BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
KIYO
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupé

This is how the engine oil will be in 10000km

1M is my first turbo BMW so I wanted to know how the oil is degrading.
Since there is no dip stick on our 1M, there is no way to see the condition of the oil.

The dealer told me that it is not yet the timing to change the oil but I ask them to do it anyway. The oil change interval they set is about 30000km.

You can not tell anything by the appearance but I thought it might be some help for someone.

The oil was changed at first service with 4000km.
This is what the engine oil looks after 10000km of drive. Black and not clear.

It was changed to Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 6litter. About 210 Euro including labor and tax.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Send it in for analysis. Not sure if you guys have something similar to blackstone labs.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
sluflyer06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i MT

As far as I'm aware modern BMW's do not have service intervals they are all CBS. Is the 1M different?
      10-12-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Yup! I always change my oil "early" too. Every 8K to 10K kms.

KIYO - you might try changing oil brands next time. I noticed the N54 really runs much smoother, cooler and quieter with Castrol RS Edge oil.

Oeldepot24.de has the BMW LL-4 oil for as little as SIX euros! That is the same oil that most BMW dealers charge 20 to 33 euros per liter for!!

http://www.oeldepot24.de/catalog/ind...cPath=22_35_27

This is the German Castrol RS Edge LL-4 0w40 oil I use... I paid about 9 euros per liter (end price) with tax and shipping from oeldepot24.de

http://www.oeldepot24.de/catalog/pro...products_id=79
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Wow! I'm shocked to see that after 6000km, the oil looks very dirty.

2 questions for you:
1)Were you driving the 1M pretty hard?

2)What does the BMW 1M manual say about oil changes?? I asked because if you ask me, 30,000km is just too long for an oil change on a TURBOCHARGED vehicle like the 1M.

Hellaflush? All I could say is "effyo'flush","flushnuff", and Instead of 'illest', I'm calling it "faillest". It's just form over function nowadays...
-END RANT
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
I use Castrol Syntec on my MKV jetta. Religiously, I do oil changes every 5k. The oil turns that color.
I was using Mobile 1, it was worse; pitch dark black.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 330i ZHP, N55 135i

I've been following BMW's intervals for 140,000 miles on my e46. Coincidentally, their intervals match what I've been doing with my other cars, for hundreds of thousands of miles, as well.

I'm not sure about the science behind oil color and effectiveness. Y'all do whatever you want. You won't catch me changing any oil in under 10-12,000 miles. Ever.
      10-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #8
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503226
      10-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #9
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep

http://www.aa1car.com/library/motor_oil_605.htm

Quote:
You can't really tell much about the condition of the oil by its appearance alone because most oil turns dark brown or black after a few hundred miles of use.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...mediately.html

Quote:
I changed my car's oil recently and about 200kms after the service I noticed that the color is black from clear oil that it was.
I talked to Tata workshop guys, they checked the oil and said its perfect and after a few kms of driving it goes black.
I did not trust them at all and asked them to show me oil's of some other cars. What I saw in 2 indica's and a safari that barely a few kms after oil change the oil is black. One of the indica's had done just 10,000 kms and had driven just 20kms after oil change!
http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible_pg2.html

Quote:
Don't worry about the engine oil turning black. It will lose its golden-brown colour within a few hundred miles of being put in to the engine.
http://caradvice.askpatty.com/ask_pa...otor-oils.html

Quote:
Q13: If my motor oil turns black, does that mean it's time to change the oil?
Chinn: This is a myth we hear a lot. But the truth is the color of an oil has absolutely no bearing on its lubrication ability. Nor does it automatically signal that you need an immediate oil change.

In fact, many oils will turn black in the first few hours of operation due to contaminants generated by the combustion process and soot particles. The engine combustion process produces soot and other byproducts that then can spread throughout the oil, resulting in the oil having a dark, almost black color.

For cars that are in good condition, the resulting black color typically means that the oil is doing its job, cleaning out soot and other byproducts of engine combustion.

In addition, some additives used in modern oils can produce a dark color over time and this is normal

It is best to change your oil based on time in months or miles. To find the optimum oil drain interval, refer to your owners’ manual to get the vehicle manufacturers’ recommended oil drain interval.

For first time Mobil1 users, it may be possible that the black color of the oil indicates that the strong additive package formulated into Mobil 1 is actively removing deposits from the engine.
      10-12-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_m3 View Post
Wow! I'm shocked to see that after 6000km, the oil looks very dirty.

2 questions for you:
1)Were you driving the 1M pretty hard?

2)What does the BMW 1M manual say about oil changes?? I asked because if you ask me, 30,000km is just too long for an oil change on a TURBOCHARGED vehicle like the 1M.
I'm not sure you can go by appearance. Blackstone Labs will be on my checklist of things to do at 1,200 and 10,000miles.

Name:  Blackstone101310.jpg
Views: 7279
Size:  200.0 KB
      10-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #11
Rekraps
USMA 81
United_States
Rep
Drives: Own two 1M's, VO total OEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post
I'm not sure you can go by appearance. Blackstone Labs will be on my checklist of things to do at 1,200 and 10,000miles.

Attachment 592190
I have used fully synthetic Amsoil for years in all my vehicles, to include my Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins, and for several years used LE labs to test oil condition. The results were clear, with full synthetic oils, change intervals are greatly increased. For the truck the oil filter interval is 5K while the full oil change is 20K or more. I would suggest that except for the initial break in period for the 1M, the engine would operate just nicely with periodic oil filter changes and full oil (synthetic) changes every 20K. Color, unless brown (water content) is of no value in determining effectiveness. It is the additives and detergent that break down and reduce the effectiveness.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #12
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post

Attachment 592190
I can understand if oil changes are at 1,200 and 10,000 miles. That what's basically required for our cars.

My point here is: If that was a normal aspirated car like the M3, I will not complain and gladly accept if the dealership told me to come back at 10,000 miles for a full oil (synthetic) change. But oil changes as stated by the dealer at 30,000km for the 1M??? 30,000km is equal to 18,750 miles. That's almost 20,000 miles with no oil change. That's pretty absurd if you ask me. We are talking about a turbocharged car here. I was thinking that oil changes for such cars would be the same as ours (10K) or even lesser (8k) since they are turbocharged. What is different about the 1M that makes it's next oil change be at 19,000 miles?? Maybe it's the fact that it's turbocharged that's why oil change intervals are longer compared to our cars??

Hellaflush? All I could say is "effyo'flush","flushnuff", and Instead of 'illest', I'm calling it "faillest". It's just form over function nowadays...
-END RANT
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 10:27 PM   #13
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
I can understand if oil changes are at 1,200 and 10,000 miles. That what's basically required for our cars.

My point here is: If that was a normal aspirated car like the M3, I will not complain and gladly accept if the dealership told me to come back at 10,000 miles for a full oil (synthetic) change. But oil changes as stated by the dealer at 30,000km for the 1M??? 30,000km is equal to 18,750 miles. That's almost 20,000 miles with no oil change. That's pretty absurd if you ask me. We are talking about a turbocharged car here. I was thinking that oil changes for such cars would be the same as ours (10K) or even lesser (8k) since they are turbocharged. What is different about the 1M that makes it's next oil change be at 19,000 miles?? Maybe it's the fact that it's turbocharged that's why oil change intervals are longer compared to our cars??
I don't see the problem...bust out the wrench and change the oil then? I'm going to change my own oil, and then let BMW change it when they "say" it needs changed. Why take a chance, and who cares. Granted...I'm new to this whole 'service included' thing...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #14
BMW Gator
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C8/R8/1M/X5/JK Rubicon/FJ40

Quote:

The quality of modern oil (and the fuel that is burned) combined with tight efficient engines yields extended drain intervals. In most cases I believe you could safely use BMW's recommended drain intervals - however - there are lots of other variables involved (short stop and go driving, racing, or a lack of use) that would result in shorter drain intervals. Personally, I won't be putting on many miles so I will probably end up with 5,000 - 7,500 mi oil changes. The best method (if you are disciplined) is to let engine oil analysis determine your drain intervals.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 10:57 PM   #15
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
I don't see the problem...bust out the wrench and change the oil then? I'm going to change my own oil, and then let BMW change it when they "say" it needs changed. Why take a chance, and who cares. Granted...I'm new to this whole 'service included' thing...
I don't see a problem as well, but if BMW told me to be back for an oil change at 18K or even 20K on my 1M, I would definitely change the oil myself. IMHO, it's just too much for a 1M to get it's next oil change at 20K miles.

On our M3's on the other hand, I just hate the fact that it does not have any f*ckin' dipstick... This makes checking our oil even harder.

-END RANT
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #16
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Gator View Post
The quality of modern oil (and the fuel that is burned) combined with tight efficient engines yields extended drain intervals. In most cases I believe you could safely use BMW's recommended drain intervals - however - there are lots of other variables involved (short stop and go driving, racing, or a lack of use) that would result in shorter drain intervals. Personally, I won't be putting on many miles so I will probably end up with 5,000 - 7,500 mi oil changes. The best method (if you are disciplined) is to let engine oil analysis determine your drain intervals.
Well said man!

Just like you said, it basically depends on other variables involved. If I ever owned a 1M, I will not follow BMW's recommended drain intervals. 18K intervals for oil changes is just too much for me considering I will be driving the car every other day with 2-3 track days a month.

-END RANT
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #17
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
I don't see a problem as well, but if BMW told me to be back for an oil change at 18K or even 20K on my 1M, I would definitely change the oil myself. IMHO, it's just too much for a 1M to get it's next oil change at 20K miles.

On our M3's on the other hand, I just hate the fact that it does not have any f*ckin' dipstick... This makes checking our oil even harder.
I agree...not having a dip stick bothers me too. But I thought that there was a way to check via the instrument panel? i haven't had my first service yet, so I'm not quite sure. How do BMW technicians do this? That said, it's also nice to be able to change that nasty oil filter on the TOP of the engine bay, as opposed to the [more frequent] bottom of the engine bay!

I will have to change my oil more frequently than others. I have a mile commute to work, so my cold starts are more frequent than others. I really don't have a problem changing oil at 5k or under intervals. As even that "bible" states (the link that was posted early), "you can NEVER change your oil TOO frequently". If I'm going to pay for anything...it's going to be oil and filters before anything else (this will take priority with my car).
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #18
KIYO
Private First Class
Austria
Rep

Thank you for the comments.

Thanks Dackelone, I will change the oil using some rental lift next time like this one.
http://www.flora-garage.at

e92_m3, although I did not go on a track, it was hard driven on the German autobahn.
1M has a variable oil change interval depending on the on board computer. I have done 17000 km on the odo meter and it is showing another 20000km to service.

It might be OK to do as the computer says but I could not.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #19
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIYO View Post
Thank you for the comments.

Thanks Dackelone, I will change the oil using some rental lift next time like this one.
http://www.flora-garage.at

e92_m3, although I did not go on a track, it was hard driven on the German autobahn.
1M has a variable oil change interval depending on the on board computer. I have done 17000 km on the odo meter and it is showing another 20000km to service.

It might be OK to do as the computer says but I could not.
That looks like a deal at only 9 euros per hour to rent a werkshop bay/lift. Perfect for changing ones oil.

Btw... you might ask your dealer what they charge for just an oil change IF you bring them the parts. Mine charges 60 euros for the "oil service" vs just 20 euros (labor) for a "oil change". The BMW oil filter costs 10 euros and I bring them my German Castrol oil. Otehrwise they want 23 euros per liter! So my delaer would chanrge 231 euros for an oil change service. The oil change and oil service are basically the same thing! Ok, with the service they check the tire pressure and fluids... but come on... I can also do that! Anyways... I always change my own oil. I'm too paranoid they will update my SW and not ask me before hand!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #20
KIYO
Private First Class
Austria
Rep

You're right. Although the invoice says they have filled with 5W30, but who knows that's correct.
I have thought of changing the oil by my self but I have to bring the oil to the recycle center each time. That is not so convenient.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #21
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIYO View Post
You're right. Although the invoice says they have filled with 5W30, but who knows that's correct.
I have thought of changing the oil by my self but I have to bring the oil to the recycle center each time. That is not so convenient.

YuP! And in the SAME container(atleast here in DE) - even worse! Lucky for me... I can just bring my old oil on-base (US Mil) and have it recycled there - for free.
Appreciate 0