BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #23
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

The ignorance of the comments on the article really just amazes me.

People saying they're rather take a mustang GT? My girlfriend's brother has an 09 GT and my 135i walked it when I was stock. Even the new GT can't hold a candle to a 1M...

I love mustangs for their character, history, etc.. But they're rough riding, not as fun, and simply not as well engineered as even a 135i, don't even get me started on a 1M. Just because Motor Trend (biggest joke of a magazine I've read :P) compared a top of the line Rustang with upgraded tires and brakes to a M3 with the worst factory tire option, and they "tied" around one certain track (and every track yields different results) (except the M3 was still preferred by editors for the refinement it offered) fanboys of both sides have been going at it.

Still, great review. Though I must agree with the "garish" orange color comment. Butt-Ugly Orange, Plain Jane White and Standard Black as the only three colors is an annoying decision.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #24
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post

People saying they're rather take a mustang GT? My girlfriend's brother has an 09 GT and my 135i walked it when I was stock. Even the new GT can't hold a candle to a 1M...

I love mustangs for their character, history, etc.. But they're rough riding, not as fun, and simply not as well engineered as even a 135i, don't even get me started on a 1M. Just because Motor Trend (biggest joke of a magazine I've read :P) compared a top of the line Rustang with upgraded tires and brakes to a M3 with the worst factory tire option, and they "tied" around one certain track (and every track yields different results) (except the M3 was still preferred by editors for the refinement it offered) fanboys of both sides have been going at it.

Still, great review. Though I must agree with the "garish" orange color comment. Butt-Ugly Orange, Plain Jane White and Standard Black as the only three colors is an annoying decision.

+1
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #25
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominoM View Post
I like the review. Very excited.

I don't like all the Mustang GT fanboys piling on every 1M review though.
They are afraid of the new competition...they were already fed up with the M3 running circles around the Rustang, but now they have to worry about the little brother as well
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #26
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: planning my getaway

Quote "As other, I think the 135i with a minor tune such as JB4 and Vishnu tune would do a better job, especially when 135i can be opted in DCT which is a must for me"

Some of the comments on edmunds article are retarded. The 1M isn't just a 135i with a tune, but if that's what they think then good it just means more 1Ms for the rest of us.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #27
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

The new stang is a different beast. It's fun as hell, but still lacks the refinement and precision of the 135i. I'd suggest driving the 5.0 before you so quickly dismiss it. I would never go for the 5.0 instead of the m, but it is far from being a slouch. Its raw performance numbers are quite close to the m, but it won't be at all comparable to the m's gestalt driving experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #28
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargedman View Post
The new stang is a different beast. It's fun as hell, but still lacks the refinement and precision of the 135i. I'd suggest driving the 5.0 before you so quickly dismiss it. I would never go for the 5.0 instead of the m, but it is far from being a slouch. Its raw performance numbers are quite close to the m, but it won't be at all comparable to the m's gestalt driving experience.
Some of us including myself just don't have any interest in owning any Ford or GM product. Regardless how different, powerful, whatever...just not my coup of tea.

Whisky is Scotch, Cigars are Cuban, watches are Swiss, and cars are not American...closed minded, maybe, but it is what it is.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #29
Madozu
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1M / M3 E36 3.2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Whisky is Scotch, Cigars are Cuban, watches are Swiss, and cars are not American...closed minded, maybe, but it is what it is.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #30
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash83 View Post
I would still pick an M3 over 1M .

I think u will get more from your $$ with an M3. A special Engine not a TUNED version, The long wheel base chassis and over all NO BS from the dealer and the limited order allocation.
1M doesn't have a "tuned" engine; it's the IDENTICAL engine to non-M cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 11:41 PM   #31
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

If I lived in the US, I would buy myself a Shelby Mustang Super Snake or Camaro ZL1. So cheap! (relative to what I'm used to paying for my cars here).
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 11:41 PM   #32
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
Just want to get this correct. In your opinion the 1M motor was not tuned by M engineers for more output than the same non M motor in the z435is?

If this is the case, put me on record as disagreeing with you. Time and a dyno will tell who is correct. :-).
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 07:00 AM   #33
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Incorrect if you consider the entire powerplant then there is a different flywheel, intake, exhaust. Also what about overboost? Are non M cars capable of this?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 07:06 AM   #34
evolution80
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 silverstone

Garage List
Originally Posted by MrRoboto

+1

enjoy your cars

Last edited by evolution80; 05-06-2011 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: double quote didnt work
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 07:07 AM   #35
evolution80
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 silverstone

Garage List
Quote:
Incorrect if you consider the entire powerplant then there is a different flywheel, intake, exhaust. Also what about overboost? Are non M cars capable of this?
x2!!!

enjoy your cars
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #36
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The ENGINE is IDENTICAL. It has the same HP, same torque, same overboost as 335iS.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #37
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
The ENGINE is IDENTICAL. It has the same HP, same torque, same overboost as 335iS.
Nope, thats not correct. Check BMW USA for stats. 1M has more HP etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #38
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Get your facts straight. As per BMW website.

1M - 335HP, 332ft/lbs
335is - 320HP, 332ft/lbs
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #39
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep

Sorry, Z4 sDrive35iS. I knew they both had a bump, went and looked to verify both, then typed the wrong one. D'oh!

I'm guessing you both already knew that, but rather than confirm that you already knew I was right (this is not an engine unique to M), you just busted my chops for the error?

Eh, whatever. You caught me citing the wrong non-M car.

It doesn't matter anyway. I still think the 1M is a great little car. If I can't convince myself to do without a back seat, it's at the top of my list of cars.
Appreciate 0