BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #5171
bdot
Rep
Drives: 135is (#491)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Whoa! That's interesting. Must be kinda exciting and weird at the same time, huh? Hopefully they'll start posting and be active, too...and/or buy your PS shocks. =P
I'm the one who bought 3002 tii's car. It's amazing! He really took great care of her.

Also my first BMW. Really excited to be a part of this community! No pics yet but I'm sure most of us have seen pics of her.

This is a huge upgrade from my 2011 Impreza. It'll be a while though before I do any suspension/performance mods, I want to get to know her in her stock form.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 10:46 AM   #5172
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdot View Post
I'm the one who bought 3002 tii's car. It's amazing! He really took great care of her.

Also my first BMW. Really excited to be a part of this community! No pics yet but I'm sure most of us have seen pics of her.

This is a huge upgrade from my 2011 Impreza. It'll be a while though before I do any suspension/performance mods, I want to get to know her in her stock form.
Welcome and glad you decided to come aboard here. Yep, his car is well-known and revered on here.

In stock form these things are lil beasts and that sound...just intoxicating. Makes you do bad things though sometimes. Or most times.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 10:55 AM   #5173
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

Welcome!! Glad I'm no longer the newb!! =)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 12:26 PM   #5174
bdot
Rep

Quote:
Welcome and glad you decided to come aboard here. Yep, his car is well-known and revered on here.

In stock form these things are lil beasts and that sound...just intoxicating. Makes you do bad things though sometimes. Or most times.
Tell me about it... I've been getting horrible gas mileage these past couple of days...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 12:34 PM   #5175
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Tell me about it... I've been getting horrible gas mileage these past couple of days...
Ha! Ya, I rarely look at that anymore, though considering the amount of performance, they actually get quite good mileage. I think I normally get around 19.1 for the lifetime, though that's probably 75% street, and 25% highway. On the highway, I bet we could get 28-29 or even crack 30mpg if we wanted to. I blame the damn exhaust though. I remember my first day with the car, I found myself on the freeway just giving it gas and weaving through traffic just to hear it roar some more...would then slow down a bit and repeat.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 12:55 PM   #5176
bdot
Rep

Quote:
Ha! Ya, I rarely look at that anymore, though considering the amount of performance, they actually get quite good mileage. I think I normally get around 19.1 for the lifetime, though that's probably 75% street, and 25% highway. On the highway, I bet we could get 28-29 or even crack 30mpg if we wanted to. I blame the damn exhaust though. I remember my first day with the car, I found myself on the freeway just giving it gas and weaving through traffic just to hear it roar some more...would then slow down a bit and repeat.
Yup that happened. Also driving with the windows down more often haha. Only complaints so far are the useless cup holders and I can't figure out what the negative number represents when I connect my phone via bluetooth. Anyone know? I tried the manual already.

edit: Nice R! The MK7 R was my top choice for a new car. Followed it for a while before they announced pricing. Turned out to be outside of my budget . If they make a R sportswagon in the future I may have to look into that.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 01:08 PM   #5177
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Yup that happened. Also driving with the windows down more often haha. Only complaints so far are the useless cup holders and I can't figure out what the negative number represents when I connect my phone via bluetooth. Anyone know? I tried the manual already.

edit: Nice R! The MK7 R was my top choice for a new car. Followed it for a while before they announced pricing. Turned out to be outside of my budget . If they make a R sportswagon in the future I may have to look into that.
You use the clip on cup holder thing, too? I've never opened mine out of the packaging it came in, let alone clipped it on to see how it works. My cupholder just houses my garage door opener and phone on occasion.

You'll have to take a picture of this negative number you're talking about. Or may just want to delete the phone from the car and try re-pairing/synching it?

Ya, I've got quite the stable now with the R, which is uber expensive for a VW, but I just tell myself it's really cheap compared to the S3 which it's identical to mechanically, and costs $10k less. And $20k cheaper than a polestar S60 I nearly got. See, so I SAVED money! That R is a fun lil beast in and of its own right, and interesting to compare the two cars. While similar on paper, they have very different feels to them, different flavors, and very different sensory experiences driving them. Definitely pushed that R for the first time yesterday to let it out, finding myself barreling down PCH way too fast and hitting 95 on the freeway, too. O=|
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 01:49 PM   #5178
bdot
Rep

Quote:
You use the clip on cup holder thing, too? I've never opened mine out of the packaging it came in, let alone clipped it on to see how it works. My cupholder just houses my garage door opener and phone on occasion.

You'll have to take a picture of this negative number you're talking about. Or may just want to delete the phone from the car and try re-pairing/synching it?

Ya, I've got quite the stable now with the R, which is uber expensive for a VW, but I just tell myself it's really cheap compared to the S3 which it's identical to mechanically, and costs $10k less. And $20k cheaper than a polestar S60 I nearly got. See, so I SAVED money! That R is a fun lil beast in and of its own right, and interesting to compare the two cars. While similar on paper, they have very different feels to them, different flavors, and very different sensory experiences driving them. Definitely pushed that R for the first time yesterday to let it out, finding myself barreling down PCH way too fast and hitting 95 on the freeway, too. O=|
Just googled it: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=713339
It's the track number.

Yes, I use the clip on cup holder. It isn't exactly the most attractive thing in the car... and it also gets in the way of my passenger's knees... but it is way more functional than the cup holder under the armrest.

Even though the R is a lot of money for a Golf, comparing performance, options, and utility, it's one of the best choices in that price range, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 02:01 PM   #5179
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Just googled it: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=713339
It's the track number.

Yes, I use the clip on cup holder. It isn't exactly the most attractive thing in the car... and it also gets in the way of my passenger's knees... but it is way more functional than the cup holder under the armrest.

Even though the R is a lot of money for a Golf, comparing performance, options, and utility, it's one of the best choices in that price range, IMO.
Ah, I don't have any music on my phone so never played anything via bluetooth. I just keep a flash drive in the USB slot under the arm rest and play my music that way. I like it better as the idrive then shows the big album art when the song is on compared to when I played it through the car's internal hard drive.

I also agree, performance-wise, bang for buck, you're hard pressed to find a better deal than the R. The only car that really had posed a threat to my beloved IS was the upcoming 2016 TTS, which again, is identical to the S3 and R mechanically, though after they just released pricing and options finally for that car a few weeks ago, it'd be $57k! No thanks! That's like M2 money. I have to resist the urge to put the michelin pilot super sports on there though.

And to get back on point to your car, 3002 tii kept the pilot super sports on there, right? Hope the dealer didn't take them off and put new runflats on and then try to build that into their price, though they likely did as they love putting new runflats on used/CPO cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 02:35 PM   #5180
bdot
Rep

Quote:
Ah, I don't have any music on my phone so never played anything via bluetooth. I just keep a flash drive in the USB slot under the arm rest and play my music that way. I like it better as the idrive then shows the big album art when the song is on compared to when I played it through the car's internal hard drive.

I also agree, performance-wise, bang for buck, you're hard pressed to find a better deal than the R. The only car that really had posed a threat to my beloved IS was the upcoming 2016 TTS, which again, is identical to the S3 and R mechanically, though after they just released pricing and options finally for that car a few weeks ago, it'd be $57k! No thanks! That's like M2 money. I have to resist the urge to put the michelin pilot super sports on there though.

And to get back on point to your car, 3002 tii kept the pilot super sports on there, right? Hope the dealer didn't take them off and put new runflats on and then try to build that into their price, though they likely did as they love putting new runflats on used/CPO cars.
I just found out about connecteddrive and now I can control Spotify through idrive. If only it worked through bluetooth.

Fortunately, the dealer left the tires alone and didn't put runflats on. They're RE760's and not super sports.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 03:55 PM   #5181
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Quote:

Welcome BDot! We feel like we already know you.... I plead guilty for harvesting some parts off your car as well.. =P
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 04:00 PM   #5182
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner View Post
Welcome BDot! We feel like we already know you.... I plead guilty for harvesting some parts off your car as well.. =P
Oh and 3002 tii promised me a kidney from the new owner if they came on here.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 05:19 PM   #5183
bdot
Rep

Quote:
Oh and 3002 tii promised me a kidney from the new owner if they came on here.
Oh... I actually made a mistake, I bought 3001 tii's car....
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 07:47 PM   #5184
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Quote:
Oh... I actually made a mistake, I bought 3001 tii's car....
lol, if you ask him for those BMW Performance Suspension he's been tying to sell, you will be back on track! wink!!
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 08:07 PM   #5185
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner View Post
lol, if you ask him for those BMW Performance Suspension he's been tying to sell, you will be back on track! wink!!
I actually would highly suggest buying the shocks BACK from him at a discount, buy a set of new performance springs using coupon codes from getbmwparts.com and voila! Will need an upgraded front sway bar though, however most, 3002 tii included opted for the M3 front sway bar. Would be funny, too if they ended up back on their rightful place back on the car...poetic even. The blue dinan springs though do match the color of the car. Hmm.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 09:48 PM   #5186
bdot
Rep

Quote:
I actually would highly suggest buying the shocks BACK from him at a discount, buy a set of new performance springs using coupon codes from getbmwparts.com and voila! Will need an upgraded front sway bar though, however most, 3002 tii included opted for the M3 front sway bar. Would be funny, too if they ended up back on their rightful place back on the car...poetic even. The blue dinan springs though do match the color of the car. Hmm.
I've actually already talked to him about what he has left from when he owned the car. He's hooking me up with an amazing deal for his winter set.

The shocks were reallllly tempting too but I'm just not sure yet if I'm unsatisfied with the ride now. In a few months I may want to upgrade but I haven't even owned the car for 72 hours yet lol. Plus he has an interested buyer and I didn't want to keep him waiting. Maybe if that deal falls through then I'll reconsider.

I definitely want to track the car at some point but 95% of the time it's used for spirited daily driving. Would it still be worth it? Please talk me into it, I'd love to hear your opinions.

I have to say though, it does feel like the shocks should be on this car.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 10:32 PM   #5187
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
I've actually already talked to him about what he has left from when he owned the car. He's hooking me up with an amazing deal for his winter set.

The shocks were reallllly tempting too but I'm just not sure yet if I'm unsatisfied with the ride now. In a few months I may want to upgrade but I haven't even owned the car for 72 hours yet lol. Plus he has an interested buyer and I didn't want to keep him waiting. Maybe if that deal falls through then I'll reconsider.

I definitely want to track the car at some point but 95% of the time it's used for spirited daily driving. Would it still be worth it? Please talk me into it, I'd love to hear your opinions.

I have to say though, it does feel like the shocks should be on this car.
Suspension setups are always going to be hard to suggest since it's so much about feel and everyone's tastes, wants, and applications are going to be slightly different.

With that said, there are probably countless posts in this thread of me emphatically trying to persuade and push everyone to get the performance suspension. It's not the most hardcore suspension or quite track focused, and yes, there are probably slightly better performing setups that might be a couple hundred bucks less, but I think for a spirited daily driver that might once in a blue moon see the track, it's an excellent setup. A few of us have the performance suspension so can offer up feedback, but overall, to me at least, it went from the stock setup that was very bouncy and squirrely and easily upset by road imperfections, that never inspired much confidence in the car's handling, to just oh so planted and hunkered down, eliminating a lot of the vertical travel in the suspension and squat and body roll, yet, it seems to soak up road imperfections much better, too. My main concern was that it would create a harsh ride, but seems to be basically all positive effects and no trade-offs or negatives, aside from cost.

Dan can probably offer up more info in terms of how it would fare on the track, but for me, I only wanted to put genuine BMW parts on and since these cars essentially are just a 135 that raided the entire BMW Performance parts bin, it seemed fitting to put it on there as well. Plus, it was designed and engineered by BMW as a complete system, slides in under the warranty, etc. etc. Not to mention, it lowers the car very subtly, too, which gives it just an extra hint of aggression and sits so nicely. I won't ramble on too much about it, but you can check out some install pics and my initial reactions in the first few days if you jump back to page 161 here.

Also, as an alternative suspension setup, many experts who know our cars well would suggest a koni yellow shocks with swift r spec springs. THat probably falls a hair more towards the track-oriented performance scale, whereas the bmw performance suspension is slightly more towards street performance. To me though, the performance suspension really transformed the whole feel of the car and if I didn't have it, I probably wouldn't still have the car right now as it was a game changer for me at least.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...66514&page=161
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 10:46 PM   #5188
bdot
Rep

Damn, your initial review is very convincing and that slight drop looks perfect. Is this the full kit?

http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...gid=4462&tab=1

I think Dan may have already sold off the shocks already. If only I had read your post earlier. I'll try messaging him but his sale thread sales sold now
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 11:05 PM   #5189
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Damn, your initial review is very convincing and that slight drop looks perfect. Is this the full kit?

http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...gid=4462&tab=1

I think Dan may have already sold off the shocks already. If only I had read your post earlier. I'll try messaging him but his sale thread sales sold now
Yep, that's it. they seem to sell it as an entire "kit" though normally the way it's sold is there is a "kit" which is what's pictured here (which CAVU's wife said looks like the female reproductive system), that includes new shocks, upgraded front sway bar, and all brand new nuts, bolts, bump stops, and everything else you need for the upgrade, and then you buy the yellow springs separately. BMW did that as there are like 5-6 different spring part #s that are subtly different and are VIN dependent, tailored to the various options and such on each car. Getbmwparts is just being nice and you'll have to provide your VIN and then they put the correct yellow springs together with the kit that you can see in my trunk as the huge box.

You still may want to live with it as is for a bit, see what you think. Plus, wouldn't feel too bad if you missed out on Dan's shocks because you ultimately would have then had to have gotten an upgraded front sway as well, which may have been a pain, along with the bushings and things to install that as well.

But, know that I researched it for months and months and probably read every person's feedback imaginable, contacted several people to get their opinions, and not one person ever had one bad thing to say about it, and nobody regretted it one iota. CAVU also put it on his IS, so he may chime in at some point as well. My commute though is on some just god awful surface streets filled with potholes, seemingly logs under the pavement, just awful, and it certainly handles all of that in a such a more composed fashion. Though as I warned, it feels so planted and instills so much confidence in the car and how it handles, I found myself driving much much faster and I swear the faster you go, the more it seems to hunker down.

Still hoping to convince some of the others to put it on soon, too, so I can compare notes...and get my customary 15% kickbacks as well. O=) I know a few are close to taking the plunge.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 11:35 PM   #5190
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
I tried but he resisted! Shocks are officially sold which means I'm no longer in possession of any 1-series part. Although I still have a set of OZ rims that I was going to use on the Z but it does fit on the 135i and would look darn good!

Bdot - Take good care of her. The one other mod (in addition to the subframe inserts) I left on the car was the BMW Performance sticker under the hood, can't believe that thing cost $20 lol.
      07-14-2015, 12:30 AM   #5191
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
I tried but he resisted! Shocks are officially sold which means I'm no longer in possession of any 1-series part. Although I still have a set of OZ rims that I was going to use on the Z but it does fit on the 135i and would look darn good!

Bdot - Take good care of her. The one other mod (in addition to the subframe inserts) I left on the car was the BMW Performance sticker under the hood, can't believe that thing cost $20 lol.
Shoulda called in the big guns! The paid BMW PS lobbyist.

I may even get the m3 subframe bushings finally. Perhaps the final piece d'resistance. That or a car wash.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 07:46 AM   #5192
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post

Shoulda called in the big guns! The paid BMW PS lobbyist.

I may even get the m3 subframe bushings finally. Perhaps the final piece d'resistance. That or a car wash.
this is calling you, big time!!!

Last edited by IEDEI; 07-14-2015 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0