BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Exclamation HELP - Car spat oil through the exhuast

Took the car to an independent BMW place, after I left the car started smoking really bad so stopped it immediately. And oil was leaking from the exhaust pipes ...actual liquid oil. Towed it back to the shop and oil was every where and the rear turbo was leaking oil. Is the turbo gone? do both need replacing (both tips had oil)? is there anything else that would cause this?

Havn't had any luck with the car the past 6 months. My car has done 117k KMs and no mods on engine ever.
      02-09-2013, 01:05 AM   #2
F80_M3llow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 135i  [7.00]
Turbo seal went bye bye
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 01:29 AM   #3
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinT1addict View Post
Turbo seal went bye bye
So replacing the turbo should fix the issue? Right? Or can this seal be replaced?

I'm looking at used will know today if its for sale. If not planning on getting a remanufactured one from ECS tuning as the dealer is asking 1414$ for a new one. Are these as good as new ones?

Anybody knows why this has happened? Is it because of mileage?
      02-09-2013, 03:43 AM   #4
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Well according to the shop, the "Turbo Impeller" has come out of its place. Anybody had this issue before? Would high mileage cause this?
      02-09-2013, 04:27 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

High miles could cause it. But its more about how good the turbo's inner bearing is and how you shut off the engine after driving the car hard. Like so many here say you don't need to let the engine (idle) cool down after hard spirited driving - its always a good idea to do so. I'm not saying thats what you did - I am just saying thats how old turbos would die. This is why I like to change my engine oil frequently and sooner than BMW says too.

I know BMW changed the wastegate shaft(size) on the later built cars (~2009 or so) onwards builds. Maybe they also changed the turbine's bearing size too. ?

I find it very odd that your turbo failed while at your indi shop. Maybe they drove your car kind of hard on a test drive?

You can buy a new turbo from any of the forum sponsors here for about ~ $600 each. Good luck with the repair.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 04:33 AM   #6
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
High miles could cause it. But its more about how good the turbo's inner bearing is and how you shut off the engine after driving the car hard. Like so many here say you don't need to let the engine (idle) cool down after hard spirited driving - its always a good idea to do so. I'm not saying thats what you did - I am just saying thats how old turbos would die. This is why I like to change my engine oil frequently and sooner than BMW says too.

I know BMW changed the wastegate shaft(size) on the later built cars (~2009 or so) onwards builds. Maybe they also changed the turbine's bearing size too. ?

I find it very odd that your turbo failed while at your indi shop. Maybe they drove your car kind of hard on a test drive?

You can buy a new turbo from any of the forum sponsors here for about ~ $600 each. Good luck with the repair.
As always valuable info Dack, honestly I just shut the car off directly guess I would need to change that habit. I was there with tech the whole time he was changing the oil, they didn't even drive the car.

I think what happened is during my injectors issue only once I had a lot of white smoke on cold start up. Then after I replaced the injectors it was all good, so didn't think anything of it. I one issue was hidden under the other in a sort of way. I got a hold of a used one of a guy who swapped his for RB (has 50K km or so on it) for 350$. If this one has issues will get one of the sponsors and it would still be cheaper than the dealer (for both used and remanufactured).

I really hope this would be the end things breaking in the car and I can go back to enjoying it.
      02-09-2013, 04:37 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by m7ammed View Post

I really hope this would be the end things breaking in the car and I can go back to enjoying it.
Yea.. I hope so too. We really need to send some BMW Love your way. Hang in there buddy.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 04:40 AM   #8
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Yea.. I hope so too. We really need to send some BMW Love your way. Hang in there buddy.
really do need it lol, still love the car