BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
theART
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Varies with season.

TPMS computer location

Anyone know where TPMS computer is located on 2008 1 series? On 3 series it's in the trunk on passenger side, but I check there on my 1 and it's not there.

Thanks

Art
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 03:39 AM   #2
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

you can check realoem.com also there is sensors which are on the front part of the fenders
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by theART View Post
Anyone know where TPMS computer is located on 2008 1 series? On 3 series it's in the trunk on passenger side, but I check there on my 1 and it's not there.

Thanks

Art
When my TPMS went out they traced the problem to poor wiring contact at the TPMS control unit, which they told me was located somewhere right under the shifter location, towards the passenger side.

Originally they blamed my aftermarket subs that I installed for my TPMS failure.
When they fiddled with removing my subs the TPMS reset, but it went out at the dealership when I picked my car up.
They finally traced it to poor wiring connection at the TPMS control unit, and when fiddling with the subs, mainly the passenger side, it was enough to nudge the wiring back into place.
So, it's in that location.

I don't know if you can access it by removing the subs and sub mounting box, or if you have to go under the car.
Sorry I can't be more exact than that.

After some research, it seems BMW is using "gen 3" TPMS, as of 2010 model year. Pre gen3, the TPMS consisted of a sensor in each tire that then transmits a signal to a receiver in each corner wheel well that then sends a signal to a central control unit then to the ECU.
The new gen3 system no longer has a receiver at each corner wheel well.
So, it's a tire sensor that transmits to a central control unit then onto the ECU. Less parts, less to go wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
theART
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Varies with season.

Dag out info in my ALLDATA )

TPMS (RDC) computer is located in the trunk to the right of the battery, same location where battery is on '3 series.

Long story short found my RDC submerged in 6" of water

Art
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
sbrauns
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 135I

I got a 2009 135i and am looking for the RDC controller to disconnect it and disable it by coding.
I looked in the location theArt suggested. There is a controller there, but not the RDC controller. Any suggestions where it is?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
sbrauns
Netherlands
Rep

After reading out my VO. I found out that there is no option 2VB so i guess no RDC controller. But in my CIC there is a option for Tire pressure. Does anybody knows how this works. I thought all bmw's with run flats have the TPMS system.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrauns View Post
After reading out my VO. I found out that there is no option 2VB so i guess no RDC controller. But in my CIC there is a option for Tire pressure. Does anybody knows how this works. I thought all bmw's with run flats have the TPMS system.

thanks

Only US spec cars have TPMS in the wheels and a ECU in the car. All other countries use the ABS computer to monitor wheel speed/drag when a tire is going flat. So I would suspect the SW is built into the ABS ecu on those cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
sbrauns
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Only US spec cars have TPMS in the wheels and a ECU in the car. All other countries use the ABS computer to monitor wheel speed/drag when a tire is going flat. So I would suspect the SW is built into the ABS ecu on those cars.
Whooo I did not know that! That's why I could not find it. I though it would be the same here. Well I guess that my tire pressure monitoring system will also work with my winter than. Great!
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
My US manual says that it monitors wheel rotational speed to determine a flat.
Are you sure we have pressure sensors in the tires?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrauns View Post
Whooo I did not know that! That's why I could not find it. I though it would be the same here. Well I guess that my tire pressure monitoring system will also work with my winter than. Great!
Thanks
One quick way to tell is that US cars (with the TPMS) have a metal valve stem, while ROW (rest of the world) models have a rubber valve stem(w/abs tpms system).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
My US manual says that it monitors wheel rotational speed to determine a flat.
Are you sure we have pressure sensors in the tires?

It is mandated by US law. We can thank Firestone tires and Ford Explorer's for this.

You could always let some air out of one of your tires and wee the warning light go off(on).
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 11:53 PM   #12
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
It is mandated by US law. We can thank Firestone tires and Ford Explorer's for this.

You could always let some air out of one of your tires and wee the warning light go off(on).
I see.
In that case BMW forgot to update their USA manuals.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #13
wtftuck
Registered
Rep
Drives: Blue E88

Angry

I have a 2009 E88 and I've been struggling trying to find the RDC TPMS receiver. It's been coded out completely so all I have to do now is remove it and I've been trying to remove it for about a month.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0