Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 silverstone

Garage List
congratulations!

very nice - white once again i see

didnt realize that the ///M3 badge is smaller

+1 on the exhaust - when we first started the engine at the dealer all the people around turned their head - i was like my salesperson said: i guess there is nothing more to say

enjoy the car - i will have my run in service next week - this is the best car i have ever driven

enjoy your cars

Last edited by evolution80; 10-04-2011 at 04:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 06:08 AM   #24
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

CD experience .. "priceless" .... love it, enjoy your car!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #25
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
... So one quick stop before we get there......McDonalds. Yup, no fancy German cuisine tonight, this is not ED it's CD(California Delivery). The whole time I keep chanting in my head "no extra deliver miles, no extra deliver miles...." Well, I wasn't disappointed. ONE MILE! Woohoo! ... Some HigherQ pics to come....
Congrats, you certainly made some tasty lemonade of these CD lemons, good on you. Thx for the write up and review. Now go register your VIN in the 1M registry, that admin guy is very impatient Keep the pics coming!

Quote:
Since the dealer was not able to do a no cost Spoiler Delete like is available on other M cars, I busted out the dental floss an began sawing. I know that some will not like the look, but I have never been a fan of the lip spoilers. I think it looks clean!
+1

Did you consider replacing all of the trunk with a debadged low-weight spoiler integrated trunk (like on http://starckperformance.com/web/ind...oducts/bmw-m-1)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #26
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
You, my friend...may be a little over the top haha jk
Don't underestimate the kinda spacy stuff they're smoking up there in the USS Enterprise NCC-1701.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #27
rogbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpina B12 5.0

Congrats on another AW 1M. I love my 1M too.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #28
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6M, AW, CR, MSPORT

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Congratulations, Sir.

You got to be one of the few replacing the ///M badge with the ///M3 one. The kids can slam the McDonald's logo on their bicycles, as an alternative.

Fancy a sticker ?
Attachment 588306

HAHA, FWD sucks only if you dont know how to properly utilize it...

P.S. And this may be just me... I see no merit to pulling off the lip spoiler on the trunk. You are seriously undermining your rear end stability at speed by doing so. There are reports out that show just how much more down force a small little factory lip like that can make at speed, est well over 100lbs of down-force. Im a function over form guy any day, especially in cases like that, when its a safety factor as well.

Last edited by Daniel135i; 10-04-2011 at 03:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #29
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel135i View Post
P.S. And this may be just me... I see no merit to pulling off the lip spoiler on the trunk. You are seriously undermining your rear end stability at speed by doing so. There are reports out that show just how much more down force a small little factory lip like that can make at speed, est well over 100lbs of down-force. Im a function over form guy any day, especially in cases like that, when its a safety factor as well.
I believe the E82 lip spoiler is a gurney type spoilers (ie small and edgy in size yet producing large down force). Thus functional merit is reduction of drag (ie increased fuel efficiency), at the expense of high speed down force.

Would be interested in any links to or quotes from mentioned reports that quantify the down force.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 05:12 AM   #30
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
And this may be just me... I see no merit to pulling off the lip spoiler on the trunk. You are seriously undermining your rear end stability at speed by doing so. There are reports out that show just how much more down force a small little factory lip like that can make at speed, est well over 100lbs of down-force. Im a function over form guy any day, especially in cases like that, when its a safety factor as well.
Ask Audi:

"Early TT models gained press coverage for a series of high-speed accidents in Europe. Reported crashes and related fatalities occurred at speeds in excess of 180 kilometres per hour (110 mph), during abrupt lane changes or sharp turns. Both the Coupé and Roadster models were recalled in late 1999/early 2000, to improve predictability of the car's handling at very high speeds. Audi's Electronic Stability Programme, and rear spoiler were added, along with suspension modifications. All changes were subsequently incorporated into future series production versions of the car.
Factory production of this generation ended in June 2006."
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #31
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Exclamation I hope this clears things up a bit with regards to the lip spoiler....

Quote:
....pulling off the lip spoiler on the trunk. You are seriously undermining your rear end stability at speed by doing so. There are reports out that show just how much more down force a small little factory lip like that can make at speed, est well over 100lbs of down-force. Im a function over form guy any day, especially in cases like that, when its a safety factor as well.
"seriously undermining your rear end stability"? Such an alarmist. Well you may be a function over form guy, but you certainly are not a factual guy...

Care to share any of those 'reports', some links perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Ask Audi:

"Early TT models gained press coverage for a series of high-speed accidents in Europe. Reported crashes and related fatalities occurred at speeds in excess of 180 kilometres per hour (110 mph), during abrupt lane changes or sharp turns. Both the Coupé and Roadster models were recalled in late 1999/early 2000, to improve predictability of the car's handling at very high speeds. Audi's Electronic Stability Programme, and rear spoiler were added, along with suspension modifications. All changes were subsequently incorporated into future series production versions of the car.
Factory production of this generation ended in June 2006."
I remember reading about the TT's high speed instability back then. The thing you will notice about the TT or the 911, both cars have a smooth design that almost looks like the profile of an airplane wing. Thus creating lift. That's why Porches needs to use quite large spoilers to increase down force and stability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Would be interested in any....reports that quantify the down force.
Here is some good data on down force:

Not to turn this thread into a huge engineering debate but this should suffice in squashing the over exaggerated functionality of the lip spoiler. Sport Auto did a series of wind tunnel tests on several different cars a few years back. One of the tests conducted was the 335i vs. M3(both coupe) and showed huge benefits in front down force on the M3. The rear was marginal and 'in part' due to the lip spoiler. ELEVEN POUND advantage on the rear down force on the M3, not 100lbs. In fact, even the OEM muffler on the M3 played a part in the aerodynamics.

Front Lift @ 124 mph:
335: 42 kg (93 lb)
M3: 10 kg (22 lb)

Rear Lift @ 124 mph:
335: 28 kg (62 lb)
M3: 23 kg (51 lb)

Name:  wind tunnel test M3.JPG
Views: 316
Size:  160.3 KB
      10-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #32
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]
Not to argue... cant find the video reference anyways. But, the vid I am referencing in this case talked about the engineering behind he slight raise up of a Ferrari trunk lid at the rear (nothing added, just a slight upward curve) and the engineering behind it to increase the down-force by over 100lbs at speed. (Ferrari vs BMW - Semantics)

They do diffuse the air - mostly on generic cars for fuel economy, but on some they are also engineered for down-force and legitimate handling improvements.

Weather you believe its 10lbs, or I believe its more substantial... its there for a reason in performance, period.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #33
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not to argue... cant find the video reference anyways. But, the vid I am referencing in this case talked about the engineering behind he slight raise up of a Ferrari trunk lid at the rear (nothing added, just a slight upward curve) and the engineering behind it to increase the down-force by over 100lbs at speed. (Ferrari vs BMW - Semantics)

They do diffuse the air - mostly on generic cars for fuel economy, but on some they are also engineered for down-force and legitimate handling improvements.

Weather you believe its 10lbs, or I believe its more substantial... its there for a reason in performance, period.
What is there to argue about? I can't argue with someone who believes 2+2=100 or says 'Ferrari vs BMW' meh... 'Semantics'. One can only lead a horse to water, right? You can believe what you want, hell you can believe in the Easter Bunny for I care, just don't spew misinformation based on some Ferrari Video you saw and apply YOUR conclusions to a lip spoiler on a 1 series.
      10-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #34
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]
Dude, get off your high horse... you obviously dont know what was stated, and in what context in the video, so shut your pie hole... Dont down talk my opinions based on what I have seen/read/viewed just because you didnt see them. YOU HAVE NO MORE TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE WITH PROVEN FACTS ON THE SUBJECT THAN ANYONE ELSE!

Did I in any way insinuate your an idiot, stupid, or a moron? I didnt think so, so shove it.

The only misinformation on this thread is the part that you think yours is the only opinion that matters.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #35
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Question Really?

Quote:
Dude, get off your high horse... you obviously dont know what was stated, and in what context in the video, so shut your pie hole... Dont down talk my opinions based on what I have seen/read/viewed just because you didnt see them. YOU HAVE NO MORE TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE WITH PROVEN FACTS ON THE SUBJECT THAN ANYONE ELSE!

Did I in any way insinuate your an idiot, stupid, or a moron? I didnt think so, so shove it.

The only misinformation on this thread is the part that you think yours is the only opinion that matters.
Are you for real? LOL. Read my posts again. I am not attacking you personally in anyway. I am not arguing opinions as you are suggesting. I am presenting you with FACTS. You are bringing nothing but your opinion with no facts to support them. You are bringing a water pistol to a gun fight.

I could get really technical in this discussion as I am both an engineer and physicist, but I thought the quoted source was more than sufficient to show the miniscule impact the almost identical lip spoiler had on the M3.

Like I said I don't care what you choose to believe in. 1000lbs of down force, whatever, but if I feel that you got your facts wrong I will challenge you. If I am wrong, by all means show me the error of my ways. That's what this forum is for, discussion, but also factual discussion. You telling me to shut my 'pie hole' and 'shove it' is not welcomed and against forum rules.

Now please stop coming into my thread and jacking it all up!
      10-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #36
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Are you for real? LOL. Read my posts again. I am not attacking you personally in anyway. I am not arguing opinions as you are suggesting. I am presenting you with FACTS. You are bringing nothing but your opinion with no facts to support them. You are bringing a water pistol to a gun fight.

I could get really technical in this discussion as I am both an engineer and physicist, but I thought the quoted source was more than sufficient to show the miniscule impact the almost identical lip spoiler had on the M3.

Like I said I don't care what you choose to believe in. 1000lbs of down force, whatever, but if I feel that you got your facts wrong I will challenge you. If I am wrong, by all means show me the error of my ways. That's what this forum is for, discussion, but also factual discussion. You telling me to shut my 'pie hole' and 'shove it' is not welcomed and against forum rules.

Now please stop coming into my thread and jacking it all up!
///Metak, I wouldn't even bother to deal with this guy, he has a propensity for trolling and threadjacking, that makes for nothing else other than his own embarrassment and ridicule. People here are intelligent enough to see who is the proficient poster, and who is the...jester. Just take the highroad, as I have here, and disregard anything he says:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587130
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #37
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

any more tips on cosmoline removal? I have never dealt with this but will certainly get into this weekend after pickup
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 12:41 AM   #38
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]

Aww, someone doesnt like me....

And to the contrary, there were no facts stated on the subject at hand (conjecture/opinions on both sides), you posted facts about an M3... wow, with all your edumacation im pretty sure you could tell the difference in the two cars... and talking facts and bringing references from one vehicle for another does not lead to the credability of your factual argument.

And I had stated, it was my opinion based on an article I had seen previously, so dont put words into my mouth pal stating that I said they were facts.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 05:35 AM   #39
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Is.any of this necessary guys? Let bygones be bygones and how about we get back on topic. Let's not ruin what was a nice, celabratory thread!!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #40
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post
any more tips on cosmoline removal? I have never dealt with this but will certainly get into this weekend after pickup
I think a product like: P21S Total Auto Wash All Purpose Degreaser would work well.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/P21S-...aser_p_57.html
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 08:25 AM   #41
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Awesome, thanks guys.

Also, because I'm a n00b to this...

Why is it used on the cars?

And why is so bad that you remove it?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #42
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
///Metak, I wouldn't even bother to deal with this guy, he has a propensity for trolling and threadjacking, that makes for nothing else other than his own embarrassment and ridicule. People here are intelligent enough to see who is the proficient poster, and who is the...jester. Just take the highroad, as I have here, and disregard anything he says:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587130
Oh I get it. Just an argumentative richard who shows his lack of knowledge and inability to read with every post. Thanks

Quote:
Awesome, thanks guys.

Also, because I'm a n00b to this...

Why is it used on the cars?

And why is so bad that you remove it?

Thanks!
It is used to help prevent corrosion. It doesn't hurt to ignore it, it's just kinda ugly if visible. Removal is totally cosmetic. I used a the Qtips for those hard to reach places.
      10-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #43
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Gotchya. Ill check it out when i have the time, Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #44
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Gotchya. Ill check it out when i have the time, Thanks
You can just wait for it to all melt and drip out. On hot days it will happen and eventually it will all be gone.
Appreciate 0