BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #243
andnkuhn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i.N55.6SPD.M-SPORT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
im going to give this mod a shot.

i used the ziptie method .

the trunk/carpet panel in the video above is different than what i have in my n55 135i. The carpet piece removed ONLY gives you access to the tail light connections and you would have to remove the whole trunk liner to get at the solenoid for the vacuum line.
I took the tail of the ziptie and looped it through the vacuum line to prevent the ziptie from slipping off. It also allows more room to remove it if i want.

here is a picture of what it looks like.

This "Blip/gurgle" is now noticeable which iv never heard from my car before I do a lot of in-town driving so i will return with my finding after i drive around with it for a couple days.
Attached Images

12-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #244
Got_///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Awesome little mod. Def made a difference! Does anyone else hear a weird noise when idle?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #245
andnkuhn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got_///M View Post
Awesome little mod. Def made a difference! Does anyone else hear a weird noise when idle?
the sound is really great, it is without a doubt much louder and has nice gurles.
I dont hear anything at idle, but there is a bit of hum/drone. The hum isnt bad at all.

I like the idea someone had to use this mod in the warmer weather when you can enjoy the sounds with your windows down and remove teh mod during the winter.

p.s there is ZERO. influence on radio interference and ZERO decrease in fuel mpg (mine went up .2 today after a few days with it; (iv been driving gingerly))
      12-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #246
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

ZERO. influence on radio .... ah why would it bother your radio?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #247
andnkuhn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shah269 View Post
ZERO. influence on radio .... ah why would it bother your radio?
who knows someone in an earlier post said it might.. just confirming the obvious haha
      12-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #248
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

The easy way to do a "golf tee" mod

The easy way to do a "golf tee" mod

1. Take 1 x $0.50c plastic spring clamp

2. Bend and clamp vacuum hose.

Pro's
  • It took me all of 10 seconds to reach under there and clamp the hose. I didn't even have to look under the car.
  • It's removable in seconds.
  • It's held on without falling for 10,000km, track day, 200kmph+ speeds.
  • It cost me only 50c.
  • There's no risk of codes, unblocked vacuum hose, anything breaking, etc.
Attached Images

12-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #249
LW50
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 Competition

When I start up my car, and the revs settle down to idle at ~700RPM, it's pretty obvious that you can hear the metallic click of the flap opening and the exhaust note deepens.

Does anyone else's car do this? If so, I've got to ask, what's the point of the mod if the flap opens up within 30 seconds anyway?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #250
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW50 View Post
When I start up my car, and the revs settle down to idle at ~700RPM, it's pretty obvious that you can hear the metallic click of the flap opening and the exhaust note deepens.

Does anyone else's car do this? If so, I've got to ask, what's the point of the mod if the flap opens up within 30 seconds anyway?
Are you 100% sure that the metallic clank is the sound of the flap opening?

Either way, below 3000RPMs the flap is closed. Whether is closes once you start moving or is already closed, it's closed. Once you break 3000RPMs it will open up.

The point of the 'golf tee' mod is that when driving around town at below 3000RPMs as most people do, the exhaust will be more audible. Above 3000RPMs it shouldn't make any difference as to whether or not you did this mod.
      12-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #251
LW50
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post

Either way, below 3000RPMs the flap is closed. Whether is closes once you start moving or is already closed, it's closed. Once you break 3000RPMs it will open up.

The point of the 'golf tee' mod is that when driving around town at below 3000RPMs as most people do, the exhaust will be more audible. Above 3000RPMs it shouldn't make any difference as to whether or not you did this mod.
Positive. You can hear an immediate difference in the exhaust note after the clank noise. I bought the car used, so that may have an impact on it. Isn't there a way to modify the actuation via coding/reflash?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #252
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Positive. You can hear an immediate difference in the exhaust note after the clank noise. I bought the car used, so that may have an impact on it. Isn't there a way to modify the actuation via coding/reflash?
I actually have a feeling that it may be the flap closing rather than opening.

When your car is cold starting there's a lot more exhaust flow and I think it's actually keeping it open to allow that flow and it closes once it's warmed up.

Of course I'm not 100% sure of this but it seems to make more sense than if it were to open up after cold starting when idling.

Someone told me that the JB4 can do the 'golf tee' mod through its software but I have a procede so I really have no idea.

If you coded it or flashed it it would be pretty much permanent until you un-code or flash it back to stock. With this mod there is a certain level of drone present when at highway speeds so it would be better not to be permanent.

Try my way if you want to give it a go. It's really really cheap, quick and easy and works exactly the same as opposed to pulling this out, plugging that, tieing the other thing, etc etc.
      12-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #253
LW50
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I actually have a feeling that it may be the flap closing rather than opening.

When your car is cold starting there's a lot more exhaust flow and I think it's actually keeping it open to allow that flow and it closes once it's warmed up.

Of course I'm not 100% sure of this but it seems to make more sense than if it were to open up after cold starting when idling.

Someone told me that the JB4 can do the 'golf tee' mod through its software but I have a procede so I really have no idea.

If you coded it or flashed it it would be pretty much permanent until you un-code or flash it back to stock. With this mod there is a certain level of drone present when at highway speeds so it would be better not to be permanent.

Try my way if you want to give it a go. It's really really cheap, quick and easy and works exactly the same as opposed to pulling this out, plugging that, tieing the other thing, etc etc.
Understood, still almost positive it's opening rather than closing.

It honestly never dawned on me to check if the previous owner put in a JB4, so I just ran outside to see if the steering wheel menu would work--no dice. While I was there, I grabbed a quick video of the sound, you can hear the valve open up right at the 28 second mark. It's the same behavior on both cold starts, and after the engine's been up to operating temps.

You can't really hear the difference in the exhaust tone at idle and during the quick blips because the mic on my phone sucks, but in person it's noticeably lower in tone.

I'll go clamp the line one of these days to verify and rule out the possibility of myself being an idiot.

Last edited by LW50; 12-11-2012 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #254
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Understood, still almost positive it's opening rather than closing.

It honestly never dawned on me to check if the previous owner put in a JB4, so I just ran outside to see if the steering wheel menu would work--no dice. While I was there, I grabbed a quick video of the sound, you can hear the valve open up right at the 28 second mark. It's the same behavior on both cold starts, and after the engine's been up to operating temps.

You can't really hear the difference in the exhaust tone at idle and during the quick blips because the mic on my phone sucks, but in person it's noticeably lower in tone.

I'll go clamp the line one of these days to verify and rule out the possibility of myself being an idiot.
You could do a visual check. If you look down the left pipe with a torch you can actually see the valve. Just don't breathe in the fumes LOL.

Another way that you can check is once you believe that it's open/closed you can just pinch the valve with your fingers to cut off the vacuum and see what happens.
      12-12-2012, 08:25 AM   #255
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
I recorded a video (some time ago) of what happens before and after the "clink" you hear as the car settles in. It doesn't appear to do anything at all before the golf tee mod. You can clearly see the difference after the mod.

Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #256
LW50
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
I recorded a video (some time ago) of what happens before and after the "clink" you hear as the car settles in. It doesn't appear to do anything at all before the golf tee mod. You can clearly see the difference after the mod.

Gotcha, thanks for the video. That's definitely the clink noise. I wonder then what that noise is being caused by and why it still manages to affect the exhaust tone...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #257
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Happy I just did this, very noticeable difference. Did it the exact way the OP suggested. When coasting, I can't really hear a difference but the second I get on the throttle you know. Also, the instant I started my car after doing the mod instantly put the biggest smile on my face.

Took about two minutes to do. Tops.

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

2016 M3 | AWE Switchpath Diamond Black 102mm (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #258
andnkuhn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:

If this is true it makes me wonder...

After i did the mod (which i really love btw), while driving on the highway at cruising speeds i do get a bit of very mild drone that i dont have without the mod. (i know this because i have put on and taken off the mod a few times to confirm the mild drone)..my crusiing highway speeds/rpms are above 3000rpms.. where is is this drone coming from if the flap is open with and without this mod?
      12-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #259
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andnkuhn
Quote:

If this is true it makes me wonder...

After i did the mod (which i really love btw), while driving on the highway at cruising speeds i do get a bit of very mild drone that i dont have without the mod. (i know this because i have put on and taken off the mod a few times to confirm the mild drone)..my crusiing highway speeds/rpms are above 3000rpms.. where is is this drone coming from if the flap is open with and without this mod?
Maybe the flap responds to how down on the throttle you are? So if you're coasting at above 3k the flap doesn't open until you really get on the throttle.

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

2016 M3 | AWE Switchpath Diamond Black 102mm (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #260
vodycolk
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I did the Zip Tie mod and just pinched the tube. Works great and sounds low and grumbly at idle and below 2k RPM
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #261
john_w_lewis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volksfragen View Post
I did the Zip Tie mod and just pinched the tube. Works great and sounds low and grumbly at idle and below 2k RPM
Did you notice a "clinking" sound? Is this common or are only a couple people experiencing this?

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 12:59 AM   #262
Got_///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_w_lewis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volksfragen View Post
Did you notice a "clinking" sound? Is this common or are only a couple people experiencing this?
I'm getting a clinking noise too. It used to bug me but I don't really care anymore. You can hear it when you're standing outside. Not sitting in the car
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #263
rabidmonkeyman
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

does anybody know if the 135is has the flapper on the exhaust? i looked all over underneath mine and i dont see any hoses!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #264
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Does it have the performance exhaust? If so, there isn't a flapper on the performance system.
Appreciate 0