BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
___whoosh___
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

just installed BMS/Shifteck STS (short shifter)

OMG
I'm relatively handy around most autos but man oh man this design made baby Jesus cry a little today
the install is very straight forward especially the removal of the stock parts

I purchased the shifter through Burger Motorsports. The parts ship fast and they are great as a vendor
With that said
follow the instructions on the BMS site
my only add-ons to the install are:

make sure you remove the BMS shifter from the cup to install the 6 small allen head bolts which hold the cup to the OEM shifter bracket
also, if your hands aren't the size of a small child, ask one to help you get the 6 allen head bolts started
to add, I needed to shorten an allen wrench due to the clearance available between the floor surrounding the shifter cup and the allen bolts that needed tightening

make sure you have the stick orientation the correct way or the position in neutral will be off kilter

the good news is the shifter is rather good quality and the throws are def 25-30% shorter as advertised

the positioning of the shifter leans back a bit further (but not much) vs. OEM and that alone is almost as great at the shorter, clicky-er shifts

anyway, well done BMS & Shifteck

thanks for reading

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
kleach18
Essayons
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I installed this on my 2013 a few months ago. I love it!! Mine sits at the stock location. I think the n55 6 speed trans is slightly different though.
/ 135i - M-Sport / 6-Speed / BMW Performance Exhaust / BMS Intake / JB4 Stage 2 ISO + Flex Fuel Wires / BMS 3.5in Down Pipe / CP-E Charge Pipe / Walbro 255 in-line fuel pump / BMS H8 AE / BMS SSK / APEX EC-7's with Nitto NT05's / COBB Tuning Sport Springs / Koni Yellows / Wagner Evo 1 / Blacklines / iCarbon Rear Diffuser / BMW Performance shift knob/boot / BMW Performance Steering Wheel /
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 08:57 AM   #3
___whoosh___
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleach18 View Post
I installed this on my 2013 a few months ago. I love it!! Mine sits at the stock location. I think the n55 6 speed trans is slightly different though.
sorry about that
just cleared my inbox

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 09:51 AM   #4
mike082802
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 135

i installed this 2 weeks ago. what a PIA... those allen bolts took 2 hours. And the bushings for the shift linkage under the car wouldn't fit over the end where the c clip goes on so i had to drill them out.

mine sits a little more forward, i was thinking i installed the shifter backwards? there is obviously only two ways it can go. can you tell me if the head of the hex bolt or the threads should be facing me at the top of the shifter? an easy check as i just pull the boot up to check.

i asked bms and they said i installed it correctly and the threads should be facing me.
Can you guys check which way yours is facing?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
Phlonx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB F82 M4

Since we're talking about it... I installed mine a few weeks ago. Most of the install went well. I can't believe they don't give you an Allen key with a shorter short side so you can actually fit it and put those darn little screws in. Anyway, that part was not the worst. Everything else went smoothly, I was surprised at how well I was progressing. UNTIL 1 of the 2 bearing liners would NOT FIT the rod. The liners went in the bearing just fine but for the life of me I couldn't fit the rod into the liner. I tried prying, I tried pushing, I tried pressing, I tried hammering; I spent hours trying to figure it out. I finally decided to pry it back out, sand it and try again. I did this 3 times and finally I got it in. The install was maybe about 1.5 hours from start to finish. I spent an extra 3-4 hours trying to insert the bearing liner into the bearing and rod. It was terrible.

The shifter feels good, shits nicely, a little noisy though. Makes a squeaky sound on hard shifts and I can see the lifted base for the ball moves a little with pressure, because it isn't actually secured it just kind of sits in place and can't come off because of the conniving little screws that hold it in place.

All in all it was worth it and it feels good, I like it. But man the install became a nightmare... I hope other people don't have the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #6
mike082802
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 135

does yours sit more forward? also could any of you pull your trim and see can you tell me if the head of the hex bolt or the threads should be facing me at the top of the shifter?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 04:26 AM   #7
c0ris07
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Just had the shifter installed by a shop when then did my clutch...

It is really loud and clunky when you a moving through gears...notchy and a pain in the ass to get into reverse....

Can this be installed wrong??? Anything I can look for as surely it can't be right....it is 10 steps backwards from the originally shifter...

Gonna go past the shop in the morning and tell them to take a look

EDIT: took the boot off to expose the shifter. Sounds like the clunking is coming from the rear carrier fixing point. Is this not just a pin? Should it have play?

Last edited by c0ris07; 07-16-2014 at 06:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #8
___whoosh___
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0ris07 View Post
Just had the shifter installed by a shop when then did my clutch...

It is really loud and clunky when you a moving through gears...notchy and a pain in the ass to get into reverse....

Can this be installed wrong??? Anything I can look for as surely it can't be right....it is 10 steps backwards from the originally shifter...

Gonna go past the shop in the morning and tell them to take a look

EDIT: took the boot off to expose the shifter. Sounds like the clunking is coming from the rear carrier fixing point. Is this not just a pin? Should it have play?
if installed properly, there is no noise
I actually liked the shifter, just did not like the installation
was very tedious
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #9
c0ris07
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

FIXED!

The 2 6mm screws at the back of the carrier where not done up...no more noise and get a nice click into gear now....much shorter throw....
Appreciate 0