BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-19-2015, 05:46 PM   #1
1Hokie
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 328i, 10 z4 35i

Garage List
So the cover was slightly loose and some water got in there on the driver side headlight. Getting the adaptive headlight error and high low beams don't work. Angels still work and parking lights. What should I try first? I plan to swap d1s bulbs to see if bulb is an issue but adaptive piece is pointing straight left so definitely at least that part. Will I need a whole new headlight?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 02:15 AM   #2
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hokie
So the cover was slightly loose and some water got in there on the driver side headlight. Getting the adaptive headlight error and high low beams don't work. Angels still work and parking lights. What should I try first? I plan to swap d1s bulbs to see if bulb is an issue but adaptive piece is pointing straight left so definitely at least that part. Will I need a whole new headlight?
Use the search function, there is an active thread on this farther down on the same page...

Chances are you've fried your ballasts. There are many threads on this but you're looking at a pretty expensive fix

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 06:51 AM   #3
1Hokie
Banned
Rep

Garage List
yeah, i was on the road when the error popped so i was posting on mobile. i see the other thread. i actually ended up leaving the cover loose to air it out and hope to dry it, and the headlight re-aligned itself and no longer gives the code but the bulb is still out, so im hoping i can just replace the bulb and be done with it
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 10:24 PM   #4
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
yeah, i was on the road when the error popped so i was posting on mobile. i see the other thread. i actually ended up leaving the cover loose to air it out and hope to dry it, and the headlight re-aligned itself and no longer gives the code but the bulb is still out, so im hoping i can just replace the bulb and be done with it
If it's just the bulb, you sir are one lucky SOB haha. Hopefully that's all the problem is. If not, you'll need to pull the headlight to replace the ballast.

You can reference a DIY titled "European headlight swap" or something similar, googling that should pull it up. If you're at all handy it shouldn't be any trouble for ya. Good luck!

Appreciate 1
      06-21-2015, 05:53 PM   #5
1Hokie
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AddictsAnonymous
Quote:
If it's just the bulb, you sir are one lucky SOB haha. Hopefully that's all the problem is. If not, you'll need to pull the headlight to replace the ballast.

You can reference a DIY titled "European headlight swap" or something similar, googling that should pull it up. If you're at all handy it shouldn't be any trouble for ya. Good luck!
Yup ballasts dead it seems. Ordered a new one for $83 so hopefully that'll be it. At least I know how to get to the ballasts easily without taking the entire headlight off which I already did to dry out all the moisture
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 02:27 AM   #6
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AddictsAnonymous
Quote:

Yup ballasts dead it seems. Ordered a new one for $83 so hopefully that'll be it. At least I know how to get to the ballasts easily without taking the entire headlight off which I already did to dry out all the moisture
How were you able to do that? When I installed my LCI headlights and swapped the ballasts across I remember thinking how impossible it would be without removing them lol.

That's a great price by the way. The dealer sells them for something like 4-500 if I remember right. Sorry to hear about the ballasts though. If your seals are dried up it's worth lubing them with a spray silicone and/or buying new covers (includes seals, only way to get them as far as I know) to replace any worn/leaky ones.

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 07:21 AM   #7
1Hokie
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AddictsAnonymous View Post
How were you able to do that? When I installed my LCI headlights and swapped the ballasts across I remember thinking how impossible it would be without removing them lol.

That's a great price by the way. The dealer sells them for something like 4-500 if I remember right. Sorry to hear about the ballasts though. If your seals are dried up it's worth lubing them with a spray silicone and/or buying new covers (includes seals, only way to get them as far as I know) to replace any worn/leaky ones.
Removing the entire wheel well plastic, its as tight fit to get to some of the screws, but at least on mine, I could at least see the ballast unit from that angle and feel all the screws...

Also, I hopped in my car last night and... my headlight turned on !!! i dried up a bunch of water this weekend and it didn't work, so thought the ballast was fried... then i guess whatever moisture was left in there dried up and now i dont need the ballast!!
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2015, 10:56 AM   #8
maniac33
Private
Rep
Drives: AW 08 135i

To be honest with you, it'll probably die again. Both my headlights did the same thing. They went out for a day, came back, then went back out and stayed out. I replaced the adaptive module and ballasts on both headlights twice. So if you need any help let me know, it looks like I am somewhat local and can help if need be!

Either way, hope it works out best for you and the bulbs do stay on!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 12:22 PM   #9
1Hokie
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac33 View Post
To be honest with you, it'll probably die again. Both my headlights did the same thing. They went out for a day, came back, then went back out and stayed out. I replaced the adaptive module and ballasts on both headlights twice. So if you need any help let me know, it looks like I am somewhat local and can help if need be!

Either way, hope it works out best for you and the bulbs do stay on!
I do have a replacement ballast sitting on hand just in case... Just yesterday the adaptive error popped up then went away, so I imagine its a matter of time before that dies for good. I did a quick search and couldn't find any vendors that had e88 listed specifically... where did you pick yours up at?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #10
maniac33
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hokie View Post
I do have a replacement ballast sitting on hand just in case... Just yesterday the adaptive error popped up then went away, so I imagine its a matter of time before that dies for good. I did a quick search and couldn't find any vendors that had e88 listed specifically... where did you pick yours up at?
I purchased ballasts from ebay, that was by far the cheapest place for them. As for the adaptive module I got them from ECS tuning. Mine were for a E82, But i believe they should be the same:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/63117180829/ES172035/
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 01:32 PM   #11
1Hokie
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I purchased ballasts from ebay, that was by far the cheapest place for them. As for the adaptive module I got them from ECS tuning. Mine were for a E82, But i believe they should be the same:
thats just the housing unit?

wouldnt it be more along the lines of this http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E88-128...ghts/ES172034/
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 01:34 PM   #12
maniac33
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
thats just the housing unit?

wouldnt it be more along the lines of this http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E88-128...ghts/ES172034/
Actually no, hah. What you linked is the ballast for the bulb. What I linked was the adaptive module, there's actually a sensor in there, but you're technically correct as the ballast does sit in the module that acts as a housing. That's why both the ballast and the module usually go at the same time
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2015, 01:41 PM   #13
1Hokie
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Actually no, hah. What you linked is the ballast for the bulb. What I linked was the adaptive module, there's actually a sensor in there, but you're technically correct as the ballast does sit in the module that acts as a housing. That's why both the ballast and the module usually go at the same time
ah the angle made it look like it was different than the ballast i already ordered. didnt know there was a chip in that housing piece, thanks for that info! ill hold onto buying it until the error doesnt disappear on its own for a period of time, way too many expenses on hand at the moment
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 01:53 PM   #14
maniac33
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
ah the angle made it look like it was different than the ballast i already ordered. didnt know there was a chip in that housing piece, thanks for that info! ill hold onto buying it until the error doesnt disappear on its own for a period of time, way too many expenses on hand at the moment
Definitely, happy to help! I've experienced it first hand so any help I can contribute I'm willing. Like I said if you run into any issues let me know!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 03:47 PM   #15
maniac33
Private
Rep

Quote:
Also, something to keep in mind if you buy a new Adaptive module you will have to have it coded to your car for it to work! If you have a local coder they should be able to do this process in about 15 min.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 10:52 AM   #16
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Some great info above!

Also keep in mind which item does what; the ballast within the headlight controls the adaptive functions, ie up/down and left/right for the headlights.

The 'chip' in the underside (reminded me of a game boy from younger years lol) is what controls the xenon lights. So if your lights go but they still are adaptive (looking left/right) it's the chip, vice versa, etc

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 12:39 PM   #17
1Hokie
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Some great info above!

Also keep in mind which item does what; the ballast within the headlight controls the adaptive functions, ie up/down and left/right for the headlights.

The 'chip' in the underside (reminded me of a game boy from younger years lol) is what controls the xenon lights. So if your lights go but they still are adaptive (looking left/right) it's the chip, vice versa, etc
definitely some good info here! I thought it was the other way around.... ballast controls the xenon lamp being on/off... while the other unit controls the adaptive features (horrizontal/vertical). I am pretty sure of that actually, since the when the adaptive headlight error pops, the black casing (gameboy look-alike) needs to be replaced since there's a chip in that.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 06:28 PM   #18
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Some great info above!

definitely some good info here! I thought it was the other way around.... ballast controls the xenon lamp being on/off... while the other unit controls the adaptive features (horrizontal/vertical). I am pretty sure of that actually, since the when the adaptive headlight error pops, the black casing (gameboy look-alike) needs to be replaced since there's a chip in that.
Could be. I'm just going off my experience from swapping headlights to LCIs.

I had the chip in the bottom and everything worked except the adaptive functions (kept getting the ADH error until I unscrewed the bottom and swapped that unit over)

Maybe that was because I didn't have both in though, or maybe I'm mis remembering

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 09:25 AM   #19
maniac33
Private
Rep

Quote:
1Hokie, You are correct. the only thing that the ballasts do are ignite and turn off the headlights. The adaptive headlight module (black-gameboy chip thingymajig) controls all of the adaptive features (vertical/horizontal). It recieves signals from the steering wheel for left and right and from the sensor on the front driver control arm (I believe) for the up and down leveling.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 11:23 AM   #20
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac33
Quote:
1Hokie, You are correct. the only thing that the ballasts do are ignite and turn off the headlights. The adaptive headlight module (black-gameboy chip thingymajig) controls all of the adaptive features (vertical/horizontal). It recieves signals from the steering wheel for left and right and from the sensor on the front driver control arm (I believe) for the up and down leveling.
With this being the case, do you know why an adaptive headlight error would come up with just the adaptive module installed?

Does the headlight ballast bridge the connection further or something perhaps?

Just curious.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #21
1Hokie
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
With this being the case, do you know why an adaptive headlight error would come up with just the adaptive module installed?

Does the headlight ballast bridge the connection further or something perhaps?

Just curious.
if the black module has a bad chip, then the error would pop up. i have 2 different errors at 2 different times. if you install a bad ballast and adaptive mod, it will give you both errors

i would not expect to see an adaptive error even if you dont have a ballast plugged in at all. maybe you got a bad adaptive module
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 01:03 PM   #22
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
if the black module has a bad chip, then the error would pop up. i have 2 different errors at 2 different times. if you install a bad ballast and adaptive mod, it will give you both errors

i would not expect to see an adaptive error even if you dont have a ballast plugged in at all. maybe you got a bad adaptive module
Might have been a fluke or something. All modules/ballasts work fine. Once I installed this (see below) and plugged in the harness everything worked fine. Until I did this though I got the ADH error.

Appreciate 0