03-28-2011, 04:19 PM   #155
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

Lol

You guys are just magazine racing.

Put your money where your mouth is and order a TT-RS/1M if you think one is better than the other. I guarantee you the $15k USD difference will make you think twice.

Personally, if money was not a concern I'd get the TT-RS (always loved Aud TT in general, I just didn't like the exorbitant price premium). AWD + easy to replicate 0-60 times + DSG + cleaner styling = win
      03-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #156
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
what makes you think they won't.... I bet they make another for the top two when the production cars are available
I certainly hope so!!! It will most likely be their sister mag, but who cares, as long as it is objective. Get a production 1///M and a real US-spec'ed TTRS in 6-spd guise, and do a proper shootout. It appears the US TTRS will have a power bump, a modest 20crank (at least so stated), but will be a tad heavier than the Euro one, so we shall see.

As we see from the Porsche tests, the difference between the PDK and the manual (on identical cars) is pretty significant. So the pretty signifant performance gap we see here will be bridged.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #157
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Seems like the RS4 is what would be a fair comparison, not the TT RS.
Those two cars can't be any more polar opposites
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #158
poverty
Rep
Drives: TTRS 410BHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargedman View Post
i think his input is relevant to this ongoing discussion regarding the ttrs. just because he's not necessarily allied to the 1m doesn't mean we can shun him. we canadians should be appreciative of diverse viewpoints.

Thanks someone understands. Im on here because im passionate about the car, I havent bashed the BMW at all, infact I have registered interest in the car and have the 1M brochure at home.

Before I got my TT I was worried I might have made the wrong choice as info about the 1M was just being revealed, and I was wondering whether I should hold fire, but impatience got the better of me and I now happily own the audi.

Lets face it, the performance between the two cars are pretty even and both excel all round. For certain things the beemer is better, and for others its the audi.

No point getting worked up over these things. I only joined up here because people where saying that the TT cant do this, or cant do that, and I just wanted to balance the discussion by saying hold up guys, there are us joe average guys who have achieved as good as or better than the magazines figures, so it is possible!

0-60 really isnt my thing either Mr.Roboto, my previous car was a high powered fwd car which when rolling from 30mph would leave a stock TTRS behind by about two-three car lengths. Throw in some bends or damp/wet road and the TT did obliterate it though.

You pays your money and take your pick, I look forward to meeting some 1m owners and getting to experience the car first hand

Last edited by poverty; 03-28-2011 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #159
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

np, maybe you can get in my extra-good books by giving me your brochure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poverty View Post
Thanks someone understands. Im on here because im passionate about the car, I havent bashed the BMW at all, infact I have registered interest in the car and have the 1M brochure at home.

Before I got my TT I was worried I might have made the wrong choice as info about the 1M was just being revealed, and I was wondering whether I should hold fire, but impatience got the better of me and I now happily own the audi.

Lets face it, the performance between the two cars are pretty even and both excel all round. For certain things the beemer is better, and for others its the audi.

No point getting worked up over these things. I only joined up here because people where saying that the TT cant do this, or cant do that, and I just wanted to balance the discussion by saying hold up guys, there are us joe average guys who have achieved as good as or better than the magazines figures, so it is possible!

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #160
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: fast, but could be faster

Not going into the argument of which one is faster/better here but one thing's for sure the TTRS is FAST (and sounds really good doing it!).

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #161
poverty
Rep

Quote:
np, maybe you can get in my extra-good books by giving me your brochure.
Have you not yet got them in Canada?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #162
superchargedman
Captain
Rep

nosir.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #163
poverty
Rep

Quote:
nosir.
PM me your address and I can send you mine if you want?

Or I could scan for everyone to see? Would have thought a UK member would have done that already maybe?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #164
elitt13
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: 1///M Coupe & ///M2 CS DKG

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M coupé  [10.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by conneem-TT View Post
Here is their data panel for the comparison test with the RX8, 370Z and Solstice.

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...49e0b474e2.pdf
thanks

03-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #165
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

I read this article yesterday, and since then I've come back to it in my mind over and over again.

Yes I realize that the TT RS will not come with the dual clutch transmission here in the states, but just the fact that a car with those performance figures exists at that price point blows my mind. Yes I (being a US resident) won't be able to get the TT RS with dual clutch, but somebody willl, and that person is getting a tremendous amount of performance for his/her dollar. The 1M did win in this comparison - yes. But I think the real winner in this comparison is the TT RS, if for nothing else for how eye opening its performance figures are. So the question is begged, why can't BMW put out a car with similar performance figures at this price point?

- esquire

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 05:51 PM   #166
superchargedman
Captain
Rep

wow, really?! that's so great of you! i'm in love with this car, and i've been trying to pick up all the prints i can find on it with only the bimmer mag to show. pm'ing.
Quote:
PM me your address and I can send you mine if you want?

Or I could scan for everyone to see? Would have thought a UK member would have done that already maybe?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #167
superchargedman
Captain
Rep

posted to your profile, as i can't pm you. thanks so much, poverty!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #168
poverty
Rep

Quote:
posted to your profile, as i can't pm you. thanks so much, poverty!

Ahh yes I was just thinking that actually. I probably have another 24 housr to go or so before that feature works.

But no worries pal glad I could help someone out, always nice having reading material of your fav car. Reminds me of the time a audi dealer gave me a hard back book on the RS4 when that first came out
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #169
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Wow, I just noticed there was an Infinity in that comparo too..... Nice numbers on the TTRS (with DSG of course). I agree with the outcome, the 1M is the car to beat.
      03-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #170
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

BMW has been catching crap from ford and audi in camparo tests. They need to really show us what they can make when they're pushed.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #171
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm View Post
Not going into the argument of which one is faster/better here but one thing's for sure the TTRS is FAST (and sounds really good doing it!).

FWIW, you do know that this is a tuned car right?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #172
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

This is exactly why I posted the thread to Scott about when the journalists would get their hands on a production model. This one review sure livened things up around here eh?

Also, not sure if it matters that much but this was a pre-production model they tested.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #173
superchargedman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ahh yes I was just thinking that actually. I probably have another 24 housr to go or so before that feature works.

But no worries pal glad I could help someone out, always nice having reading material of your fav car. Reminds me of the time a audi dealer gave me a hard back book on the RS4 when that first came out
that's great! this is my first really amazing car that i've ever owned. the rsx doesn't quite make my heart skip a beat like the 1m. you definitely don't want to hear about my previous cars. geo tracker, anyone?

thanks again, poverty!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #174
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Take away the dual clutch on the Audi and it's slower. Too bad they didn't note the opposite - if BMW has given the 1M a dual clutch it would be faster.
      03-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #175
techthentic
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i, 370z

Why are you guys still arguing over the Audi which is 16 grand more expensive lol
The true competitor is the RS3...
Actually, here in Canada, the competitor price wise, is the TT-S

and @poverty
fact is, Audi TT-RS recorded 0-60 times for the manual is ~4.6
even if I was to believe you, that 4.1 is attainable,
your car is still WAY more expensive.
There is no doubt that you bought a nice car, but why don't you brag to guys who are paying, or going to be paying the same amount of money for their cars... oh wait, thats cause everything at the TT-RS price point would kill it... Sorry!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #176
l888apex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: #30/740 BSM 1M

This comparo is so dumb. I'm not really biased, owned a B5 S4 and love Audi's, but TT's are the girliest model they offer in the opinion of most people I've seen. I'm sure these guys are excited that M owners are getting all worked up over their girly cars now being quick and girly, but the TT-RS is the same price as a well optioned M3, not a bare 1M. The performance is obviously skewed by the AWD and DCT and Launch Control. It's probably building a good bit of boost off the line. The Evo comes with a factory 2-step launch control that lets you floor it while keeping the RPM set at 6k and you will see 7-10 psi before you are moving. I have cut a 1.59 60' on 330 whp with street tires and have the slip too. That's why it does a 12.1 but the trap speed of 113 is about normal for a 340 hp 3100 lbs car. It's not defying the laws of physics it's just quick thanks to it not being very hard to drive. Reminds me of when the GT-R pulling crazy magazine comparo numbers, seemingly impossible at 480 hp and 3800 lbs.

The TT-RS is obviously a bit laggier than the M which is why it's not as strong in the 5-60, and the in-gear pulls. It couldn't even use all it's gears at those speeds which means it probably only shifts twice going to 60 mph too whereas the close ratio 6 speed M has 3 but on the butt dyno it probably feels better to drive the BMW. Both cars seem to have good modding potential too. The 1M deserves to win because it's a much better value and is obviously well balanced and fun to drive as seen by those scores.
Appreciate 0