BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-23-2015, 09:28 AM   #1
VroomVroomRaceCar
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Le Mans Blue

Reading codes on Carly vs JB4 reader (No codes present)

Hey Guys,

2011 135i N55 6MT with light mods and a non-ISO JB4. I’m also using Carly for BMW (the free version right now) to see if I have any codes or anything.

So the issue was I was having trouble starting my car (resolved, battery cable was loose at the B+ terminal in the engine compartment) and my car had a SERVICE ENGINE SOON light on so there were codes stored for sure. I turned my JB4 to map 0 (to allow ODB access) and used a normal code reader to pull info and nothing at all came back. So I used my Carly app to pull codes as the normal reader misses A LOT (thanks BMW).

The Carly came back with 9 codes stored but I can’t see them without buying the full version (50$s not ready yet). So I decide to pull out my laptop to connect up to the JB4 to see what’s going on.

The JB4 connects fine but tells me I have no stored codes at all. Which is crazy since my SES light is on. Plus doesn't the JB4 itself create a few codes? (I know it autoclears them) but was it auto clearing all the codes too I assumed it would be able to show me what the Carly had seen but am I wrong here?

So what’s the best way to read the BMW specific codes for troubleshooting /debugging?

TL;DR: SES on, Carly says codes exist, JB4 to laptop says no codes at all. How do I read codes?

Thanks & Danke,
-R
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 09:40 AM   #2
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Mod List Please. JB4 has a feature that turns on the SES light and flashes it for different reasons, check out the FAQ on N54 tech.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 10:42 AM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Only a few tools actually read all the codes. Bavarian Technic tool, Icarly full version.

Not all the tunes read all the codes as this car has shadow codes too which need true BMW diagnostic tools to read them.

$50 is money well spent to read codes and diagnose a problem IMO.

A bav tech tool will cost you nearly $200 and generic code readers for $35-80 won't read BMW shadow codes.
Appreciate 0