E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Why did you choose the 3-series over its competitors?

View Poll Results: Why did you choose the 3-series over its competitors?
Badge (don't be afraid to choose this one... its anonymous) 25 9.65%
Can't pin the reason down 2 0.77%
Setup options (rwd, awd w/ manual, awd with high-output engine etc.) 44 16.99%
Nothing else amuses me 19 7.34%
Interior/Exterior looks 16 6.18%
All of the above 108 41.70%
Other (please specify) 45 17.37%
Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

03-12-2006, 01:50 PM   #67
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I chose "other", so here's why:

I was driving my 2003 Passat W8 which was a great car and very powerful - loaded, etc. but wasn't any "fun". I was yearning for the fun feeling that my previous Mercedes C230k had but wanted something a bit larger - a sedan. I was shopping for a C class sedan with all the bells and whistles. My dealer sells both MB and BMW on opposite sides of the same showroom. While I was mulling around waiting for the salesperson (whom I bought my previous MB from) to do something or other, I caught a glimpse of the "new BMW 3 Series" across the showroom. I didn't even know there was a "new" 3 series, and had never driven a BMW before. Actually, the badge was one of the detractors for me because I always felt that BMW drivers were arrogant, obnoxious, and self-entitled assholes. But I went over for a look-see because I adore cars and this was a pretty one! This was in early May 2005.

That's when I met Stephanie (the CA) who told me all about the car, answered my questions, and then said "wanna drive one?". I took the E90 for a spin and when I got out of the car my exact words were "Okay, now I get it". I hadn't driven a car that had the blend of comfort, ammenities, and gadgets that I love -- and the DRIVE and SOUL. I was hooked. I bid a fond farewell to my Mercedes salesperson and ordered my E90. It's been 9 months, and I still look forward to sitting behind the wheel and taking off for my daily commute.

So, while I certainly claim some of the reasons listed - like the beautiful design both inside and out, and the great options and configurations, I have to say that driving a BMW is what did it for me and still does.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 02:38 PM   #68
carnuts3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
I chose "other", so here's why:

I was driving my 2003 Passat W8 which was a great car and very powerful - loaded, etc. but wasn't any "fun". I was yearning for the fun feeling that my previous Mercedes C230k had but wanted something a bit larger - a sedan. I was shopping for a C class sedan with all the bells and whistles. My dealer sells both MB and BMW on opposite sides of the same showroom. While I was mulling around waiting for the salesperson (whom I bought my previous MB from) to do something or other, I caught a glimpse of the "new BMW 3 Series" across the showroom. I didn't even know there was a "new" 3 series, and had never driven a BMW before. Actually, the badge was one of the detractors for me because I always felt that BMW drivers were arrogant, obnoxious, and self-entitled assholes. But I went over for a look-see because I adore cars and this was a pretty one! This was in early May 2005.

Exactly - I couldn't say it any better. I know exactly how you felt after your first drive in a bimmer. There is nothing like it. I just can't imagine all the other drivers out there that haven't experienced the ultimate yet. They don't know what they are missing. But, at any rate, I am happoy to see that you are now one of those arrogant, obnoxious, self-entitled assholes like me. Aren't we lucky!

That's when I met Stephanie (the CA) who told me all about the car, answered my questions, and then said "wanna drive one?". I took the E90 for a spin and when I got out of the car my exact words were "Okay, now I get it". I hadn't driven a car that had the blend of comfort, ammenities, and gadgets that I love -- and the DRIVE and SOUL. I was hooked. I bid a fond farewell to my Mercedes salesperson and ordered my E90. It's been 9 months, and I still look forward to sitting behind the wheel and taking off for my daily commute.

So, while I certainly claim some of the reasons listed - like the beautiful design both inside and out, and the great options and configurations, I have to say that driving a BMW is what did it for me and still does.
Exactly. I know exactly how you felt after your first drive in a bimmer. There is nothing like it. So I guess you are now one of those arrogant, obnoxious, self-entitled assholes like me. Aren't we lucky!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 02:43 PM   #69
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Yes. Yes I am! And I always feel that if you're going to do something you should do it well! I did ask my CA "do I get hair gel with this" when I ordered my car.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 03:08 PM   #70
quincy
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuts3
Exactly. I know exactly how you felt after your first drive in a bimmer. There is nothing like it. So I guess you are now one of those arrogant, obnoxious, self-entitled assholes like me. Aren't we lucky!
You guys are making being assholes very fashionable.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 03:49 PM   #71
Marven
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 Sedan

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
The E34 was my first BMW...I've owned american cars, japanese cars and now german. I have to say that bar far german engineering beats them all. My E34 which is 17 years old still drives better than some of newer vehicles out there...we rented a car to this past week and my wife who doesnt drive very much and doesnt know anything about cars said that she prefers our 17 year old car to a new 2006 Vibe. She perfers the way that bimmer just doesnt turn at just a touch of the steering wheel...now I know the vibe is not even in the same league but when a very new driver can sense it that means something.

I test drove the TSX cause I figured with BMW you have to add all the options at extra cost so the differance was $10000 for a similarly equipped car. With that differance I had to look at it...so I took it for a test drive and then went straight after to BMW dealership....you can instantly see and feel the differance between the two cars...from the interior parts to the handling...so if I am willing to pay $10000 differance you know it's worth it cause well I"M CHEAP! However I recognize quality...for now the E90 is a good car..havent figured out if leasing or buying is better so I've leased while I think about it...

I will remain a BMW customer as long as my budget allows...

M.
      03-12-2006, 04:10 PM   #72
carjon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi Sedan

handling - drove the rest and they don't compare
Appreciate 0