E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Dilema- Need advice

05-23-2006, 12:36 AM   #1
USAF BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: hopefully...

Dilema- Need advice

Hey all,
I ordered my 330xi and asked for sirius on top of other stuff. I called the dealer the next day when i saw that the website said sat prep and not sat radio. They said that they tried to fix it, but that it was too late to change that one option (the car was not in production yet). They said that they would install the radio when it go to the dealer. Now they are saying that the sirius module has changed and is backordered for at least 30 days. I am pissed. I feel like i am getting jacked around here. What should i do? they are charging me for mats, an i already plan on telling them i dont want mats. I think i am going to say, I want them to install an alarm and an Ipod connecter when i bring the car back at the end of the summer to get the radio. Do you think the will go for it. I paid 1500 over invoice.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2006, 12:46 AM   #2
Scarabeo
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: E90

Don't sweat the small stuff - they may be telling you the truth about the module. I am a little confused - you say on one hand that your car was not in production yet, and then that the Sirius module was back ordered 30 days..if your car is still in Germany, what is the crisis? Stop throwing a hissy fit and remember that you will probably have to go back to this dealer for service....
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2006, 06:46 AM   #3
USAF BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I forgot to mention, the car is ready for me to take delivery. So, they basically have either known that the module was changing this whole time, or are so incompetent that they actually didn't know. It was posted on this board probably a month ago that the module was changing. When i ordered the car, i told them that the Sirius satelite radio and the sport package were the two most important things.

By the way scarabeo, don't tell me to not throw a hissy fit. If i am paying 45,000 for a car, I expect them to correct their mistakes ASAP. It seems like they werent even on top of this problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2006, 06:59 AM   #4
dbstang
My Car is a HYBRID! It burns gas and rubber.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330I  [0.00]
Dude, when your Post reads need advice dont slam a guy for giving you advice you don't want to hear. We all know how much these cars cost we all got one. We all expect good service.

Anyway I assume you have been waiting for a few months for your car. Since you have already waited this long don't sweat another 30 days for the Sat. If you did order it and they did screw up talk them into giving you something for your inconvienece. Most good dealers will do this. Just don't go overboard and ask for the world. Be reasonable.

P.S. Take delivery of the car you won't be dissapointed.
      05-23-2006, 09:00 AM   #5
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Sure, it's sucks. But they screwed up the Sat Radio, no the engine, transmission, sports package, etc.

It' sucks, but it's minor.

Don't sweat the small stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2006, 11:45 AM   #6
USAF BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbstang
If you did order it and they did screw up talk them into giving you something for your inconvienece. Most good dealers will do this. Just don't go overboard and ask for the world. Be reasonable.

P.S. Take delivery of the car you won't be dissapointed.
This is the kind of advice i am looking for. By the way, slamming me doesn't do any good, or answer my question. That is what i was trying to get across with my last post. It is irrelant and wastes everybody's time when they read it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2006, 11:54 AM   #7
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Seems pretty simple to me, if you ordered and paid for sat radio and they only gave you the prep, then as soon as the part is available they should install it for you at no extra charge. If you ordered it but didn't pay for it maybe you should have checked the order a bit better, but you can just pay for it now, since you got the prep. I checked my dealers order sheet both when I ordered and when production was scheduled to make sure every option was correct. I got a letter from BMW confirming my order with my options listed and I had my CA e-mail me a copy of my order off the dealer's order system.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2006, 12:39 PM   #8
USAF BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I caught it the day after i ordered it. They are paying for it to be installed. It is just now they didn't plan ahead and the part is backordered.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2006, 12:59 PM   #9
Rats13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Ok here's my advice. It depends on how pissed you are versus how long you are willing to wait for another car. If you feel jacked around so much :mad: then walk away from the deal, get your deposit back and re-order from another dealer making sure everything is 100% correct.

If you are tired of waiting then work with the dealer to fix the Sat radio issues and suck it up and take the floor mats on delivery. You are gonna want them for your car. You aren't gonna get them free anywhere after you buy your car and aftermarkets never look as nice IMO.

If you are somewhere in between try to leverage their mistakes into like you said free Ipod intergration or at a minumum free mats. Tell them you feel like walking away from the deal cuz you are so unhappy. Just be prepared to do so if the balk.

My 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2006, 01:02 PM   #10
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF BMW
I caught it the day after i ordered it. They are paying for it to be installed. It is just now they didn't plan ahead and the part is backordered.
I guess personally, I'd just live with a little wait and listen to CD's or something in the mean time. Maybe a little "gift" or something would be a nice gesture from the dealership but I wouldn't sweat it if they didn't.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2006, 01:14 PM   #11
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Entwicklung 90 - 325 Xi

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
Sat

I agree with the above statements. BTW, if you spend any appreciable time in your car, SAT radio rocks. Even though I use my iPOD through the accessory port and listen to mp3 CD's (It's pretty awesome to have like 150 songs on one CD) Satellite radio is definitely worth it for me. I think if they said they couldn't get the radio for you you could leverage them, but if it's just a delay, then there's less one could get. You can't really leverage factory options, because the order is in. Your best bet is to "forgive them" for your inconvenience if they were to install the iPOD integration for you either gratis or at a significant discount. I'm surprised that you have to pay for the mats.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2006, 01:41 PM   #12
Scarabeo
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

This has got to be about the whiniest thread I have ever read...good lord....
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2006, 05:40 PM   #13
USAF BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

dont read it then
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2006, 05:52 PM   #14
LarryK1000
Larry from Los Angeles
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Howdi USAF:

First, you know we were on the same ship. I ordered the Sirius radio too.

As far as money is concerned, when we ordered Sirius from the factory, we did NOT have to also by Sat Prep. So, first, they should knock off the $75(I think) that Sat Prep cost. Second, you're damn right, they definitely should not charge for installation of the Sirius unit -- just the same $595 the factory installed unit would have cost.

Second, I paid $985 over Invoice and my dealer, Bob Smith, is paying for the floor mats and a full tank of gas. That is BS that they want to charge you for mats. I have never bought a BMW or Mercedes where they did not throw in the floor mats. So, insist on free mats.

Third, we all get one free year of Sirius. Your year won't start until they put in the Sirius module and activate it. So, no money loss here. But, you have had to do without the satellite for the time before they can get you the module. Since the iPod connector unit is pretty expensive, don't count on them giving it to you.

But, they should give you some accommodation for having to wait. Only seems fair to me.

And, last point, did THEY tell you or did YOU hear from BMW in Germany that you could not add Sirius to your order. I wouldn't doubt that your salesperson screwed up and didn't try to contact them in time. Just my opinion.

But, USAF, enjoy the car. The Sirius will arrive in time. Don't let it leave a bad taste in your mouth from the beginning. Remember, car salespeople aren't brain surgeons, so you have to consider that and feel sorry for less capable people. It just sucks when you were expecting everything to be so perfect on the car.

Enjoy the car. Let us see some pix in the CALIFORNIA BOUND CARS thread.

Larry

P.S. Hey, I was thinking of something you could ask them to do for you:

Have them give you an extra year subscription to Sirius FREE....

L
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2006, 10:43 PM   #15
Scarabeo
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

"But, USAF, enjoy the car. The Sirius will arrive in time. Don't let it leave a bad taste in your mouth from the beginning. Remember, car salespeople aren't brain surgeons, so you have to consider that and feel sorry for less capable people. It just sucks when you were expecting everything to be so perfect on the car".

Excuse me, less capable people? I am going to rename this thread the "nickel and dime thread", or how "I am going to throw a temper tantrum because I did not get my way".....
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 05:54 AM   #16
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I had to wait about 6 weeks for my Sirius radio because they weren't available yet. I lived. You'll live. If they are installing it free of charge then that is all you can ask of them. Don't let it spoil your enjoyment.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 08:12 AM   #17
USAF BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Led,
This thread isn't about the fact that I cant wait. I know i can wait. I started this thread to get advice on how to proceed with the dealership because my car is ready for me to pick it up, yet it isn't in the configuration i ordered. The day after i ordered it they told me that "It was too late int the production process to add the radio" but that they would install it as soon as it showed up at the dealership. Now it is backordered for a month, but i didn't hear anything about it being backordered until after the second call to tell me it is ready for delivery.

Basically i started this thread to see what everyone thinks i should ask for for my inconvenience and their string of errors.

By the way, i think i am going to ask them to ship it for free to my current location in Colorado so i dont have to fly down there and drive it back up.

Thanks for the help all!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 08:54 AM   #18
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Not sure what advice to give... the "compensation" for your inconvinience should be commensurate with the degree of that inconvinience. They made a mistake in not getting the Sirius installation on the factory order, so they should install for you at no charge and no mark up on parts (in other words, for the exact same price as the factory option). The part being backordered is no more their fault than yours, and while I do understand why you would be annoyed, you can't expect much more from them in the way of compensation. Ask them to throw in floor mats, or valve stem caps or something... or a sun shade, etc.

If they are a good dealership and value you as a customer then they will want to make a gesture. As far as transporting your car to another location?? How far away is your dealer that you have to fly to it?? That would be a considerable expense for them, and is inappropriate.

Just my $.02

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 09:13 AM   #19
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Why did you buy in Colorado if you are in Pheonix???

I'm confused...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 12:48 PM   #20
Rats13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF BMW
Led,
The day after i ordered it they told me that "It was too late int the production process to add the radio" but that they would install it as soon as it showed up at the dealership.
Wow the day after??? I find that hard to believe. You should have cancelled and re-ordered on the spot. You would have only lost a day
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 03:08 PM   #21
USAF BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I am from phoenix but up in colorado working for the summer. It came in after i had come up here so i have to fly back down to drive it back or have it transported up here. It only costs 375 to have it transported.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 03:45 PM   #22
brian32e
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Alpine White 330i ZSP

I doubt they'll throw in anything more than just the SAT install. I would think they could acquire the equipment from another dealer or something -- they can trade cars and things like that.

But anyway, just chill out. There are much worse things (car showing up with the wrong interior trim) that can happen, and if you feel strongly enough about the SAT radio then walk away from the deal. If you aren't willing to walk away you really don't have much ground to stand on because you're going to buy the car from them regardless of what they do.
Appreciate 0