BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
RideThePigGir
Mr. Tinnitus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 BlueWaterMetallic 135 M-cpe

Buying my 1er tonight - what to check for?

I wish I could give you the web page with all the details, but CarMax took it down after I put the car on hold. Anyway, it's a 2010 Blue Water Metallic 135i coupe with everything except Power Rear Sunshade and Active Steering. 46k miles, very recently replaced stock Dunlop RFTs (/groan), but otherwise, a heck of a deal.

I trust CarMax and their inspections when it comes to this sort of thing, especially when they know that I'm flying from from Chicago to Phoenix to drive the car back, but what should I pay specific attention for during the test drive and afterward, when I put it on up on the rack? I've read about the wastegate rattle, and I'm familiar enough with turbo engines to recognize it - I would hope - but what signs might the HPFP give of being on its last legs, aside from massive/sudden drops in power?

The salesman said that I can "test drive it as hard as your bail money can pay for", so I don't think getting any problems to surface should be an issue, but I'm about to drive this car 1800 miles... anything else I should be on the lookout for? CarFax shows the car was a CPO until 42k, then was auctioned by one dealer, auctioned by another, driven for 6k by a private party and then sold to CarMax, so it's not clean, per se, but it could be a lot worse.

Thanks in advance, and I'll post a bunch of pics once (assuming) I go through with buying the car!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 12:37 AM   #2
Stupenal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mmm

Last edited by Stupenal; 07-10-2014 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
RideThePigGir
Mr. Tinnitus
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupenal View Post
Factory warranty and Cpo warranty should both be in effect so you'll be fine. While under warranty there's free roadside assistance and the only thing that might leave you stranded on the road would be a water pump failure. Enjoy the ride, I had a 1200 mile drive home after buying my e82 and it was great.
Yeah, it's still under BMW warranty for another 3k miles/until May with BMW Assist, plus the extended warranty through CarMax through 120k, but I had no problems anyway, past feeling like I drove over a few land mines when hitting potholes. Seriously, how do people drive on these run-flats? Other than that, I'm more in love with this car than when I got my first drive in an E39 M5. It's like driving a roller coaster car, but even faster!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 08:14 AM   #4
LuisBoston
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 128i, '23 iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [10.00]
2013 BMW 128i  [9.50]
2007 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Cpo warranty should both be in effect
Don't think CPO transfers that much.
[url]http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897862
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
serpentinebelt1978
Rep
Drives: e46

Go for the 135! Not the M5 you have test driven..
      01-21-2014, 11:15 AM   #6
RideThePigGir
Mr. Tinnitus
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisBoston View Post
Don't think CPO transfers that much.
Yeah, I mixed it up with another similar 135, but this one still has the BMW Manu Warranty until May and/or for another 2750 miles, so I'm good either way.

Any idea if the free scheduled maintenance transfers over to new owners? It might be a stretch to get BMW to shell out with less than 3k miles left on it, but who knows? Maybe they'll do it under the guise of trying to sell me an extension...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 11:15 AM   #7
RideThePigGir
Mr. Tinnitus
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentinebelt1978 View Post
Go for the 135! Not the M5 you have test driven..
Oh, those M5s were years back. I would never drive one except for a weekend/track car, with all the problems they get into at higher mileage.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #8
Marc08EX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideThePigGir View Post
Yeah, I mixed it up with another similar 135, but this one still has the BMW Manu Warranty until May and/or for another 2750 miles, so I'm good either way.

Any idea if the free scheduled maintenance transfers over to new owners? It might be a stretch to get BMW to shell out with less than 3k miles left on it, but who knows? Maybe they'll do it under the guise of trying to sell me an extension...
The factory complimentary maintenance and warranty transfers over. Just bring it over to the service department. Remember they'll only do oil changes once a year or every 15k miles, whichever comes first. So if the oil was just changed by BMW 3 months ago, then they wouldn't cover it. But I'm sure you can ask them to check everything else and they will fix whatever's needed before you cross over that 50k mark. Good luck!

BTW, do you have pics of your new ride?!
2011 135i 6MT | Alpine White | Terracotta Boston Leather | M-Sport | BMW Performance Exhaust Resonator Delete | Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust | BMW Performance Suspension | Blackline LCI Taillights | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | CF Rear Diffuser | PPK | E92 M3 FSB | Matte Black Kidney Grilles | VMR V710 Jet Anthracite | Michelin PSS | BMW SS Pedals
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #9
RideThePigGir
Mr. Tinnitus
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
The factory complimentary maintenance and warranty transfers over. Just bring it over to the service department. Remember they'll only do oil changes once a year or every 15k miles, whichever comes first. So if the oil was just changed by BMW 3 months ago, then they wouldn't cover it. But I'm sure you can ask them to check everything else and they will fix whatever's needed before you cross over that 50k mark. Good luck!

BTW, do you have pics of your new ride?!
Nice, good to know! I'll take myself over and re-introduce myself to the Service Manager at Mercedes (previous car was a C32 AMG); maybe he can get me in with a half-honest SA at the BMW part of the same dealership.

I'll post some soon - been a bitch and a half trying to get the blue to actually come out in pictures, even right after a car wash in direct sunlight. Even CarMax had it listed as Gray/Silver, lol
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #10
Stupenal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mmm

Last edited by Stupenal; 07-10-2014 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #11
RideThePigGir
Mr. Tinnitus
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Double check if your car is CPO - the dealership should be able to tell you.

Even though it's transferred owners (assuming your original post information is accurate), the CPO will remain with the car assuming it was CPO'd prior to 1/1/2014. CPO doesn't cover everything (it doesn't cover a lot actually), but it's good for peace of mind knowing that if something catastrophic were to fail, you should have some coverage.
I have an exclusionary warranty for 80k/72 months through CarMax, so I'm covered there
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #12
mturo
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i coupe

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Double check if your car is CPO - the dealership should be able to tell you.

Even though it's transferred owners (assuming your original post information is accurate), the CPO will remain with the car assuming it was CPO'd prior to 1/1/2014. CPO doesn't cover everything (it doesn't cover a lot actually), but it's good for peace of mind knowing that if something catastrophic were to fail, you should have some coverage.
This helps me a lot with the 135i im picking up with a previous CPO.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 05:42 AM   #13
Texan Engineer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i + ///M Sport Pkg

Hope you're enjoying the new car by now! Things to pay attention to: the spark plugs should be due very soon (45k on the turbo cars iirc). Also keep up with the oil changes - Mike Miller recommends 7.5k OCI, BMW recommends 15k OCI, most people here will gravitated towards the shorter intervals. You can check the previous maint history (at least dealer-performed service) at any BMW dealership, just give them the VIN. Thanks to the "free" maintenance, the car should have at least some resemblance of normal maintenance - if it had more, then good for you. Happy miles!
Appreciate 0