BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-15-2016, 11:14 AM   #1
mexicobmw
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: car

help obd emissions test

Hello I wanetd to ask you for some help.

I live in mexico city and currently have a 2012 1m.

I have the following mods:

Cobb Fmic
Cobb charge pipe
Cobb catted downpipes
Cobb accesport V3 with custome PTF stage 2 tune
Maddad midpipes
Akra rear section

In the recent months the city has now established emission inspections via OBD port.

I have read several therads on the n54 emissions tests etc and how to pass them but im not 100% clear and thus wanted to ask for some help or pointers.

To try and get ready for the inspection so far I have scanned my car with the cobb accesport (had a couple of codes and cleared them), then I proceded to buy an autozone obd car doctor device to scan the car. To my surprise it threw this two codes . P0420 P0430, I have read both this codes are associated with catless donpipes. (mine are catted) .

To be sure I am doing things correct. I now need to flash my car back to stock tune, then erase all codes and proced to record a drive cycle.

myq uestiosn are:

1.-How do I knowo the drive cycle is completed?

2.-The codes I have now P0420 P0430 can be due to the car currently not having recorded the drive cycle? or with the stock tune they should go away?

3.-Do I need to buy and install a DP fix even though my downpieps are catted?

Again thank you for your help

regards

diego garcia
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 03:45 PM   #2
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

The OBD scanner might have a function to test for readiness. Once the drive cycle is completed it'll display if readiness is achieved or not.

The codes you recorded are due to the Cobb downpipes. Even though the Cobb DP's have cats, the cats are not efficient enough to meet emissions requirements. The car throws these codes because it attempted to run the drive cycle and found that these failed the test.

A DP fix is the easiest solution, other one would be to reinstall the stock down pipes. In either case, flashing back to stock tune is needed.

U WOT M8?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 04:36 PM   #3
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicobmw
Hello I wanetd to ask you for some help.

I live in mexico city and currently have a 2012 1m.

I have the following mods:

Cobb Fmic
Cobb charge pipe
Cobb catted downpipes
Cobb accesport V3 with custome PTF stage 2 tune
Maddad midpipes
Akra rear section

In the recent months the city has now established emission inspections via OBD port.

I have read several therads on the n54 emissions tests etc and how to pass them but im not 100% clear and thus wanted to ask for some help or pointers.

To try and get ready for the inspection so far I have scanned my car with the cobb accesport (had a couple of codes and cleared them), then I proceded to buy an autozone obd car doctor device to scan the car. To my surprise it threw this two codes . P0420 P0430, I have read both this codes are associated with catless donpipes. (mine are catted) .

To be sure I am doing things correct. I now need to flash my car back to stock tune, then erase all codes and proced to record a drive cycle.

myq uestiosn are:

1.-How do I knowo the drive cycle is completed?

2.-The codes I have now P0420 P0430 can be due to the car currently not having recorded the drive cycle? or with the stock tune they should go away?

3.-Do I need to buy and install a DP fix even though my downpieps are catted?

Again thank you for your help

regards

diego garcia
Im sorry for your troubles. I don't know
The specifics of mods but I was shocked that Mexico City is doing smog checks. I know it's a hassle now for you but as someone that has lived in EL DF, I think that's awesome news and much overdue! So while a hassle for you now it is a good thing for the future. Hopefully the downpioe swap will solve it for you. Best wishes!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 08:32 AM   #4
mexicobmw
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: car

Thanks for the help, and I do agree this tests in the city are necessary the air quality sucks .

Regards

Diego
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 08:47 AM   #5
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

If you have an OBD2 Bluetooth tool you can download Torque (Free App) on an android device and you can have a function that shows readiness within all parameters. You can do your drive cycles as described in a couple articles and check with this tool to make sure you're good to go.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 07:51 AM   #6
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicobmw View Post
Thanks for the help, and I do agree this tests in the city are necessary the air quality sucks .

Regards

Diego
Sad thing is that the cars contributing to the problem are probably 20 year old fords and chevy's, not well-tuned sports cars . . .
Appreciate 0