09-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Slight steering wheel vibration

I'm noticing very slight steering vibration at around 120-140km/h...was hoping you guys could provide insight as to what it is. I'm going to take it into the dealership tomorrow to have it checked out but just wanted to see if anyone has had this happen.

It's kind of odd, the vibration from the wheel disappears at much higher speeds but between 120-140km/h its present. I had the car sitting in the garage for a week, then took it out and noticed this. At first I thought it was the weather because the temperature dropped to single digits and thought the tires were cold. Now I'm wondering if I got a flat spot on the tire...but I hadn't driven it for only a week, so that would be surprising..I would think it would take a lot longer of time to get a flat spot on a tire...not sure.

Car has 9800km on it, and it's done it's break in. Stock wheels and tires. Everything else is stock as well.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 02:14 AM   #2
Boxtyp3
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 MG

Garage List
2015 F32 435  [0.00]
2002 E46 cp  [0.00]
2010 E82 135i  [0.00]
2013 E92 335i  [0.00]
Do you have an aftermarket rims?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 05:08 AM   #3
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Read this thread (via the link below) carefully, particularly my posts, I guarantee if you follow my advice methodically, you'll find the cause of the vibration. Good luck.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694632
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Find a shop able to do "road force" balancing of your wheels and you'll be all set.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtyp3 View Post
Do you have an aftermarket rims?
Nope, all stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
Read this thread (via the link below) carefully, particularly my posts, I guarantee if you follow my advice methodically, you'll find the cause of the vibration. Good luck.

Thanks for the link..I actually did a search after my initial post and found your thread and read your comments. I'm going to keep it with me when I visit the dealer to have it checked and make sure they tackle some of your suggestions.

I'm trying to figure it out myself. I didn't hit anything or park on something that would affect the tires. I had the car in the garage for about 7-8 days then drove it out last tuesday and noticed the vibration.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
Thanks for the link..I actually did a search after my initial post and found your thread and read your comments. I'm going to keep it with me when I visit the dealer to have it checked and make sure they tackle some of your suggestions.

I'm trying to figure it out myself. I didn't hit anything or park on something that would affect the tires. I had the car in the garage for about 7-8 days then drove it out last tuesday and noticed the vibration.
Imbalance not necessarily caused by trauma (i.e., hitting something).

Lead weights used for balancing regularly detach from wheels, tires shift position on wheels as result of slip -- could be any number of things.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

I had the exact same issue on another car that I owned previously, a Peugeot 308 CC. The issue was common, well reported and was linked to a very slightly deformed (production error) front brake discs. The steering was vibrating around 120 km/h and after 130 or before 115 there was no problem at all. Since that was the legal top speed on the highways, was quite annoying. The dealer just took the car for a short test drive and then changed the discs with brand new ones that they asked for me from France under the warranty. The vibration did not disappear all together but diminished considerably. It can be any other thing in your 1M but you may also keep this in mind when you talk with your service advisor.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz
Quote:

Ah, did you have vibration prior to the parking for 7-8 days? If not then the most likely answer is that your tyres have developed a flat spot, which will go away with regular driving. High performance low profile tyres are susceptible to this due to their compound and construction. Flat spots can develop almost immediately especially after a prolonged or a hard drive. When I was on a long distance trip. I used to get vibration after pulling into the petrol station after driving for 4 or so hours non-stop.

Also, try not to jump straight to road force balancing until you have excluded other causes which cannot be fixed or detected with road force balancing.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ah, did you have vibration prior to the parking for 7-8 days? If not then the most likely answer is that your tyres have developed a flat spot, which will go away with regular driving. High performance low profile tyres are susceptible to this due to their compound and construction. Flat spots can develop almost immediately especially after a prolonged or a hard drive. When I was on a long distance trip. I used to get vibration after pulling into the petrol station after driving for 4 or so hours non-stop.

Also, try not to jump straight to road force balancing until you have excluded other causes which cannot be fixed or detected with road force balancing.
No I didn't have any vibration prior to the 7-8 days while it was garaged. Wheel vibration from regular road/highway road imperfection is normal to me and of course cranking the stereo high and feeling the bass through the wheel!

I'm also thinking it could be a flat spot...but I'm surprised it would develop so quickly. Yep, there is a sweet spot where the vibration is extremely noticeable and it's within that 120-140km/h bracket. I took the car past 170km/h and it was gone. I'll have to see what the dealer says.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #11
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

No I didn't have any vibration prior to the 7-8 days while it was garaged. Wheel vibration from regular road/highway road imperfection is normal to me and of course cranking the stereo high and feeling the bass through the wheel!

I'm also thinking it could be a flat spot...but I'm surprised it would develop so quickly. Yep, there is a sweet spot where the vibration is extremely noticeable and it's within that 120-140km/h bracket. I took the car past 170km/h and it was gone. I'll have to see what the dealer says.
No harm having the dealer look at it. But it definitely sounds like flat spots. They can develop very quickly and are only a mild annoyance and may take a good number of miles at highway speeds to even out.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
bvez3ro
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F80 YMB

I have the same problem with the stock setup. It occurs between 80-90 km/h and the tires have only 7.000 km on the clock. I drove to the dealer and the Werkstattmeister testdrove my car. He said that it could come from the profile of the tires. I don't have the issue with my wintertires.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No harm having the dealer look at it. But it definitely sounds like flat spots. They can develop very quickly and are only a mild annoyance and may take a good number of miles at highway speeds to even out.
Yep, I'll see what they say...hopefully there won't be a charge but I have a feeling there will be!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yep, I'll see what they say...hopefully there won't be a charge but I have a feeling there will be!
There shouldn't be. Vehicle warranty in the UK covers things like alignment, wheel balance etc for up to a year or 12k miles. Defects in OEM tyres not caused by usage are covered as part of vehicle warranty as well. Read BMW's warranty guidelines for Canada, it should be similar.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #15
1M_Black Beast
Rep
Drives: 1M

Have Same Vibration Problem.
Just very Strange and hard to diagnose.
Doesn't matter what they do, it is always good for 500km and then it starts again.
- so just taking the tires Off and On, Good for 500 and then it appear again.

- alignment done twice, three times Wheel balancing.
Nothing changed, first it disapears after approx 500km its back.

RIM original, PS2 Tire with 5mm profil. 1m is completly stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #16
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Just an update: I took the car into the dealer this morning and had the service manager sit next to me as I drove on the highway to show him the vibration in the wheel.

He suggested doing road force balancing on the front two tires so I agreed and the vehicle is with the dealer at the moment getting that done.

Will update once I get the car back and take it for a spin to check.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #17
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just an update: I took the car into the dealer this morning and had the service manager sit next to me as I drove on the highway to show him the vibration in the wheel.

He suggested doing road force balancing on the front two tires so I agreed and the vehicle is with the dealer at the moment getting that done.

Will update once I get the car back and take it for a spin to check.
Just be aware that if there are flat spots on your tyres and you have them road force balanced, you might eventually end up having an imbalance again when the flat spot goes away.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 06:15 AM   #18
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Just be aware that if there are flat spots on your tyres and you have them road force balanced, you might eventually end up having an imbalance again when the flat spot goes away.

+1... I would have held off on the dealer and driven another 500-1k miles before going that route..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #19
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post
+1... I would have held off on the dealer and driven another 500-1k miles before going that route..
If the tech using the Road Force balancing equipment knows how to use it, he'll be able to identify the flat spot.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #20
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
If the tech using the Road Force balancing equipment knows how to use it, he'll be able to identify the flat spot.

Neil
I agree. However im not a big fan of "ifs"
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #21
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Got the car back yesterday and took it for a quick spin on the highway. The vibration seems to have gone away! But I'm skeptical so I'm going to drive it a little more and see how it is.

The dealer did not see any flat spot on the tires and they did a road force balance on the front wheels only. They found that the front right wheel was off by 0.5 ounce.

So far so good, will keep you posted when I get a chance for a longer drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #22
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
Got the car back yesterday and took it for a quick spin on the highway. The vibration seems to have gone away! But I'm skeptical so I'm going to drive it a little more and see how it is.

The dealer did not see any flat spot on the tires and they did a road force balance on the front wheels only. They found that the front right wheel was off by 0.5 ounce.

So far so good, will keep you posted when I get a chance for a longer drive.
It sounds like maybe you had a weight fall off at some point. Glad to hear it appears solved.
Appreciate 0