BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #23
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
1love, I would leave CA except I like the surf here. I prefer the surf in Hawaii, and Hawaii's a great place to visit. However, after living there for 3 straight years, you do get island fever and the idea that you are on a small island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

If I didn't surf, I probably would GTFO California.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #24
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

Do any of you guys have driving while talking on a cell phone ban as well? I just got nailed a few weeks ago for not using my headset. $140!!!

This CA budget thing is getting out of control. If it wasn't for the weather and the women I would be somewhere else.....
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 09:37 AM   #25
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Evo MR Touring

Actually unless stuff has changed... its not that you modified the exhaust (afaik you can run diff catback legally, you just cant exceed sound limits). Sound limits being x db at x feet at x rpms.

Obviously modifications to air intake, etc require carb numbers etc. Modifications to cats or anything along that nature, not allowable at all. Cant even replace it with a high flow.

I got busted with a "modified" exhaust they tested and determined it wasnt too loud, made sure cats were in tact and I was on my way.

I cant speak for rr exhaust, as I've never heard it in person, but so long as its not too loud, you may be able to fight it. I had to go see smog ref to make sure everythign else was in order (which cost me money) but it was nice knowing my car was infact legal.

Cops are a buncha douches... (and I believe in the laws, and that there should be people to enforce it... ) they got their little abuse the power badge and they like to be jackasses to everyone they encounter... so... what are you going to do.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #26
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Alright first off, the exact same thing happened to me so I can help. Check
We live in the same state so I know exactly what to do also. Check!

Alright first off: All it is a fix it ticket, BUT you are now what is known as State Referee'd. Which means that a police officer can and will not sign off on your ticket. You need to now go to an official state referee to get a Decibel reading test. The maximum decibels is 93, if you believe that you are above that put your stock exhaust on for an hour. If you have no cats, they will red flag that.

Put back on your stock intake, as when you go there they open up your hood to look for ANYTHING else wrong with your car.

If you have any other questions you can reach me via pm. Best of luck!

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 11:54 AM   #27
ktdw
BMWCCA #401908
Rep
Drives: 135i

ok, so there are two applicable VC sections in California dealing with loud exhausts. The first relates to exceeding the 93 db limit, and the second is a subjective "adequate muffler requirement". I got hit with the second one:

27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

Am I still state refereed? If so, that would mean that I need go back to stock to pass the tests

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I see three options:
1. Fight this shit.
2. Pay fine, and continue on my way.
3. Go back to stock.

Has anyone had success fighting these? I have no problem going through the process, but I agree I'd look kinda stupid fighting a fix-it ticket. If there isn't a problem, just get it signed-off, right? Unless, the costs of the referee and admin fees are pretty high...

Vishnu PROcede v3, Vishnu Dual Cone Intake, Code3 FMIC, Riss Racing Downpipes, Riss Racing Exhaust, H&R Sport Springs
Best 1/4 mile: 12.583 @ 117.609 mph
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #28
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Those harleys....
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #29
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep

well at least they can be hit on stuff like that now, as harleys dont come with unmuffled exhaust any longer as far as I know.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #30
deamon32
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdw View Post
ok, so there are two applicable VC sections in California dealing with loud exhausts. The first relates to exceeding the 93 db limit, and the second is a subjective "adequate muffler requirement". I got hit with the second one:

27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

Am I still state refereed? If so, that would mean that I need go back to stock to pass the tests

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I see three options:
1. Fight this shit.
2. Pay fine, and continue on my way.
3. Go back to stock.

Has anyone had success fighting these? I have no problem going through the process, but I agree I'd look kinda stupid fighting a fix-it ticket. If there isn't a problem, just get it signed-off, right? Unless, the costs of the referee and admin fees are pretty high...
I am going to start fighting all my tickets. I have a tint ticket coming up where the CHP officer made the desicion that my tint was too dark because I had the windows rolled up not even 1/4". Then the officer said he could tell me exactly what level tint it was and after he guessed wrong we got into a small argument about it.

Either way, fight ALL tickets through the mail do not go to court. You have a much better chance of winning your speeding and fix it tickets if you fight it through the mail.

http://www.ticketassassin.com/ is a good resource for this.
      06-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #31
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep

you know, I dont know if I'd try and fight the tint ticket... I was busted recently here too, and was told that *ANY* tint whatsoever on front two windows and windshield is expressly forbidden and that no cars come with any sort of tinted glass from the factory whatsoever.

Even went on to say I could get a suction cup sun shield for the window... because some how thats going to be less obstructive then a real mild tint (I went for what the tintshop said was legal)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #32
ktdw
BMWCCA #401908
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deamon32 View Post
I am going to start fighting all my tickets. I have a tint ticket coming up where the CHP officer made the desicion that my tint was too dark because I had the windows rolled up not even 1/4". Then the officer said he could tell me exactly what level tint it was and after he guessed wrong we got into a small argument about it.

Either way, fight ALL tickets through the mail do not go to court. You have a much better chance of winning your speeding and fix it tickets if you fight it through the mail.

http://www.ticketassassin.com/ is a good resource for this.
I agree. I guess it's no real loss to try, but I can imagine the court would be suspicious of anyone who would fight a ticket that was correctable. Why would anyone fight a correctable ticket, unless they knew they couldn't get it signed-off? That said, I believe the rules of procedure still need to be followed. And if the officer doesn't respond or show up, the citation is must be dismissed.

The only reason I could give for wanting to fight this, is just the principle of not paying any more taxes than I should have to (even $10).

Vishnu PROcede v3, Vishnu Dual Cone Intake, Code3 FMIC, Riss Racing Downpipes, Riss Racing Exhaust, H&R Sport Springs
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #33
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdw View Post
I agree. I guess it's no real loss to try, but I can imagine the court would be suspicious of anyone who would fight a ticket that was correctable. Why would anyone fight a correctable ticket, unless they knew they couldn't get it signed-off? That said, I believe the rules of procedure still need to be followed. And if the officer doesn't respond or show up, the citation is must be dismissed.

The only reason I could give for wanting to fight this, is just the principle of not paying any more taxes than I should have to (even $10).
I still believe for minor infractions you can have it signed off by a cop. We just had a chicken shit fix it ticket for a no front plate. Just call your local PD and ask. They're usually pretty good to talk to if the conversation isn't happening on the side of the road. GL!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 12:17 PM   #34
ktdw
BMWCCA #401908
Rep

If anybody is interested, I'm just going to pay the $164 fine.

It was a correctable ticket, and could be signed off (without going to a referee), but I think it's easier and cheaper to do pay up. And I would just feel bad castrating my 135

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 12:23 AM   #35
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

$164 every time the nice officer gives you another ticket?
Ouch! This could get expensive after a while.
I wish you the best of luck with your new friend. Really!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 07:13 PM   #36
gargoyal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

in CA that is a pay and a fix it ticket . if the Riss exhaust has a CARB # then you can fight it. If it doesn't have a CARB number then you lose.
      08-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #37
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Good God that is ridiculous. I've blasted by cops here in my STi with the EWG wide open and they could care less.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #38
mattssi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love View Post
GTFO of CA. Best thing i ever did. Low taxes, less gas prices, less traffic practically everywhere else. And NO emissions check or gestapo police.
Yeah, CA has some perks I guess, but I'd rather visit. Moved from Detroit out here for the wife to go to school..sucks. 10.75% tax, everything is over priced, laws are ridiculous (at least around here every car is modified it seems, so I never had any issues), smog testing sucks, etc.

Anyway, I'd fight if if you can, then move
      08-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #39
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattssi View Post
Yeah, CA has some perks I guess, but I'd rather visit. Moved from Detroit out here for the wife to go to school..sucks. 10.75% tax, everything is over priced, laws are ridiculous (at least around here every car is modified it seems, so I never had any issues), smog testing sucks, etc.

Anyway, I'd fight if if you can, then move

CA and VA are two states I'll never live in (again) because of their stance on cars, and when I'm considering a job offer in other states (back when there were jobs) , I'll look for a little more money if the state has an annual inspection or requires a front tag.

It sounds a little silly, but cars are a hobby for me, and if a state's going to make it more difficult to enjoy my hobby, I'm going to avoid living there.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #40
AlBel1214
Major
Rep
Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

I love driving by jersey cops coming the other direction and they don't see my front plate... one time one actually was about to blast a u-turn but must of seen my PA plate..

-----LS3 C6-----
z51 suspension, NPP dual mode exhaust(wild2mild),20% tint, zr1 replica wheels, gloss black fender stripes
R.I.P SGM 135i w/ some mods
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #41
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBel1214 View Post
I love driving by jersey cops coming the other direction and they don't see my front plate... one time one actually was about to blast a u-turn but must of seen my PA plate..

I grew up in VA, and my parents still live there. They have front plates and inspection stickers, and I constantly get cops preparing to turn around on me when I'm there visiting. In my previous car I actually had one turn around, and then go ahead and pull me over anyway even after he'd realized I was on a FL plate. His excuse was "The car is too loud to be in VA and the windows are too dark".

It was a GTO with full emissions legal exhaust and JBA mufflers, and FL leagal tint. I asked him if he really expected me to change my exhaust and pull the tint off my windows every year before I came in for the holidays, and his response was "If you want to drive in VA you will."
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 01:13 AM   #42
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

!

Last edited by Jaguar66; 04-10-2010 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 02:02 AM   #43
ocinek
Private
Rep

Hah good story; you should have won most of your tickets though. Trial by declaration after getting it extended and appealed... unless you have multiple 22348 b 100mph+ tickets like me.
Appreciate 0