BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-09-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
ktdw
BMWCCA #401908
Rep
Drives: 135i

Car Detailers - Zaino

I got some referrals for detailers that use Zaino, but I have no idea how good they are. One said it would take 6 hours to detail, the other said it would take 3 hours. The prices were comparable.

...I guess you can have 2 guys working at the same time, and cut the time in half. I'm just concerned about getting ripped off about something I don't know anything about...

So, my questions: How much time is involved in a quality detail (I know it varies by expectations, but you get my drift)? Any good tips on identifying a good detailer? Are there any specific requests you guys usually make when going to a detailer?

Thanks!

Vishnu PROcede v3, Vishnu Dual Cone Intake, Code3 FMIC, Riss Racing Downpipes, Riss Racing Exhaust, H&R Sport Springs
Best 1/4 mile: 12.583 @ 117.609 mph
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdw View Post
I got some referrals for detailers that use Zaino, but I have no idea how good they are. One said it would take 6 hours to detail, the other said it would take 3 hours. The prices were comparable.

...I guess you can have 2 guys working at the same time, and cut the time in half. I'm just concerned about getting ripped off about something I don't know anything about...

So, my questions: How much time is involved in a quality detail (I know it varies by expectations, but you get my drift)? Any good tips on identifying a good detailer? Are there any specific requests you guys usually make when going to a detailer?

Thanks!
If you're talking washing, claybar, and paint correction (with an orbital polisher) in to consideration with this detail job give yourself a good while to do so... like a good full afternoon and early evening (if not longer).

If you're talking JUST a wash, claybar, wash, dry and a few (3-4) coats of Zaino WITH their ZFX product to dry it almost instantly then I can't see why it would take you more than 5 or so hours.

My detail job consisted of the following and took me around 15 hours (I'm new to using an orbital, so I started REALLY slow):
  • Zaino car wash
  • Zaino clay bar w/fresh car wash as lube
  • Zaino car wash
  • Norton LiquidIce paint correction
  • Zaino Z2 polish/wax
  • Zaino Z2 polish/wax
  • Zaino Z5 polish/wax
  • Griot's Carnauba wax (hood only)
  • Zaino car wash (wheels)
  • Mother's wax (wheels)
NOTE: Norton LiquidIce was applied with a Porter Cable orbital polisher. All Zaino products were applied with the applicators that they sell on their website and microfiber towels were used to wipe off all of the above.

The reason I applied Griot's wax on the hood was because it was my first time using Zaino and wanted to make sure it was worth it after it sees some elements. Thus far, I see absolutely no difference in the world and it's holding up great!

A couple of pics (click for larger versions):

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

First off ...JTSHERRI...car looks awesome. Nice work!

KTDW...I have never used Zaino products but heard they are great. However, if you read all their literature about Zaino products it sounds like they are meant to go on slow, dry completely and not be rushed. I haven't used any of their stuff so take my comments with a grain of salt! If you are going to a GOOD deatiler then it should not matter if they are using Zaino. They should be using a good professional product that will give comparable results. You are paying for them to do a top notch application/polish. I have been to a detail shop and very quickly could tell they were trying to do a quick, shit job. Conversly I have been to a high end detailer and they used high quality products and you could seee the guys doing the work taking the time to do it right. They had lines of satisifed repeat customers outside singint he praises of the store. Try your local forum and see if anyone near you has a recommended detailer. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 10:32 PM   #4
MadisonOne
Private
Rep
Drives:

Jtsherri,

You missed a spot. just kidding...looks great.

This is my first black car and I gotta say I'm kinda bumming. I've never had a car where you can see fingerprints on the paint. Looks the best when it's clean, but gdamn it's a PIA to upkeep.
      06-10-2008, 12:05 AM   #5
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonOne View Post
Jtsherri,

This is my first black car and I gotta say I'm kinda bumming. I've never had a car where you can see fingerprints on the paint. Looks the best when it's clean, but gdamn it's a PIA to upkeep.

lol welcome to the club. My first black car as well and it is...interesting. Nothing looks better clean, but I swear I can clean the thing spotless and one drive down the street and it is covered with dust. Ah well, I do love the Jet Black but you have to just accept that it will never be perfect...ever.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 12:50 AM   #6
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsherri View Post
If you're talking washing, claybar, and paint correction (with an orbital polisher) in to consideration with this detail job give yourself a good while to do so... like a good full afternoon and early evening (if not longer).

If you're talking JUST a wash, claybar, wash, dry and a few (3-4) coats of Zaino WITH their ZFX product to dry it almost instantly then I can't see why it would take you more than 5 or so hours.

My detail job consisted of the following and took me around 15 hours (I'm new to using an orbital, so I started REALLY slow):
  • Zaino car wash
  • Zaino clay bar w/fresh car wash as lube
  • Zaino car wash
  • Norton LiquidIce paint correction
  • Zaino Z2 polish/wax
  • Zaino Z2 polish/wax
  • Zaino Z5 polish/wax
  • Griot's Carnauba wax (hood only)
  • Zaino car wash (wheels)
  • Mother's wax (wheels)
NOTE: Norton LiquidIce was applied with a Porter Cable orbital polisher. All Zaino products were applied with the applicators that they sell on their website and microfiber towels were used to wipe off all of the above.

The reason I applied Griot's wax on the hood was because it was my first time using Zaino and wanted to make sure it was worth it after it sees some elements. Thus far, I see absolutely no difference in the world and it's holding up great!

A couple of pics (click for larger versions):

damn
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 07:14 AM   #7
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonOne View Post
Jtsherri,

Why are people touching your car? Where are the fingerprints coming from? If you Zaino the car, anything like this will come right off with a light Clear Spray and a cotton towel. It is possible to get in the car, open the trunk and hood without touching anything but the door handles. To close the trunk, use the handles inside the trunk lid, then the license plate for the final push to lock. To close the hood, use the roundel. To close the doors, use the handle only.

I find the hardest spot on the car to keep clean is the trunk lid, spoiler and top of the bumper near the trunk lid, under the license plate. Dirt seems to collect here I suppose from the aerodymanics of the car. It takes just a few minutes after a wash/dry to touch this area up with an application of Zaino Z2.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 09:21 AM   #8
Matt60158
///M
Rep
Drives:

Depending on how much damage they are correcting I would say about 6 hours if fair just for the exterior. You have a new car so polishing may not yet be necessary. The best thing you can do is a buy a good quality wash mitt to avoid doing massive damage every time you wash. Go to Autopia and get your PhD in automotive detailing.

I prefer the natural wool mitt and it gives me no trouble on my current dark blue vehicle.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/vk-103.html