BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-08-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128

How do you know if your blacklines are defective?

I've posted on the DIY section but would want to know anybody who had experience on this.

Edit: researched and these blacklines DON'T work for LCI Halogen 128 cars.

Last edited by $iriu$black; 06-09-2015 at 07:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 12:45 AM   #2
Marc08EX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

You say that your rear tail lights LED bars don't light up. Is your LCI 128i the halogen version?
2011 135i 6MT | Alpine White | Terracotta Boston Leather | M-Sport | BMW Performance Exhaust Resonator Delete | Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust | BMW Performance Suspension | Blackline LCI Taillights | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | CF Rear Diffuser | PPK | E92 M3 FSB | Matte Black Kidney Grilles | VMR V710 Jet Anthracite | Michelin PSS | BMW SS Pedals
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 05:29 AM   #3
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
You say that your rear tail lights LED bars don't light up. Is your LCI 128i the halogen version?
Yes, I did research further and it's not defective, it's just not going to work for my car. Sadly. Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 08:07 AM   #4
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by $iriu$black View Post
Yes, I did research further and it's not defective, it's just not going to work for my car. Sadly. Thanks for the input.
If you look on Schmeidman they have the LCI blacklines for halogen cars. there are also DIY's on how to modify LCI xenon Tail lights to work on your Halogen 1er.
      06-09-2015, 09:26 AM   #5
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexResistance View Post
If you look on Schmeidman they have the LCI blacklines for halogen cars. there are also DIY's on how to modify LCI xenon Tail lights to work on your Halogen 1er.
So does that mean that the ones that I have now are the WRONG ones? I should have gotten the LCI blacklines (I think its P/N ends on 381?) for halogen cars and the LED strip would work as it should on Xenon cars? But the thing is, I have a 2012 128, tails that came from factory are "phony" Blacklines, with the LED strip not lighting up at all. Is this the one that you mean?

I did research the DIY and it's just too much rewiring and even painting the bulbs. Tbh, it's just too damn complicated.

I got the ones ending in 282 btw.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 09:38 AM   #6
Marc08EX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by $iriu$black View Post
So does that mean that the ones that I have now are the WRONG ones? I should have gotten the LCI blacklines (I think its P/N ends on 381?) for halogen cars and the LED strip would work as it should on Xenon cars? But the thing is, I have a 2012 128, tails that came from factory are "phony" Blacklines, with the LED strip not lighting up at all. Is this the one that you mean?

I did research the DIY and it's just too much rewiring and even painting the bulbs. Tbh, it's just too damn complicated.

I got the ones ending in 282 btw.
The halogen version of the blacklines (P/N that ends 381) are for halogen equipped cars and their LED bars don't light up at all like your stock ones do. If you just want the look of the blacklines and want the same functionality as your stock tails (halogen equipped), then this is the right part to buy. But if you want the LED bars to light up, you need to buy the P/N that ends in 282 but this is only for xenon equipped vehicles (both xenon and halogen for pre-LCI cars).

Like you've seen, you can make the LED bars light up but it's a lot of wiring necessary. This is the only way to make your halogen equipped LCI vehicle make those LED light bars light up the way they should. Or maybe coding can make it light up?
2011 135i 6MT | Alpine White | Terracotta Boston Leather | M-Sport | BMW Performance Exhaust Resonator Delete | Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust | BMW Performance Suspension | Blackline LCI Taillights | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | CF Rear Diffuser | PPK | E92 M3 FSB | Matte Black Kidney Grilles | VMR V710 Jet Anthracite | Michelin PSS | BMW SS Pedals
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 09:44 AM   #7
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
The halogen version of the blacklines (P/N that ends 381) are for halogen equipped cars and their LED bars don't light up at all like your stock ones do. If you just want the look of the blacklines and want the same functionality as your stock tails (halogen equipped), then this is the right part to buy. But if you want the LED bars to light up, you need to buy the P/N that ends in 282 but this is only for xenon equipped vehicles (both xenon and halogen for pre-LCI cars).

Like you've seen, you can make the LED bars light up but it's a lot of wiring necessary. This is the only way to make your halogen equipped LCI vehicle make those LED light bars light up the way they should. Or maybe coding can make it light up?
This is what I thought... I don't know, does anybody know how to code this to work at all? So I just spent money to get the same taillights basically. Man... After all that waiting and paying extra due to customs...

But that's baffling, being an LCI car, it should at least be backwards-compatible right?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 02:00 AM   #8
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
There is a different lighting control module for Xenon/AHL optioned cars. The mod can be done, and from my knowledge the only way to get them to work on a Halogen car. Or just retro fit and code the Xenon/AHL complete system. your choice.
      06-11-2015, 05:26 AM   #9
Chandon
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M

This has been extensively discussed before.
They can work for your car - you just need to tap a wire from the licence plate lights to the wire that is missing in the tail light.

ALL pre-lci cars were equipped with LED running lights for the tail lights, but the LCI models with HALOGEN headlights were not equipped with LED running lights, this is the reason why your blacklines are not functioning correctly. Pre-LCI/Xenon tail lights have 3 wires (brake lights, indicator, LED running light), LCI halogen tail lights have 2 wires (missing the LED running light wire).

But like I have said, the fix is extremely simple and literally takes 15 minutes.
THEY DO WORK, I've done it myself and many others have also done it..
Appreciate 0