buy out the lease.I think its time to let it go.I need a change.It's sad as it would be the last car with some true BMW DNA left within.

Unfortunately I don't have any cars that I am considering out there apart from the cayman S.I will wait until the M4 and the 235 come out before zeroing on one of those.This means that I am going to drive a boring automatic vehicle for the coming year.
I just hope it finds a good owner to take care of it.Time to get rid of the winter setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthestck View Post
My lease on the 135i is almost over.I am in the last week of ownership and I will miss it a lot.It was my first BMW and has held my attention and interest in the brand.It has been a part of many happy days and has never given me trouble[except the first winter..until I brought my winter setup].I just wish I had driven more miles on it though.After months of contemplation,I have decided not to buy out the lease.I think its time to let it go.I need a change.It's sad as it would be the last car with some true BMW DNA left within.

Unfortunately I don't have any cars that I am considering out there apart from the cayman S.I will wait until the M4 and the 235 come out before zeroing on one of those.This means that I am going to drive a boring automatic vehicle for the coming year.
I just hope it finds a good owner to take care of it.Time to get rid of the winter setup.
I'm just curious if you've discussed with BMW Financial the possibility of extending the lease a couple of months perhaps? Not sure if they do that or not, or in what length increments, but might hold you over til the M235 and M4 come out.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:

i don't think the 235 is going to be as natural or as enjoyable as the 135......have you considered getting another 135? perhaps one of the last "135is" editions that are still sitting around at dealerships? i'm sure they would be offering massive discounts now that 2014 is almost here.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep

I did try to extend my lease hoping the 235 would be here.I am on the 3rd month of lease extension[max allowed].I had also considered a 135is for a while [I wouldnt have to deal with selling my winter tires].That meant that I had to stick to the same model for another 3 yrs.After due consideration I felt that the family needed a bigger car this time around.As much as I loved the 135i,there were days I was left wanting a bigger ,luxurious car for the family.Its surprising that BMW isn't able to get the electric steering right.I wasn't that observant but certainly did not miss the hydraulic setup on the Porsche.I hear that its better on the 4 than the 3.I hope they will figure it out in time.

Meanwhile,enjoy your car guys.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Uhm just get the cayman S. Do you really think the m235 is going to even come close to that? I'll take a NA mid engined porsche sports car over that any day of the week. Heck its probably my next car after i get sick of the 1.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Quote:
I did try to extend my lease hoping the 235 would be here.I am on the 3rd month of lease extension[max allowed].I had also considered a 135is for a while [I wouldnt have to deal with selling my winter tires].That meant that I had to stick to the same model for another 3 yrs.After due consideration I felt that the family needed a bigger car this time around.As much as I loved the 135i,there were days I was left wanting a bigger ,luxurious car for the family.Its surprising that BMW isn't able to get the electric steering right.I wasn't that observant but certainly did not miss the hydraulic setup on the Porsche.I hear that its better on the 4 than the 3.I hope they will figure it out in time.

Meanwhile,enjoy your car guys.
Got me confused about getting a bigger car and the Cayman is being considered. A family car the Cayman isn't.

What about a couple year old 335i CPO?

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Why don't you consider 435i coupe?

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overpar56 View Post
Got me confused about getting a bigger car and the Cayman is being considered. A family car the Cayman isn't.

What about a couple year old 335i CPO?
We do long 10-11 hr drives to visit family quite often and we ended up racking all those miles on my wives car.That was the reason to move to a family car this time.The cayman S/235/M4 or any other sporty car would[hopefully] be my third car.If the closest Porsche dealer wasn't 3 hrs away I would have signed a deal the day I test drove the CS.But after due thought I did not want to end up in the same situation as before.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
CptSlow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S

Quote:

If it helps.....

Traded the 135is for a 2014 Cayman S. If you don't need practicality....at all...and don't need back seats, I guarantee you that you will not regret the Cayman.
2011 E82 128i STEP (wife's car)
2007 E92 335i (SOLD) 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSlow View Post
If it helps.....

Traded the 135is for a 2014 Cayman S. If you don't need practicality....at all...and don't need back seats, I guarantee you that you will not regret the Cayman.
Do you miss the Hydraulic steering?The test drive on the CS was amazing,i just got carried away and never bothered checking the steering feel.I got out of the car with the widest grin possible.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
CptSlow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S

Quote:
Do you miss the Hydraulic steering?The test drive on the CS was amazing,i just got carried away and never bothered checking the steering feel.I got out of the car with the widest grin possible.
Don't miss the hydraulic steering one bit. Porsche got that absolutely right. It's a point and shoot car, and you won't miss. Take it for a longer drive before you buy as your mileage may vary. But honestly, I'd buy the CS again. I'd choose it over the 135is, E92 M3 that I sold, my friend's 911, and I chose it over the FType, Evora, and Aston V8 Vantage too. I loved the 135is, then drove the CS. If you aren't prepared to buy one, don't drive one.
2011 E82 128i STEP (wife's car)
2007 E92 335i (SOLD) 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 06:05 AM   #12
potxoli
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO F80

why don't you buy out the 135i? My lease ends in March and I can't think of anything else i want. My residual is just shy of $25K and I only have 20,000 miles on the car, so seems like a fair deal. Monthly Payments will actually go down for me. Even if you keep it only an extra year, it should make financial sense.

It's funny how there is nothing else I wish to lease at this point. This is the first time ever in the past 20 years that I would keep my car for more than 3 years. I want a nice sporty car in the 50K or less range. I need a useable back seat as my only criteria which eliminates p-cars. The 235i costs close to 2x what my residual is and it does not feel like an "upgrade". The 435i seems like a more bloated version of the 235i. S5 could be interesting, but we are pushing 60K for that and again, I think it would be a more bloated 135i.

Open to other suggestions
Appreciate 0