BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

bluetooth question

I have a 2008 135 with ipod/usb connection and bluetooth for calls. I have an iphone, my question is, am I able to alter the software to allow me to play music over the bluetooth rather than having to plug it in every time? or do I need to buy an additional component? thanks before hand
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 04:07 AM   #2
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

have same question also sms etc...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 06:56 AM   #3
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Answers are in this thread:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...treaming+music

It looks like a 2008 probably does not have this capability and certainly doesn't without iDrive. But for a few dollars, you can buy an aftermarket device that will let you do it.

Jim
      04-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep

I have idrive and nav, from what I have read, I should just be able to "check" music streaming in the bluetooth settings, but I don't even have the option. It only has the phone option. There is obviously no hardware limitations, only the software limitations BMW stupidly implemented. So is there a way I can alter the software with a flash? or other options? I would like to go through the system rather than buying an aftermarket attachment.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I saw where 1 series owners with later models said they have the capability but not where somebody with a 2008 said their car would stream audio. I wouldn't assume that if a 2011 professional head unit will stream a 2008 will.

Have you checked your owners manual? If you car will do this, it should be mentioned in the manual. If you do not have the manual, you can download it (for free) from BMW NA. They have prior years manual.

I also checked to see if anybody on the B M W c o d i n g website reported success in enabling this and couldn't find anything useful.

If you are an experienced coder I can see what you would ask about this before paying $60 for a hardware solution but if you aren't, the $60 could be your best option even if it possible to code this - and my guess is it is not. Unless you use the accessory outlet under the arm rest for something, plugging a device into that and the aux port seems like a slick option.

Jim
      04-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I saw where 1 series owners with later models said they have the capability but not where somebody with a 2008 said their car would stream audio. I wouldn't assume that if a 2011 professional head unit will stream a 2008 will.

Have you checked your owners manual? If you car will do this, it should be mentioned in the manual. If you do not have the manual, you can download it (for free) from BMW NA. They have prior years manual.

I also checked to see if anybody on the B M W c o d i n g website reported success in enabling this and couldn't find anything useful.

If you are an experienced coder I can see what you would ask about this before paying $60 for a hardware solution but if you aren't, the $60 could be your best option even if it possible to code this - and my guess is it is not. Unless you use the accessory outlet under the arm rest for something, plugging a device into that and the aux port seems like a slick option.

Jim
Thanks for the info,I have some experience in coding and my roommate is a CS major. The hardware supports bluetooth 2.1, meaning it is feasible to stream audio and data over bluetooth. I believe BMW hadn't integrated the firmware until the 2011 models, but it should be possible to accomplish. I'll look deeper into it and post if I figure something out.
Appreciate 0