BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
Maranello455
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 09'M-3,99'M3,02'M-3,88'M6,74'T

Critical Warranty Problems

My 2009 135i is about to have its warranty expired in two months. The situation is that the car has only 13K miles and it has several issues which the dealer refuses to attend under warranty. Some of the issues are, Ticking noise in the engine,Turbos need to be replaced, the brakes pads have never been replaced in four years, the dash has airbag indentation, the HPFP needs to be changed,the bushing at the end of the steering rack is defective and the steering rack needs to be replaced, both headlights have condensation, the side windows has defects by wind intrusion, the diff and transmission oils have never been changed in four years ect,ect. These are well known defects and issues well documented in these forum by other OP's.Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited by Maranello455; 02-02-2013 at 02:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

My guess is. The dealer will do some, but not all you have listed there in your thread.

Why you ask? Because you have so few miles that it truely is not necessary to do a service on some items.

This is the risk you run when driving a car so infrequently. My friend had the same situtation with VW and his GTI. He bought it new, but had another car he ran to work most of the time. Soo... he never got the free brake service ...because the car did not need it. Never had enough miles to require it.

Last edited by PA135i; 01-31-2013 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
audimotion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i/12 F250 CC PS/06 ML500

Why would you wait till now to get some of these issues addressed? When ever something comes up my with my cars, it gets fixed asap.

The dash might get fixed under warranty, but depends on dealer. Brake pads should be fine for a while...unless the dealer feels they should be replaced. If the trans and diff fluid need of replacment (they shouldnt with such low miles), its not a warranty issue. That cost is out of pocket. Ticking noise is normal with our cars injection system.

How do you know your turbo's are bad? Seems very low mileage for any issues...
HPFP is a free fix even out of warranty for up to 10 yrs.

The steering rack issue for sure is a warranty issue.

I also have low miles and opted not to get a extended warranty. I'm 1 yr past manufacturers warranty period with a little over 30K miles. In the past year I had ZERO issues and the car never saw the dealer ONCE. I'm hoping this year is the same.
08 135i |Alpine White w/ Terra Boston Leather|Sport Pkg| Premium Pkg| Shadowline| Gloss Black Trim| Nav| Comfort Access| Active Steering| Steptronic| Htd Seats| Prem. Sound/Sirius| Park Distance| PPK 1|BMS 4LED|M3 Sway Bar
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
Maranello455
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep

I just bought the car two months ago.
      01-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maranello455 View Post
Ticking noise in the engine,
Turbos need to be replaced,
the brakes pads have never been replaced in four years,
the dash has airbag indentation,
the HPFP needs to be changed,
the bushing at the end of the steering rack is defective and t
he steering rack needs to be replaced,
both headlights have condensation,
the side windows has defects by wind intrusion,
the diff and transmission oils have never been changed in four years

These are well known defects and issues well documented in these forum by other OP's...
So le tme start off by saying this my friend, i feel your frustration on this as you clearly feel you deserve these services. Let me help you on this one though. Check out the list below

1. Ticking noise in the engine, - if they check it out and it is an issue they will have to address it under warranty.
2. Turbos need to be replaced, - what makes you think this is true? Likely they wont just replace them because there is a buletin on them, there is no recall on the turbos even though there are known problems.
3. the brakes pads have never been replaced in four years, - if your car needs brakes now then you have another problem. The warranty only covers defective and worn out brakes. So your liekly wont be covered unless they get down to being out of spec.
4. the dash has airbag indentation, - they should take care of this and you might have to escalate it to BMWNA to get it resolved. I think others have had hit and miss success with this.
5. the HPFP needs to be changed, - same thing as the turbos, if not defective now they wont replace. I do believe though due the problems they have been extending the warranty on these items up until 100K miles. YOU HAVE TO CHECK WITH YOU SA ON THIS
6. the bushing at the end of the steering rack is defective - if it is truely defective they should replace it. howver the test is simple with the use of a screw driver, too much play = replace, otherwise = No replace
7. and the steering rack needs to be replaced, - same thing with the bushing however the bushing could fix any steering problems you might have if this is the case. they wont replace the steering rack jsut because, they will have to find the issue first. (or likely anyway, i heard of one case were they didnt question it and replaced the rack anyway, in that instance i believe they even bought the car back from them because of the issues but dont quote me on that my memory is foggy now a days)
8. both headlights have condensation, they should take care of this unless you have installed aftermarket bulbs that dont seal correctly.
9. the side windows has defects by wind intrusion, - I think we all have some wind noise, these cars are not but to royal standards. But if there is a defective seal then they should replace that.
10. the diff and transmission oils have never been changed in four years - these fluids are labeled lifetime. that means 100K to BMW and they will not replaced them unless you start to hear noises that you can reproduce for them at the dealer.

Some of these services are fairly cheap from an INDY i wouldnt worry about the fluids or brakes right away unless you have a true defect issue. The others i would get cehcked. they should at the very least tell you yes/no etc. you always have the right to contact BMWNA id you thnk are are being treated unfairly. However, take that with a grain of salt because if you called me with all the these issues i would think one of two things,
1. your dealer has really screwed you over or
2. you really arent experiencng all these issues and just want a hand out.

I am not weighing in on either way just telling you like it is and hopefully you can get some progress made.
      01-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
Maranello455
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep

I am not expecting, nor do I need a free handout. I have owned over 20 Bimmers over the years and its not unusual from time to time to run over warranty differences with dealers. Some dealers are more flexible or rigorous than others. Sometimes these issues are solved by being persistent with the issues with the dealer. I am sure I will be able to work it out.
      01-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117 View Post
4. the dash has airbag indentation, - they should take care of this and you might have to escalate it to BMWNA to get it resolved. I think others have had hit and miss success with this.
I don't think any dealer will resolve this since BMW issued a TSB (in April 2010) telling dealers not to fix:

SI B 51 07 10
Body Equipment April 2010
Technical Service

SUBJECT
Depression on Top of the Instrument Panel

MODEL
E82, E88 (1 Series)

INFORMATION
A slight depression or outline may be visible on the top, passenger side of the instrument panel. This outline is created by the perforated edge of the lid covering the passenger front airbag. This outline is a normal condition and is visible on most vehicles.

Due to normal variation, the outline may be more noticeable on some cars than others.

Do not replace any parts for this situation, as this is a normal condition and it will not provide an improvement.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
For information only

[ Copyright © 2010 BMW of North America, LLC ]
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Quote:
I am not expecting, nor do I need a free handout. I have owned over 20 Bimmers over the years and its not unusual from time to time to run over warranty differences with dealers. Some dealers are more flexible or rigorous than others. Sometimes these issues are solved by being persistent with the issues with the dealer. I am sure I will be able to work it out.
If you've owned 20 BMW cars, is this the first one you've still had a factory warranty on? The reason I ask is that, at least in the past 15 years, the concepts behind BMW's factory warranty coverage haven't changed very much.

Lifetime service fluids have never been changed at intervals less than 100k miles. Other consumables under warranty, like pads, have always been condition based. Pads don't spoil because of age (unlike brake fluid).

Also, TSBs for BMW are NOT recalls. They aren't obliged to change out your parts having histories of defects unless yours are ACTUALLY defective.

rking117's list seems reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
Maranello455
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B. View Post
If you've owned 20 BMW cars, is this the first one you've still had a factory warranty on? The reason I ask is that, at least in the past 15 years, the concepts behind BMW's factory warranty coverage haven't changed very much.

Lifetime service fluids have never been changed at intervals less than 100k miles. Other consumables under warranty, like pads, have always been condition based. Pads don't spoil because of age (unlike brake fluid).

Also, TSBs for BMW are NOT recalls. They aren't obliged to change out your parts having histories of defects unless yours are ACTUALLY defective.

rking117's list seems reasonable.
I am well aware,just trying to defend my best interests.
      01-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
I don't think any dealer will resolve this since BMW issued a TSB (in April 2010) telling dealers not to fix:
Noted!!!
      01-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am well aware,just trying to defend my best interests.
Yes I totally get it. I would not do any different.
      01-31-2013, 03:47 PM   #12
lovesacdc
Australia
Rep
Drives: 123d convertible

I think one thing is certain, you will have a better car when it has had that much attention paid to it. Think positively. They will fix what needs doing. Relax.
      01-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #13
Maranello455
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep

Thanks mate.
      01-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #14
Sindarin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
My 2009 135i is about to have its warranty expired in two months. The situation is that the car has only 13K miles and it has several issues which the dealer refuses to attend under warranty. Some of the issues are, Ticking noise in the engine,Turbos need to be replaced, the brakes pads have never been replaced in four years, the dash has airbag indentation, the HPFP needs to be changed,the bushing at the end of the steering rack is defective and the steering rack needs to be replaced, both headlights have condensation, the side windows has defects by wind intrusion, the diff and transmission oils have never been changed in four years ect,ect. These are well known defects and issues well documented in these forum by other OP's. I have a loaner they provided me and just told them that I will no pick up my car until they replace those parts under warranty.Any suggestions? Thanks.
How do you know your car needs all this work? Was it diagnosed by a BMW dealer? Or did you just walk in and start making demands?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 05:02 AM   #15
mryakanisachoad
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 550xi + '09 M5 + '10 135i

Original poster seems like a reasonable cat.

Do what I do: give the service manager a 100 bucks when you meet him. He deserves it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #16
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryakanisachoad View Post
Hard to say for sure. Expecting them to change brake pads and fluids rated at 'lifetime' after 13,000 miles is not what I'd call 'reasonable'. Nor is expecting them to do something about the ticking noise, which is normal on these engines.

And on what basis does he think the turbos should be replaced? I really would be surprised if there was an issue with them after 13,000 miles. And same question with the steering issues, not saying there aren't issues, but on what basis does he think they are defective.

I am surprised they won't do anything about the hpfp or headlights (assuming they are oem and had not been tampered with). Maybe the hpfp was already changed to the latest one?

Really, not enough detail was provided for anyone here to give reasonable advice on what should or shouldn't be covered (outside of the brake pads and fluids, which obviously will not be covered).
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #17
Maranello455
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Hard to say for sure. Expecting them to change brake pads and fluids rated at 'lifetime' after 13,000 miles is not what I'd call 'reasonable'. Nor is expecting them to do something about the ticking noise, which is normal on these engines.

And on what basis does he think the turbos should be replaced? I really would be surprised if there was an issue with them after 13,000 miles. And same question with the steering issues, not saying there aren't issues, but on what basis does he think they are defective.

I am surprised they won't do anything about the hpfp or headlights (assuming they are oem and had not been tampered with). Maybe the hpfp was already changed to the latest one?

Really, not enough detail was provided for anyone here to give reasonable advice on what should or shouldn't be covered (outside of the brake pads and fluids, which obviously will not be covered).
Everything is being attended to by the dealer. I have been a long standing customer of them for many years and I am sure they will be a 100% fair to me.About the turbos they do have a bell like sound and the dealer says its probably is the WGV. I do know that pads are not changed because of the time on the car and do know they are measured with parameters already established by BMW and if changed it will be done as a courtesy,as also the fluids on the car.The HPFP has not been changed but they told me it will be changed to the latest one.The water pump was changed without even asking. I did not post this thread to create animosity,just did it to get some input of OP's that have more knowledge of the car than me. Thanks for all the help given.

Last edited by Maranello455; 02-01-2013 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #18
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Everything is being attended to by the dealer. I have been a long standing customer of them for many years and I am sure they will be a 100% fair to me.About the turbos they do have a bell like sound and the dealer says its probably is the WGV. I do know that pads are not changed because of the time on the car and do know they are measured with parameters already established by BMW and if changed it will be done as a courtesy,as also the fluids on the car.The HPFP has not been changed but they told me it will be changed to the latest one.The water pump was changed without even asking. I did not post this thread to create animosity,just did it to get some input of OP's that have more knowledge of the car than me. Thanks for all the help given.
Glad they are taking care of you. With your original post it was hard to tell what parts you were expecting to be replaced (vs. hoping they'd be courteous) before you'd be willing to pick up your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #19
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryakanisachoad View Post

Do what I do: give the service manager a 100 bucks when you meet him. He deserves it.
Meet your new SA ; rking117 send cash to him at the following address....

02-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #20
AuthurMcAuthur
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 2009 135i

My dealer has covered everything big or small under warranty. I recently had a ton of stuff done and I had only like 1500 miles left.

IMHO - try getting your BMW serviced at different dealers, not all of them are the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #21
Maranello455
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthurMcAuthur View Post
My dealer has covered everything big or small under warranty. I recently had a ton of stuff done and I had only like 1500 miles left.

IMHO - try getting your BMW serviced at different dealers, not all of them are the same.
You are a 100% right.My only problem is that we only have a sole single dealer where I live.

Last edited by Maranello455; 02-07-2013 at 06:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #22
AuthurMcAuthur
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 2009 135i

Quote:
You are a 100% right.My only problem is that we only have a sole single dealer where I live.
If you are having major issues, lol. Take a drive an 1hr or 2 and claim you are moving to area and wanted to get to know the new service guy. LOL.

Like I said the two near me fixed and every problem, even if they replaced stuff they didn't need to in the process.
Appreciate 0