BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-04-2016, 01:54 AM   #1
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM

Garage List
Need some help figuring out what this sound is from

Thanks, for the help!

The sound is coming from the front passenger side, I'm guessing its dampers?

https://youtu.be/uem34E75eVY
| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 03:58 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Sounds like the spring to me. Where it sits inside the shock perch.

Did you just have some suspension work done recently?
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #3
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Dackelone, I had m3 control arms put in a couple of months ago. you think that could have caused it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Sounds like the spring to me. Where it sits inside the shock perch.

Did you just have some suspension work done recently?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 12:56 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by litebulb View Post
Thanks Dackelone, I had m3 control arms put in a couple of months ago. you think that could have caused it?
Yes it could.

It could also be from an improperly torqued suspension link/bit. The alu bolts are a one time use. But more importantly is that the suspension bits should be torqued down WHILE the car is resting on the ground. IF your shop did the install on a lift - this could be your problem.

Did you also change springs or shocks? There are rubber pads which the springs sit on... perhaps they left off those pads. You could always squirt some WD40 where the spring coil meets the perch... and see IF the sound goes away. Perhaps having an assistant help rocking the car while you listen around the springs would help pin point the area.

Dackel
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2016, 12:51 AM   #5
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
They didn't touch the springs or shocks. I took a better peek at it just now and it could be the bushings/bearings on the control arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Yes it could.

It could also be from an improperly torqued suspension link/bit. The alu bolts are a one time use. But more importantly is that the suspension bits should be torqued down WHILE the car is resting on the ground. IF your shop did the install on a lift - this could be your problem.

Did you also change springs or shocks? There are rubber pads which the springs sit on... perhaps they left off those pads. You could always squirt some WD40 where the spring coil meets the perch... and see IF the sound goes away. Perhaps having an assistant help rocking the car while you listen around the springs would help pin point the area.

Dackel
| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10588.50
      08-12-2016, 03:41 AM   #6
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Update:
Two indies heard it and says it's 100% the sway bar bushings. I called H&R and they say it can't be the bushings due to their special construction (teflon, yada..) and it is most likely the end links. I'm wondering since I changed to M3 control arms, do you think I would need to upgrade the sway bar bushing bracket to the M3 version?

Does anyone have a similar setup with M3 arms and upgraded sway? I'm wondering if I should switch back to the stock sway.

Thanks for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 03:49 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by litebulb View Post
Update:
Two indies heard it and says it's 100% the sway bar bushings. I called H&R and they say it can't be the bushings due to their special construction (teflon, yada..) and it is most likely the end links. I'm wondering since I changed to M3 control arms, do you think I would need to upgrade the sway bar bushing bracket to the M3 version?

Does anyone have a similar setup with M3 arms and upgraded sway? I'm wondering if I should switch back to the stock sway.

Thanks for the advice.
Disconnect the sway bar end link(only one side) and see IF the noise is still there. The links do go bad as do the sway bar bushings.
Appreciate 1