E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Euro Delivery (ED) pickup on May 2nd. Anybody wants to go on a fun 1-day drive?

Closed Thread

04-29-2005, 05:33 PM   #23
ziv
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i, SG, Sport

Cool. Ya, I think so. BTW, I didn't know you could do an M3 on the ED. Interesting. I heard some people did it, but didn't know if it was for real. Guess it was :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2005, 09:32 AM   #24
SoCalS2k
Major
Rep
Drives: S2K!

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [8.50]
That's an amazing looking drive! Can't wait for your guys photos and videos.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2005, 01:28 AM   #25
ziv
Private
Rep

so here are the photos :-)

http://ziv.tzo.com/e90_pickup

tomorrow, I'll post my quick 10 hour drive review of the car. But I'll tell you this much now -- it was un-freakin-believable :-) It handles way better then my 01 330ci with sports used to handle :-) They truly improved it :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2005, 02:56 AM   #26
ziv
Private
Rep

Guys,

Here are my impressions of the car. I haven't put any thought into structuring this write-up, and I'm jetlagged and haven't slept in a while, so if the writing quality sucks -- please forgive me.

* The car obviously ROCKS !!! I was worried that I won't like the Poplar Wood, since I was used to the darker wood from my 330Ci. I even tried to change it after the order was placed, but it was too late. Now, after I saw it -- I LOVE IT !!! I highly recommend it. I was worried it will look too cheesy. But it's classy, and when the sun is shining on it, it looks even better. The wood quality is great. I'm totally impressed.

* I had no idea that the car had the same cool feature that is found on higher-class cars, which is to keep the occupants warm for 15 minutes after the engine is turned off. There is a button on the passenger’s side, called REST with vertical ~~~'s. So cool. You push it, and hot air is drawn out of the engine to keep you warm as you make up with your girlfriend/wife/partner, while saving gas and leaving the car off. How cool.

* The car handles way better then I imagined. I was used to the 330Ci, which I thought was great. This thing is so much more fun. I just can't believe BMW managed to improve it again. AND, the best part -- my 330Ci was REALLY loud on bumps, and road imperfections. It was kind of annoying, but I still loved it and got used to it. The E90 is amazingly quiet on bumps, railroad tracks, imperfections, etc... Usually, cars that are this diffused handle like crap. Somehow, they managed to improve the handling while improving road noise :-) I only went as fast as 90 MPH in Germany/Austria, and again, was blown away at how quiet the car was.

* The steering is perfect :-) The steering wheel is nice and fat (sports pkg) and the feedback is great. I don't have Active Steering, and I wonder how much better it would get with it, or worse? I wouldn't even want to try though. At least not on my car :-)

* The Angel Eyes look awesome :-)

* The breaks are much more sensitive then the E46. Again, I thought that my 330Ci was great. Again, it's improved.

* The clutch is so smooth :-) My 330Ci was tougher.

* The engine sounds totally different then my ex-E46. I didn't rev it up beyond 3500, so I can't tell you how it really sounds. In fact, I really didn't push the car at all on my 1-day drive, let I could tell around some of the fun roads how much fun it WOULD be if I pushed it harder :-)

* I love the cruise control. I had to get used to it being on the side, and not on the steering wheel. There is this really cute needle, that is surrounding the outside of the speedometer. Once you set the cruise control, the needle goes smoothly up to the set speed. It also says what speed you've set it on the LCD. If you push or pull it lightly, it adds/subtracts 1 MPH. If you push/pull it harder, it adds/subtracts 5 or more MPH :-) The cool thing is -- if you pull it hard, and if you hold it, it even applies breaks :-) How cool :-) I love cruise control. If you push it lightly and hold, it adds speed gradually. If you push it all the way, and hold it, it adds speed more aggressively... Totally impressive. Fun to play with.

* What else -- the short throw is great. So much more fun then the E46

* I like how they put little touches to the vent controls. It used to be that you had to turn the mechanical wheel from red to blue (front vents), like 3-4 turns. It felt good, but a bit awkward. Now, it's a nice little turn and you go from red to cold very quickly. Also, I like how they added silver lining to the vent controls. Adds class... The auto climate control is as good as the E46 if not better. I couldn't find any flaws.

* It was strange to not find a dip-stick. I read the manual (only value add I got so far, from it) and it says that you can get an accurate reading of the oil level. It takes 5-8 minutes, depending on the car being idle or not. I didn't know you could do that. I thought all it offered was OK or not OK indication. It's nice to know that you can actually see the level. I guess I could deal with waiting 5 minutes for a reading :-) The oil filter is still on top. Thank GOD.

* The seats are really comfortable. I love the 'ette. It's my first time, and I was skeptical. But like others wrote on the board -- it's stickier then the leather, and I like it. I didn't find much use for the side bolsters being adjustable, but I'm also a big (and wide) guy, so for me, any firmer on the sides and my lungs will collapse. Oh ya, I'm 6'3", and I fit better into the E90 then I did into my 330Ci. There is more headroom (slightly). I was worried that I would buy a car, shell out $33000, and not fit into it and only find out about it after the fact :-) I was pleasantly surprised :-)

* I love how the indicator lights control is like the new 5. It's not mechanical like the "old" cars. I had to get used to it, but I really like it.

* Can you guess how I feel about the start/stop button :rocks: It is SO FREAKING COOL !!! I was wondering if I needed to push and hold it, like with a key. But all you do is push it and let go. Then, you push the key in, and the steering wheel locks, the doors are opened, and you can eject it. It feels like you're leaving an armored car. There are a few clicks from all these systems disengaging, and it just sounds really reassuring of the safety of the car. Sort of like a confirmation of all those safety systems that were on while you were driving. (Hei BMW, are you reading this? I can evangelize for your Marketing Dept. )

* Logic 7 -- http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167

* gas mileage -- here is something I almost forgot to mention. I was blown away by the gas mileage. I'm sure I'll be disappointed a bit when comparing to the consumption I'll get in CA, since here, we don't have 92 anymore, and only 91. In Germany, I think they use 93 or 94. Anyway, I drove 334 miles yesterday, and had a quarter tank left. My AVG MPG was 29. I couldn't believe it. I used to get 21MPG in the city with my 330Ci, and around 26-28MPG on the highway. Here, I did a lot of uphills, twisty roads, city/town driving, and I got 29MPG. Actually, I got 30MPG, but by the time I drove the car to the drop-off center, after doing all the in-city driving in Munich, it dropped to 29MPG. Granted, I didn't drive the car hard, but I probably drove it in a "spirited" fashion, like many of you would on a regular basis. So I attach this great MPG to "fun" driving, and not "wimpy" driving. Very impressive.

* I think that's it. I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of stuff. Oh ya -- I highly recommend the BMW Euro Delivery Program It's my 2nd time, and I wouldn't buy a BMW any other way (maybe because I can't afford it any other way )

ciao ---

Ziv.

Last edited by ziv; 05-04-2005 at 03:15 AM.. Reason: forgot to mention...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2005, 04:16 AM   #27
ldpantoja
Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 330i (E90)

Damn it man!!!!

I would have gone with you if I would have read this thread earlier. I ordered a 330i and they have a production date of June (No Exact Date yet). It's stressing me out sooooooo much. I can't wait to get it. Anyway, like I said. I'm in Germany and if I would have read this thread I would have definately taken up on your offer!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2005, 04:39 AM   #28
kchika
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Evo, E46 M3

Congrats ziv on the ED pickup!

What are your thoughts on the color btw? Is it easy to keep clean?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2005, 06:24 AM   #29
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldpantoja
I ordered a 330i and they have a production date of June (No Exact Date yet). It's stressing me out sooooooo much. I can't wait to get it.
I'm in the same boat as you.... Apparently us 'Military Sales' guys (or Pentagon Sales) have to wait longer than the people in the States. Im not complaining, but I am getting anxious :mad: ... Maybe we can meet up some time with our new E90s... Where are you located?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2005, 07:54 AM   #30
YYdoodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 fanatic

Welcome back Ziv. Thanks for sharing your experience and reaction to the car with us! When does your car get here?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2005, 08:03 AM   #31
ldpantoja
Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 330i (E90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron1011
I'm in the same boat as you.... Apparently us 'Military Sales' guys (or Pentagon Sales) have to wait longer than the people in the States. Im not complaining, but I am getting anxious :mad: ... Maybe we can meet up some time with our new E90s... Where are you located?

I'm over in Vilseck, I bought my car from the dealer in Wurzburg. I ordered the car back in march but still haven't even gotten a production date.

I know, I know. I'm complaining, lol
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2005, 03:38 PM   #32
ziv
Private
Rep

Ya, I love the color. When the sun is shining on it, it has a purple/brown tint to it :-) I love it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2005, 03:43 PM   #33
ziv
Private
Rep

I think that the car will get here in 4-6 weeks. They say 6-8 weeks. I hope they're being pessimistic. I'm hoping that since I dropped it in Munich, it will be faster then the standard 6-8 weeks. But I'll let you know once I got it :-) I heard from my dealer that also once it gets to the VPC (Vehicle Prep Center, at the port), it takes 1 week there, due to customs. 4.5 years ago, it took 6 weeks on my 330Ci. Lastly, just for the boat ride, it takes about 4 weeks because they have to go through the Panama Canal :-(
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2005, 03:43 PM   #34
ziv
Private
Rep

I'm already back to CA :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron1011
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2005, 10:15 PM   #35
EVO_S4
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW  [8.24]
Never knew they had such programs, Next order I guess me and the wife have this program out. Great review
      05-04-2005, 11:03 PM   #36
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Thank you Ziv, I'm sure it'll be a long 4-6 weeks until you get your car, but you've already had more time with your E90 than anyone else here

For those interested, I posted some hi-res photos of the ED trip here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2005, 11:23 PM   #37
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Congrats! Thank you for the incredible pics.

BTW, what was your impression of the E90 330i w/ SP in Alpine White (on the rail)? I don't have one on order so you can be honest.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2005, 05:26 AM   #38
segobi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 330i

thanks for the review of the car and the pics are also awesome!
When the BMW World is ready I'll also pick up my future bmws in munich since im in cologne it's not that far to go there.
How do you us guys get the cars over to the us ? Do you have to pay high duty ?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2005, 05:48 AM   #39
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by segobi
How do you us guys get the cars over to the us ? Do you have to pay high duty ?
No, all of that has been taken care of by the ED program. When they go to Munich they get special 'duty-free' temp plates for the car that are good for up to 90 days. As long as those plates remain on the car they don't pay duty or import tarrifs. Their cars will go on the same boat as the REST of the new Bimmers that are headed to the US.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2005, 06:48 AM   #40
segobi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 330i

ah ok. so they give the cars back again and then they are shipped to the us ?
ok thanks. found this thread:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2005, 01:30 PM   #41
saigonboi21
Registered
Rep
Drives: camry

2006 330i

hello forum, im new to this whole ED thing. IM looking to order a 2006 330i in about a week. I got the invoice pricing thing and looked under Confidential Wholesale Price and also used the price calculator to estimate my car. All i want is a 300i + Auto+ Premium+ Park Assistance+Rear Sunshade. It came out $36,147.30. I was wondering if this is correct. If so is that how much i have to pay or are there more fees and such? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2005, 03:17 PM   #42
amcar
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Timing .. etc

Hi Guys:

I read about ED on the BMW site and have been reading the posts o this forum. What I would link to know is this:

Does BMW give a specific date or do they give a range of dates ? I also heard they will notify when the car is ready and you have x amount of days to pick the car up. What if the have 'messed' up the prep for the car etc ?
How long does the paper work etc take while pciking up and dropping off ?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2006, 04:39 PM   #43
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
One other question?
-I don't want them to drill holes on the front bumper for the plates and I have no intentions of driving the car around in Europe?

How do I prevent them from drilling holes on my bumper at ED Center?

(sorry to bring back an old thread BTW)
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2006, 12:00 AM   #44
hotsand5
hotsand5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i 6spd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Ziv, when I did my ED, Lufthansa airlines had a special...but one ticket get the other free when you buy a BMW and do a ED. You should call them up and find out. All you have to do is pay the taxes and fee's on the ticket (which still comes out to $200.00 or so). Take lot's of pictures!

-2005 Yamaha Warrior 1700 102cu"
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread