BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-18-2009, 01:20 AM   #1
pdxlager
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330xi, X3, 135i

iPod USB Cable and iPhone: don't use the cup holder!

This is a mea culpa, but I've destroyed 2 USB cables so far, specifically the 30-pin connector that plugs into my iPhone. Here's how: While getting into my car I decide my iPhone is running low on juice, and I want to give it a quick charge. Instead of inserting it into the iPod pouch under the arm rest (which takes "too long" because I'm incredibly lazy) I simply plug it in and place it in the closest cup holder. The iPhone goes down top-first so the base (where the connector is inserted) can reach.

Then I lower the armrest and eventually put my arm on it and *crunch* goes the connector. Fortunately no damage has been done to the iPhone, but the cable is worthless at that point, because it no longer sees the device. It won't even charge it.

I've gone through two (one given to me by the dealer for Euro Delivery, and another that was put in the car when it came back from Europe) and will probably get a third, and hopefully third time is a charm.

On a similar note, unless I'm going on a long road trip, I actually find plugging in the iPod to take "too long" (remember: lazy) -- and I rarely use this feature. I'd love if both the phone and the car supported a stereo/audio Bluetooth profile to just work without plugging anything in...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 08:04 AM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

That's part of v3.0 that's due in June. Bluetooth audio streaming will be very welcome.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
What I do is keep my iphone in a rubber case. I plug it in to the cable and then just rest it sideways under the armrest. Never had a problem.