BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #23
Kracken
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 135i DCT M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angerman View Post

So for shiggles I thought, I'll check out the BRZ. Built my own with no upgrades, 10,000 down, 4%, 48 months - they quoted $404 a month
So did you bite & get it?
      02-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #24
Kracken
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Your dealer should have covered that battery for you. I hope you get your money back.

I wonder IF your car isn't "going to sleep". The DME puts the car to sleep after ~10 minutes or so. Did you leave a USB drive plugged in? Do you have comfort access and do you leave any of your key fobs close to the car? That will make the car stay "awake". Just wondering.
I hope I can get a refund, fingers crossed.

You bring up excellent points....I do have comfort access and keep my spare key in a toolbox literally only 2 feet away from the car when it's parked in the garage.
I also keep a USB cable plugged in at all times in case needed to charge i phone. The phone end of the cable mostly sits there not plugged in to phone. Does this USB scenario by itself draw down the battery?

I also bought a BMW battery tender as well for future out of town trips when she sits...a litttle paranoid I know but piece of mind I suppose.
      02-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #25
Kracken
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO View Post
How dare you call your 1 a POS for a faulty battery,,,,,that kind of talk will get you in trouble with the 1...it;s listnening.....LOL and the 1 will get you back for bad mouthing her/him/it....when the time is right.
LOL, I hope your wrong and she bahaves now for a looooooong time!
      02-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #26
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracken View Post
I hope I can get a refund, fingers crossed.

You bring up excellent points....I do have comfort access and keep my spare key in a toolbox literally only 2 feet away from the car when it's parked in the garage.
I also keep a USB cable plugged in at all times in case needed to charge i phone. The phone end of the cable mostly sits there not plugged in to phone. Does this USB scenario by itself draw down the battery?

I also bought a BMW battery tender as well for future out of town trips when she sits...a litttle paranoid I know but piece of mind I suppose.
Having just a USB cable plugged in shouldn't create a problem. Not unless it has an LED in the cable. I know when I had my car coded or the DME sw reflashed... the installers always remove whats plugged into the USB port. It might be a good idea to also do so.

Having CA and keeping your car keys within 30 feet WILL keep your car from going to sleep. So I would relocate them at least 30 feet away from the car.

Using a battery tender is a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #27
FOACAD
Airborne!
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW/CR 135i Msport

Lol @ 9 days of sitting causing the battery to die. Also LOL @ the dealership for not covering it. What, did they say "sorry man, it will be $400" and you just turned around, bent over and said "ok, go ahead and stick it in....no, no, you dont need to use lube...".

Why the hell didnt you fight it there? Why the hell did you not say, "ok, go fuck yourself and then go down the road and buy your own battery then come back and do the 5 minute change out yourself and then leave long ass burn out marks in their lot?

I find all of it a little odd, especially since im in Afghanistan and while ive been here have had my neighbor start my car THREE TIMES! over the course of 9 months. The first time it sat for 6 months!!!! She went out full expecting it to be dead and she got it and pushed the button and it fired up without skipping a beat. Same for the two times since then as well.

I really dont understand the kind of hate that certain cars get. If you cant afford to go "meh, whatevs" at $400 bucks for not at least attempting to find another solution, then maybe a base model Civic is more up your alley.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #28
Bama335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E82 135is '13 E88 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Using a battery tender is a good idea.
+1

Ours vert sits for long periods of time during winter and was giving me low battery warnings - I picked up a Battery Tender Jr. off Amazon for $25, havent had any issues since.
      02-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #29
Maranello455
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 09'M-3,99'M3,02'M-3,88'M6,74'T

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOACAD View Post
Lol @ 9 days of sitting causing the battery to die. Also LOL @ the dealership for not covering it. What, did they say "sorry man, it will be $400" and you just turned around, bent over and said "ok, go ahead and stick it in....no, no, you dont need to use lube...".

Why the hell didnt you fight it there? Why the hell did you not say, "ok, go fuck yourself and then go down the road and buy your own battery then come back and do the 5 minute change out yourself and then leave long ass burn out marks in their lot?

I find all of it a little odd, especially since im in Afghanistan and while ive been here have had my neighbor start my car THREE TIMES! over the course of 9 months. The first time it sat for 6 months!!!! She went out full expecting it to be dead and she got it and pushed the button and it fired up without skipping a beat. Same for the two times since then as well.

I really dont understand the kind of hate that certain cars get. If you cant afford to go "meh, whatevs" at $400 bucks for not at least attempting to find another solution, then maybe a base model Civic is more up your alley.
+1. Thanks for your service.
      02-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #30
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Quote:
So did you bite & get it?
Hell no

That's similar to leasing a Toyota Echo for $204 a month; there is no sense in the action
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #31
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Because if he had done that, the car wouldn't have started. The 1 series requires a new battery be coded to the ecu
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #32
Kracken
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Whoa, wait...
I Dont hate on the car, just the situation and yes I fought it asking for a goodwill battery especially with the low miles on the car. They wouldnt budge and it is the only phukin dealer in town....Besides, it aint over yet....

Base model civic? Get real ......
      02-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #33
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen View Post
Because if he had done that, the car wouldn't have started. The 1 series requires a new battery be coded to the ecu
The coding/programming and registering has nothing to do with being able to start the car.

There are two things that need to be done when installing a new battery. If you're installing a battery with the same spec (CA, CCA, Ah ratings, and type (AGM, non-AGM)), then you just need to register your battery.

Battery Registration does 3 things:

1) Logs Mileage.
2) Tells the car a new battery is installed.
3) Not sure about this one but I think the car records the condition of the battery at 80% of the capacity.....as a reference point.

If you're installing a different type of battery ie replacing a AGM with a non AGM/lead acid. This requires programming along with the registration

Programming requires reinitialize modules, mainly the CAS and FRM module.

Our cars have many different Ah ratings (90Ah, 80Ah, 70Ah) and types (AGM vs non-AGM). There are other parameters that differ as well but these are the main ones in programming. The main difference the computer needs to know is AGM or non-AGM. AGMs charge differently. Ah ratings tell the car how long to charge the battery and how often to maintain it. Ah ratings are basically a reserve rating.

Again you can buy a racing or aftermarket battery and install it at home and start the car and drive it to the dealer for programming and registration. If you do not have the dealer or an indy shop with the right tool do this your battery will not charge right and if going from AGM to non AMG could cause the battery to overheat and leak or explode.

To everyone else who did not read the whole thread:
1. OP has comfort access
2. He leaves the spare key in his garage next to the car
3. This causes the car to not go into sleep mode
4. End result is a constant drain on the battery and premature failed battery.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #34
L8*Apex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

This has been one of my fave threads in a while. To clarify you left your car with a 2 year old battery sitting for nine days then got upset when it didn't start.

ErvGotti has it right. Constant drain on the battery killed your old ass battery. And I agree with the other poster that you should trade in for a civic. It's a nice car. A to B and you don't ever have to think about it. Batteries are cheaper too.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #35
Stohlen
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8*Apex View Post
This has been one of my fave threads in a while. To clarify you left your car with a 2 year old battery sitting for nine days then got upset when it didn't start.

ErvGotti has it right. Constant drain on the battery killed your old ass battery. And I agree with the other poster that you should trade in for a civic. It's a nice car. A to B and you don't ever have to think about it. Batteries are cheaper too.
YOU THINK A 2 YEAR OLD BATTERY IS OLD?!

Since he made it too the theater, the 9 days probably had little to do with it, since the battery would have recharged on the trip. And an oem battery better damn well be able to sit 9 days without being started in any case.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #36
Stohlen
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErvGotti View Post
The coding/programming and registering has nothing to do with being able to start the car.
Good point, probably a bit of rash commenting on my part.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #37
Kracken
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
1. OP has comfort access
I dont leave the spare keys there now thanks to the help on this great forum! I think my problems are now over except for pullin that long hard one out a my ass
I was dealing with the Asst. Svc mgr on a saturday; I will go in person to discuss with the svc mgr on monday to see if he feels the same about this b4 I run this up the flagpole to BMWNA. The Asst. today told me he really wished he could have warrantied it but that it was out of his hands at the dealer level...we'll soon see.
      02-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #38
awns729
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Convertible

It's possible that the combination of 9 days in cold weather and perhaps a battery that has a few deep discharge cycles was the culprit (lights on overnight, jumpstarted before, etc.). I have a difficult time believing the engineers didn't code the car to go to sleep after x minutes or x hours in the case of the key being left closeby. I would be surprised if with Comfort Access leaving your key too close to the car would cause it to die significantly quicker.

Although if in the presence of they key, the current draw is not too high, and sustainable for a period of a few days, then I could understand the car not going to sleep. Perhaps it wasn't sleeping and nine days was just a few days too long...

Just my view, but I'm not very familiar with BMW electronics.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #39
Kracken
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8*Apex View Post

your post makes no sense to me, glad this thread is one of your faves though- and no I aint trading for a civic.
      02-09-2013, 11:55 PM   #40
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen View Post
Good point, probably a bit of rash commenting on my part.
No biggie I just didn't want anyone thinking that they have to pay the dealer to install the battery, which we all know they're gonna charge $125 for an hour of labor when it'll probably take a basic DIY'er 10-15 minutes.

Quote:
I dont leave the spare keys there now thanks to the help on this great forum! I think my problems are now over except for pullin that long hard one out a my ass
I was dealing with the Asst. Svc mgr on a saturday; I will go in person to discuss with the svc mgr on monday to see if he feels the same about this b4 I run this up the flagpole to BMWNA. The Asst. today told me he really wished he could have warrantied it but that it was out of his hands at the dealer level...we'll soon see.
How long do you drive the car daily? I live about 5-10 minutes from work which is not near enough time to get a good charge in especially in the winter. So at least weekly I go for a nice 30 minute spirited drive. If your daily trips are short I recommend finding a nice back road and dive her a long drive weekly. I'm sure you enjoy driving the car as much as I do.

Also for everyone's info the cold will kill the cells of a discharged battery quickly and it usually only takes a couple of times till the battery can't hold a charge. It's imperative that you keep your battery at full capacity as much as you can especially in the winter time. For me that's taking long drives once or twice weekly.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #41
Kracken
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
1. OP has comfort access
Thanks for all you input evrgotti, I do appreciate it.

I'm not totally convinced this was the root cause of my problem but hey, maybe it was.
They key was placed in the drawer of my roll away toolbox with the drawer always closed. With they key stored essentially in a steel box, it's hard to imagine this prevented my car from going into sleep mode which gradually drained my battery. Regardless, really great point and they spare key is now in a nite stand far away from the car. Better safe than sorry
Thx again...
      02-11-2013, 05:01 AM   #42
fun2drv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M5 Comp

Garage List
2023 BMW M5  [10.00]
2023 BMW M5  [0.00]
I was recently out of town for 10 days and left my '10 135i parked at the airport in freezing weather with a USB connected to an accessory and haz NO problems at all when I came back from my trip...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #43
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

It's hilarious to see people calling their car a POS just because of a dead battery issue or whatever it might be that is wrong with it.

Are we expecting that because a car costs more than $40K it should never break? I have never owned a car (or never even known anyone) that has had a car that was 100% perfect during the entire term of ownership.

It's a car. It will break. It will malfunction. Not the end of the world.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #44
Kracken
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
It's hilarious to see people calling their car a POS just because of a dead battery issue or whatever it might be that is wrong with it.

Are we expecting that because a car costs more than $40K it should never break? I have never owned a car (or never even known anyone) that has had a car that was 100% perfect during the entire term of ownership.

It's a car. It will break. It will malfunction. Not the end of the world.
I think you took my original post a little out of context there- Ofcoarse I expect cars or anything else mechanical to break or need maintenance over time, regardless of cost or maker. I just didnt expect it so soon at only 14K miles, that's all. It was a surprise for sure.

The 1er is not a POS as I stated but I was obviously upset at the moment- who wouldnt be.....sorry if I offended any 1er's out there. Every car is unique in it's own way, mine just hiccuped early.