E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > chips/paint

03-30-2006, 11:36 AM   #1
ashecnc
In the delivery business :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i Jet Black/Black

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
chips/paint

I have 4 rock chips on my hood now . I even take the long long way to work, on the back roads. Some fool yesterday ran off the road and threw gravel, of course it landed on my hood :mad: I'm like a target, if I drive my beater, nothing touches it!!

My question is, I am going to my dealer when I get off to pick up some touch up paint. Do I need a paint code or do I just say it's Jet black? I also thought it would be best if I used a toothpick to dab the paint on the chip. I figured anything is better than seeing white chips Thanks for the advice!

Born 10/05 '06 325i Jet Black, Black, Sport Package, Xenon's, Heated Seats & Power, Sat. Prep, Rear Spoiler, Chrome Tips, Blacklines, Chrome Grills, 19" M5 wheels NO MORE run flats, drives like a dream now
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 11:38 AM   #2
Gitta
Kelly's 330i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
I would think the dealer could look up the code. I use a 000 brush on small chips. Any local craft store will have them. Sable is best.
'01 325xi | auto | TS-GDL-BW | ZPP | heated seats |........... mods | spoiler | mudguards | blackout grills | clear lights | halo projector headlights |
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 11:43 AM   #3
ashecnc
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitta
I would think the dealer could look up the code. I use a 000 brush on small chips. Any local craft store will have them. Sable is best.
wow a 000 brush,I have no idea, I assume thats tiny I have used a toothpick before and dabbed it, anyone else dabbed?

Born 10/05 '06 325i Jet Black, Black, Sport Package, Xenon's, Heated Seats & Power, Sat. Prep, Rear Spoiler, Chrome Tips, Blacklines, Chrome Grills, 19" M5 wheels NO MORE run flats, drives like a dream now
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 12:04 PM   #4
Gitta
Kelly's 330i
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It basically is the size of a toothpick but much easier to work with. You are "painting" afterall and it's better to dab a brush than a little hard stick, imo.
'01 325xi | auto | TS-GDL-BW | ZPP | heated seats |........... mods | spoiler | mudguards | blackout grills | clear lights | halo projector headlights |
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 12:09 PM   #5
ashecnc
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
It basically is the size of a toothpick but much easier to work with. You are "painting" afterall and it's better to dab a brush than a little hard stick, imo.
We have a Michael's Craft store here, I will stop by this afternoon and see if they have a 000 size brush?

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 12:10 PM   #6
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I also started to notice few rock chips on my hood. I have an Alpine White. Is it better if I touch it up (I have never done this before) or have an professional do it? I know I will get them eventually but 2 of them are noticable and they are starting to bother me. Is there a DIY for this?
      03-30-2006, 12:15 PM   #7
Gitta
Kelly's 330i
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Oz, If you've never done it you might want to leave it to a professional... unless you are pretty handy. I would practice on something other than my car though.

ash, you might want to get a variety pack of brushes that has sizes 0 through 000. Synthetic brushes are cheaper and should do the job ok, but sable brushes are best for this sort of application.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 12:19 PM   #8
ashecnc
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz
I also started to notice few rock chips on my hood. I have an Alpine White. Is it better if I touch it up (I have never done this before) or have an professional do it? I know I will get them eventually but 2 of them are noticable and they are starting to bother me. Is there a DIY for this?
That is why I was going to use a toothpick, they are small of course. They bother me too, mine is black!! I was going to use a professional, but I'd have to go once a week!!

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 12:24 PM   #9
ashecnc
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
ash, you might want to get a variety pack of brushes that has sizes 0 through 000. Synthetic brushes are cheaper and should do the job ok, but sable brushes are best for this sort of application.
thanks, well I haven't really touched up before either. I just assumed a tiny tiny bit in the hole, and dab it in and see how it looks when dry. Then if it looks like it nees more, dab a tiny bit more.

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 02:09 PM   #10
TYW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: - 335i Coupe - Monaco / Saddle

This might help...

Here's how I fixed my first few chips/scratches:

1. Clean the area well to remove any dirt/waxes/polish etc.

2. Using either a fine brush or toothpick, fill the chip with paint and let dry for 24hrs.

3. Apply the clear coat and let dry 24 hrs. (should come with the BMW paint)

4. Use a hole-punch to punch out a few round pieces of 2000 grit sand paper and glue these to the eraser end of a pencil.

6. Now you have to sand the new paint/clear coat with the 2000 grit paper until the area is smooth and even. Don't worry, the "haze" you’ll see is expected.

7. At this point, I used Zaino ZPC to remove the fine marks from sanding. You may have to do this a few times until all the marks are gone. ZPC works great for this type of work (I'm sure there are many other products as well).

8. Now wax/polish with whatever you normally use on the rest of the car. I use Zaino.

No, I am no expert at this, but I found this to be relatively easy and I have to look very hard to find the areas I’ve repaired. A more detailed explanation can be found at:

http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/inf-paint-polish-clinic.html

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 02:13 PM   #11
Pazzuzzu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i SP Arctic Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYW
This might help...

2. Using either a fine brush or toothpick, fill the chip with paint and let dry for 24hrs.

4. Use a hole-punch to punch out a few round pieces of 2000 grit sand paper and glue these to the eraser end of a pencil.

6. Now you have to sand the new paint/clear coat with the 2000 grit paper until the area is smooth and even. Don't worry, the "haze" you’ll see is expected.

7. At this point, I used Zaino ZPC to remove the fine marks from sanding. You may have to do this a few times until all the marks are gone. ZPC works great for this type of work (I'm sure there are many other products as well).

8. Now wax/polish with whatever you normally use on the rest of the car. I use Zaino.

No, I am no expert at this, but I found this to be relatively easy and I have to look very hard to find the areas I’ve repaired. A more detailed explanation can be found at:

Hope this helps!
great procedure!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 02:26 PM   #12
ashecnc
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYW
This might help...

Hope this helps!
Wow very good info, I'll try that. I have never sanded parts, so after that I would need to rewax the whole hood? I also thought when you picked up paint it was all in one bottle, is it two seperate bottles? Thanks

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 02:40 PM   #13
TYW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ashecnc:

I usually do polish (Zaino) the section of the car that I am repairing to have a more uniform shine. But since the area being repaired is usually very small, polishing just the repaired area will work as well.

When I purchased my touch-up paint from BMW (Monaco Blue), it came with two vials: 1 with paint, 1 with clear-coat.

Good Luck! Let us know how you make out.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 02:46 PM   #14
ashecnc
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYW
Ashecnc:

I usually do polish (Zaino) the section of the car that I am repairing to have a more uniform shine. But since the area being repaired is usually very small, polishing just the repaired area will work as well.

When I purchased my touch-up paint from BMW (Monaco Blue), it came with two vials: 1 with paint, 1 with clear-coat.

Good Luck! Let us know how you make out.
Thanks, it makes me nervous about paint, esp on my hood! I get scared to sand my car. When you sand the new area, I guess you sand the area all around, even the part you didn't repaint? Where did you find 2000 grit sand paper, sorry for so many questions..I appreciate the info

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 02:46 PM   #15
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

I'd order the touch-up pen. Forget the crap from the dealer. I don't have a link, by they do advertise in the Roundel.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 02:55 PM   #16
TYW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashecnc
Thanks, it makes me nervous about paint, esp on my hood! I get scared to sand my car. When you sand the new area, I guess you sand the area all around, even the part you didn't repaint? Where did you find 2000 grit sand paper, sorry for so many questions..I appreciate the info
Yea, I was certainly cautious about my first repair. It's almost impossible to only sand the scratch/chip. Again, you will see the haze that the sand paper creates on both the new and original paint. But this buffed out very easily when I used ZPC.

You should be able to get the 2000 grit paper at any Auto parts store. I found it at AutoZone in N.J.

I did try the touch-up pens mentioned by SCA on my wife's car, but I found it difficult to get the proper amount of paint on the pen tip.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 02:56 PM   #17
ashecnc
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA
I'd order the touch-up pen. Forget the crap from the dealer. I don't have a link, by they do advertise in the Roundel.
Looks like I'll be doing this every 1-2 weeks since no matter what I do, or how far back I drive, what road I drive on, someone finds me. As soon as i enter a road, trucks, rocks, crazy ppl appear from everywhere.

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 03:00 PM   #18
ashecnc
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYW
Yea, I was certainly cautious about my first repair. It's almost impossible to only sand the scratch/chip. Again, you will see the haze that the sand paper creates on both the new and original paint. But this buffed out very easily when I used ZPC.

You should be able to get the 2000 grit paper at any Auto parts store. I found it at AutoZone in N.J.

I did try the touch-up pens mentioned by SCA on my wife's car, but I found it difficult to get the proper amount of paint on the pen tip.
I hate to keep asking you questions, but with the toothpick did you just keep dabbing it until the hole was full of paint, or dab a little more until it was slightly above edge.

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 03:09 PM   #19
TYW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashecnc
I hate to keep asking you questions, but with the toothpick did you just keep dabbing it until the hole was full of paint, or dab a little more until it was slightly above edge.

Don't worry about asking questions, that's what makes for a great forum!

From the referenced article:

The color touch-up process is complete when you have applied enough coats to slightly overfill the chip onto the roughed-up area surrounding the chip. Once you've filled the chip, allow it to dry for another 24 to 48 hours; the longer, the better.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 03:19 PM   #20
ashecnc
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYW
Don't worry about asking questions, that's what makes for a great forum!

From the referenced article:

The color touch-up process is complete when you have applied enough coats to slightly overfill the chip onto the roughed-up area surrounding the chip. Once you've filled the chip, allow it to dry for another 24 to 48 hours; the longer, the better.
Thank you!

Appreciate 0