BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-22-2014, 01:48 AM   #23
OzJustin
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i AT Monaco Blue

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
I did a fair bit of research on the iDrive retrofits and what other options are available. Thought I would share with you all.

Bimmer Retrofit have the OEM units that can be retrofitted into non-iDrive cars. $2-3000 roughly.
(Includes E82 OEM CIC Navigation System Retrofit (80gb hdd based headunit, 8.8” display, iDrive controller, cables, latest maps etc)
http://bimmerretrofit.com/store/inde...ory&path=78_91

Alternately you can go for an aftermarket solution which will give just as much functionality. The only downside is you have to retrofit your stock headunit into the boot to maintain the car's full functionality.

JanusDesign make double din faceplates for the E82 to maintain the factory look with an aftermarket headunit. $200ish.
http://www.janus-design.net/english/...-din/index.php

Some aftermarket options:

Parrot Asteroid Smart ($500 from Amazon)
Full double-din. Runs off Android and has navigation, apps, multimedia and bluetooth.
It is a cheap option for all the features you get.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...view,3520.html

Kenwood DNN9330BT ($1400ish)
Full double din. Very similar to the Parrot and highly recommended over the Dynavin units. Has Garmin nav, multimedia, bluetooth, wifi etc.
http://www.kenwood.com/au/car/visual...ion/dnn9330bt/

Novtron (formerly Dynavin) (Approx $1100)
These don't have a great reputation from what I've read.
http://www.maroochycarsound.com.au/a...rt-integration

Hope that gives you some ideas.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 03:41 AM   #24
Curare86
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by white08135i View Post
i know its an old thread. but was this ever done?
Yup ive done it. Biiig big job. Having said that, I removed the whole dash. It can be done without dash removal which was a lot of the work... helps if you have the storage tray in your dash so you dont have to cut it... if you dont get a custom cable setup from one of the companies then you also need the skill to cut and splice wiring to power it....
Apart from the retrofit kit from bimmer retrofit/ebay you will also need a whole new centre console. If you use an aftermarket gps antenna thats much easier than the oem setup. If you want the oem setup you need a new sharkfin antenna, as well as to remove the roof headliner, rear interior door panel, rear seats and shark fin
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 11:44 PM   #25
BMW78
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: E88 125

Smile CIC retrofit

Hi, just ordered a retrofit CIC kit for my E88 (currently with CCC business navigation), I’ve got all parts arriving pre-coded to vehicle and activated so it should be simple "plug and play" . Now, I think I should be able to do this myself but I was overconfident before and didn’t end up well, so any recommendation who can do this retrofit in Sydney that wont charge me ridiculous price?

PS : I know it’s a bit off topic but as I’m new member it won’t let me start a new post?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 12:21 AM   #26
morris86
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW78 View Post
Hi, just ordered a retrofit CIC kit for my E88 (currently with CCC business navigation), I’ve got all parts arriving pre-coded to vehicle and activated so it should be simple "plug and play" . Now, I think I should be able to do this myself but I was overconfident before and didn’t end up well, so any recommendation who can do this retrofit in Sydney that wont charge me ridiculous price?

PS : I know it’s a bit off topic but as I’m new member it won’t let me start a new post?
I'm interested to know where you bought it all and what the total cost was including pre-coding and shipping? My car is the same, Business Navigation, and I'd be interested in upgrading it to Professional if the price isn't too hefty.