06-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #287
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
I really wish people would stop bumping this thread until there are some solid updates.
Scott has responded with nothing because there is nothing to respond to regarding an M1. This thread has turned out to be a total waste of time. Fortunately for those who are ordering a 135i at near invoice pricing and with more free options can use there left over cash to get some bushings, coils, tires and a diff that will outperform a 135is.

This really sucks. We need a real M1, not some dressed up 135. Who's ready to pay over invoice for this? It will be pretty sad to see a sleeper N55 outperform this so called M1.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #288
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135MDCT View Post
Scott has responded with nothing because there is nothing to respond to regarding an M1. This thread has turned out to be a total waste of time. Fortunately for those who are ordering a 135i at near invoice pricing and with more free options can use there left over cash to get some bushings, coils, tires and a diff that will outperform a 135is.

This really sucks. We need a real M1, not some dressed up 135. Who's ready to pay over invoice for this? It will be pretty sad to see a sleeper N55 outperform this so called M1.
Look, Scott has said it will be a M, Kay Segler said that a M will come, we've sen the spy pics, and as Scott has said, BMW tests in phases. Which we have seen since last Oct, Nov. We've seen the interior, we've seen the suspension,We've seen the CF roof, the quad exhaust tips, the crossed drilled rotors, and we've seen the LSD---no IS version of a car has that. And that the Ms have quad exhaust tips, lightweight wheels and upgraded brakes... We've got 5 more months. There are not gonna be updates every week or every other week. So be patient! Instead of acting like drug addicts, just chill. As the saying goes, good things happen to those who wait. Unfortunately, those who have bought or are gonna buy a 135i, may feel a little upset because they were not patient---now thinking about what to add to take out the M version. It takes more than some CF bits, coilovers, and a LSD to be a M division car.

The C&D article has a lot of misinfo. One, 335 HP wouldn't need wider fenders like the ones shown. Two, they didn't speak on the little detail, like brakes, suspension, CF roof, etc.

It will come...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #289
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyT View Post
Lots of BS in that article, not sure how people still read them and let them get away with stuff like that; I would never hear the end of it.
      06-27-2010, 10:23 PM   #290
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Scott. Is the car actually codenamed "pyrat" as per that c&d article?

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 10:50 PM   #291
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
Lots of BS in that article, not sure how people still read them and let them get away with stuff like that; I would never hear the end of it.
Yes, PLENTY of B.S. They have to fill the pages somehow. All these rags are good for is writing entertaining reviews and taking pretty pictures. The rest is BULL CRAP imho.
      06-28-2010, 06:35 AM   #292
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Lets hope C&D is inaccurate! We don't want a 135is. Looks like the equivalent of the 335is. No diff, no CF roof, no brembos, no S55. This M1 turned out to be a big joke.

Scott, Is C&D accurate?
That's what I've always been worried about. The 1M will be nothing more than a quick and cheap way for BMW to make a few more bucks on the E82 platform before they move on. Let's hope they don't do that, but the C&D article suggests that's what's coming.
      06-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #293
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Many automotive media journalists and sometimes forum enthusiasts overshoot their credibility in one swoop.

One thing that is always overlooked is the principle in which an M is conceived , and this is where the competition falls flat.
The basis car for an M has to be a very good platform to begin with in which BMW's such as the M3 , M5 even the X5 are at the top of the segment for driving enjoyment. Secondly an M is not just in principle a faster BMW .
The car is re-engineered to suit the advancements the M division apply it is not just a 3er with a more powerful engine , a lot of thought has to go in to make the car apply with it's power.

The 1 Series M is no different from any other M car , true this is known as a cost effective way to create an M by using components and mechanicals from the M3 as the 1 will do . But the M3 is a car that has universal acclaim , and is a car that has a very good basis the 3er Coupe to justify it's position as the benchmark.

It is correct that the latest M engines are developed from their BMW Counterparts , but these are award winning engines that are adapted to suit the character of M. No one likes change but the philosophy has to be adapted in light of increased emission targets but the engines dont have to be the same engine transplanted into several vehicles.

The engine being developed for the 1 series M will also provide the basis for the next generation BMW M3 Coupe.
The V8 introduced with the X5 and X6 M will be seen in both the M5 and M6 but with a different character and more power . The M6 will also offer a slight increase in power over the M5 to challenge other high end performance cars such as the 911 Turbo and Audi R8 5.2...

As I have said before (numerous times before) that BMW's test in phases , at the early stage fit and finish is neither essential or important. The numerous engineering divisions working on the car test their specifics first before multiple prototypes become one.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #294
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Scott,

You know your words will now be analyzed like some Papal decree.
So - the 1M will have a new engine that will be the basis for the M3? That would mean it will not be an upgraded N54 (though it wll have a turbo). OK, sounds promising, possibly extremely promising if this implies that there even would be a clear path to M3 power on an 1M platform.
      06-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #295
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Scott,

You know your words will now be analyzed like some Papal decree.
So - the 1M will have a new engine that will be the basis for the M3? That would mean it will not be an upgraded N54 (though it wll have a turbo). OK, sounds promising, possibly extremely promising if this implies that there even would be a clear path to M3 power on an 1M platform.
You must have missed Paragraph 4, Sentence 1 of the above Papal decree.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #296
Evan135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: My wife Crazy

I think the wait sometimes drives us all crazy. Scott has told us tons about the car and all of the logical engineering is being used. People that think this is a cheap way to make the 1M/M1 might not be considering the big picture, IMO.

The M3 is internationally renowned as one of the best handling street cars, period. When CD tested it against the Nissan GT-R and Porsche Turbo they said "all other car makers should stop what they are making and just make M3s" The M3 won the test.

This car will have an M3 adapted suspension, we have all seen the pieces and know M will tune spring rates, dampers, and sway bars to the application. This means that it will be basically one of the worlds greatest handling road cars with a shorter wheel base and less weight. What's not to love? It even gets rid on the lower torque V8 that is better on a track than out in the real world.

All of these pieces are being coordinated by M. I have to pinch myself sometimes to believe we are getting this car. I would prefer this car over a M3 or M anything. I can now afford almost any car and this is the one I want. (for a lot of reasons, like it should be available with a glass sunroof option and others). So my decesion is almost price independant. I know all will not agree, especially the track guys, but the chassis on this car will be awesome and considering the engine is the basis of the next M3 it should be very good too.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #297
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

I will wait for the car to speak for itself, because ultimately that's what matters. Those who must have the car on day 1 can preorder. I have done and did that and enjoyed the perks of being first. This time around, however, I will wait for thorough reviews, and a proper test drive before putting my money down. There are plenty of competition on the horizon. If 1 series M can go toe-to-toe with the Cayman RS I will definitely get a BMW over Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #298
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
If 1 series M can go toe-to-toe with the Cayman RS I will definitely get a BMW over Porsche.
Yes, if a car that's half the cost of another can match it performance wise, I think more than one person would consider it. But I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #299
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
sometimes forum enthusiasts overshoot their credibility in one swoop.
Have you ever gone hunting for Pheasant?
Quote:
One thing that is always overlooked is the principle in which an M is conceived , and this is where the competition falls flat.
The basis car for an M has to be a very good platform to begin with in which BMW's such as the M3 , M5 even the X5 are at the top of the segment for driving enjoyment. Secondly an M is not just in principle a faster BMW .
The car is re-engineered to suit the advancements the M division apply it is not just a 3er with a more powerful engine , a lot of thought has to go in to make the car apply with it's power.
We are not interested in sales pitch rhetoric.

Quote:
The 1 Series M is no different from any other M car , true this is known as a cost effective way to create an M by using components and mechanicals from the M3 as the 1 will do . But the M3 is a car that has universal acclaim , and is a car that has a very good basis the 3er Coupe to justify it's position as the benchmark.

It is correct that the latest M engines are developed from their BMW Counterparts , but these are award winning engines that are adapted to suit the character of M. No one likes change but the philosophy has to be adapted in light of increased emission targets but the engines dont have to be the same engine transplanted into several vehicles.
I'm fine with this. As long as the M1 comes with the M3 diff.

Quote:
The engine being developed for the 1 series M will also provide the basis for the next generation BMW M3 Coupe.
Now this is info candy. It's like the pheasant is packen a 9mm.

Quote:
The M6 will also offer a slight increase in power over the M5 to challenge other high end performance cars such as the 911 Turbo
I question your credibility making statements like this.

Sorry, but I have an addiction and there is ownly 1 cure.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #300
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Yes, if a car that's half the cost of another can match it performance wise, I think more than one person would consider it. But I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.
Maybe I am spoiled. As I recall one of the allure of E46 M3 was it's capable to hold its own against Corvettes and 911 (non-special edition) like David versus Goliath. I am not hopefully it will be on par but at least keep pace and make P-car driver hard to shake the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #301
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Maybe I am spoiled. As I recall one of the allure of E46 M3 was it's capable to hold its own against Corvettes and 911 (non-special edition) like David versus Goliath.
I think that's still the case with the E9x M3, and probably with the E82 1M-Thingy, but as with any BMW comparison, only to a point. BMW M cars tend to get ratty in a hurry on an actual track, something that Porsches and Corvettes tend not to. Between poor cooling, poor oil delivery and very substandard brakes, there really hasn't been an M car that can hold its own on the track (oops, excluding the E30 M3), at least for more than a few laps.

Comparing an M Car to a stock, lower end Porsche is okay if we're talking canyon runs or straight line performance, but it tends to fall apart on the track and gets even worse if you include higher performance options from the Porsche catalog.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #302
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep

Ouch
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #303
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ouch
Not really meant to come off as rude, or unfair. I think 99% of M buyers are fine with the street performance of their cars and don't really care about the track capabilities. Just as I can arm chair quarterback how an M whatever is better than a Cayman in countless ways.

It comes down to what the owner really wants, and some of the shortcomings of M products are never exposed by most buyers. Ultimately, I've owned the same S52 powered M Car for over a decade and it's served its purpose very well, survived plenty of track time and still puts a smile on my face every day. I just know that I come out on the wrong end of a stop watch when a Cayman or Corvette is around, but it doesn't keep me up at night.

If anything, it seems that the M Division is coming to terms with this and hopefully is putting the money previously spent on making highly wound, but generally torque deficient motors into more thought out suspension, brake and driveline tuning.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #304
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
[QUOTE=JB135MDCT;7576008]

We are not interested in sales pitch rhetoric.[QUOTE=JB135MDCT;7576008]

You do know SCOTT is part of the marketing department, right?

[QUOTE=JB135MDCT;7576008]Now this is info candy. It's like the pheasant is packen a 9mm.[QUOTE=JB135MDCT;7576008]

This has been known for a while....

IMO, anything that we can get from a pretty forthcoming and very reliable inside source is icing on the cake....hell none of us would have anything but the crap from the rags if it weren't for SCOTT...
      06-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #305
KSAF
Speed Demon
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
IMO, anything that we can get from a pretty forthcoming and very reliable inside source is icing on the cake....hell none of us would have anything but the crap from the rags if it weren't for SCOTT...
      06-28-2010, 09:34 PM   #306
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=dmboone25;7577216][QUOTE=JB135MDCT;7576008]

We are not interested in sales pitch rhetoric.[QUOTE=JB135MDCT;7576008]

You do know SCOTT is part of the marketing department, right?

[QUOTE=JB135MDCT;7576008]Now this is info candy. It's like the pheasant is packen a 9mm.
Quote:

This has been known for a while....

Excuse my ignorance, but why would the M1 share an engine with M3?

It seems like Scott's statements have gone through a critique and approval with upper management. The only reliable data we have are pictures, no concrete details have been divulged.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #307
Evan135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: My wife Crazy

Beacuse all of the M engines are going turbo for emmisions and mileage reasons. They can be more efficient for the same amount of power at the expense of some nonlinearity. Just as the next M6 will use and advanced form of the M5 engine, so will the M3 use a different tuned 1M/M1 engine.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 03:12 AM   #308
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan135 View Post
Because all of the M engines are going turbo for emmisions and mileage reasons. They can be more efficient for the same amount of power at the expense of some nonlinearity. Just as the next M6 will use and advanced form of the M5 engine, so will the M3 use a different tuned 1M/M1 engine.
Exactly, and probably less weight, more torque.

JB135MDCT, this news is months old. Do you really think M was going to keep the V8 now, when emissions regs in Europe and US are tightening? The best option is the the S55 engine and develop it so that it can handle about 450-475 hp, if not more. By the time it gets into the next M3, this engine will have had some thorough engineering, kinda like a 21st century RB26DETT or 2JZ-GTE...
Appreciate 0