BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
wolfson.tyler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

stu build is the 135 even worth it???

Since i recieved my 135 I have done numerous autoxs and have enjoyed them greatly but now I want to work my way to the podium. (as everyone does). THe question I pose to all of you is what is the best class for the 135 to be competetive. I am currently running STU and feel i havehave no chance there currently. Im running kw v3 coils, vorshlag camber plates, breyton gts-r wheels with kuhmo ecsta xs tire (I know not the best tires). Has anyone done a full STU build? if so I would love to see a full list of modifications to get the maximum potential out of this car in the class. Even if you haven't actually done the build I would love insight from more experieced autoxers who could tell me what i could do to still remain legal in STU.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
wolfson.tyler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

oh befor i get flamed for this one. I know the best way to make the car go faster is by making the nut behind the wheel better. Im working on that as much as i can. Ive just began racing in Skip barbers mx-5 challenge and have completed the last two races at laguna seca and at road atlanta. I was able to win the 2 out of the 4 of those races. and took pole 3 times. I know that doesn't directly translate to autox but I dont want to seem like some guy who wants to buy his way to autox results with mods
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
RaceTime
Auto X'er
Rep
Drives: 2009 Space Gray 135i

Well, if you look at Nat results, you will find that STU was dominated by AWD cars (Evo's)... You will notice that the leader of a race team that I am on is the only one to podium in STU with a rear wheel drive car (light weight M totally built! Moton's, etc...) I would not suggest STU. Our car is good on the track, but kind out classed in autocrosses... Just my $.02 tho! I run mine in BSP due to a dinan tune...
Dinan Stage 2 software, Injen intake, RR Oil Catch Can, H&R Pro-coilovers and springs, H&R front sway bar, Vorshlag camber plates, Vorshlag comp studs, BMW strut brace, BMW performance pedals, G-Force harneses, BMP tow hooks, Breyton GTS-R wheels with 255-35R18 (square set up) and custom axel back exhaust with muffler delete.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTime View Post
Well, if you look at Nat results, you will find that STU was dominated by AWD cars (Evo's)... You will notice that the leader of a race team that I am on is the only one to podium in STU with a rear wheel drive car (light weight M totally built! Moton's, etc...) I would not suggest STU. Our car is good on the track, but kind out classed in autocrosses... Just my $.02 tho! I run mine in BSP due to a dinan tune...

I agree. It's going to be tough to make a 135 nationally competitive in STU against the AWD cars. The 2009 STU national championship winning EVO runs in my region.
      11-22-2009, 11:18 PM   #5
wolfson.tyler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

so that all being said what would you guys say is the class the 135 stands the best chance in? and which mods would you run if any to fit that class
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 10:43 PM   #6
MINI135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C and 2013 FR-S

Yeah, the AWD beasts are always a big problem! I am advocate of letting AWD fight it out in a separate STX/STU classes and don't even get me started if it happens to be raining (which it always does at Nationals!)

I have come to the conclusion that the 135i is not going to be a STU national competitor, but Stock is just so boring from a tweaking perspective and ugly (massive front bar, adjustable shocks and as much R compound as you stuff under the fenders and on skinny front wheels: the car of course looks like a 4x4 when your done.) Or enjoy the local and regional autocrosses in STU where you can still come out on the podium. If you drive it on the street or track, a semi to fully STU prepped car is WAY more fun too! In fact, a fully prepped STU car on the track would be a dream.

Last edited by MINI135i; 11-27-2009 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfson.tyler View Post
so that all being said what would you guys say is the class the 135 stands the best chance in? and which mods would you run if any to fit that class
It should make a good BSP car. 18x10.5's with 258/30-18 Hoosiers, AST shocks, spings, swaybars, bushings, weight reduction....
      12-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #8
gotcone.com
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

I think it depends on your definition of 'worth it'. Do you want to be nationally competitive or just go out and have fun? I think, as mentioned above it will be tough for a RWD car to beat all the AWD beasts in STU at nationals. That being said, with the right driver and set up I think it could be done, but it won't be easy. The surface at Lincoln is an equalizer, as there is TONS of grip, which gives a RWD car a little hope over what was at Topeka. I think a lot of fun can be had in STU in the 135i and can hopefully compete at least at a local level.