BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
N54Fiend
Professional idiot
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is

Thumbs down Major issues with my car.. Dealer doesn't care.

GREAT... JUST NOTICED I CLICKED ON WRONG SECTION.. sorry guys, Ill repost it in 135i.

First post! Wooooooohoooo

I've been stalking you guys on here for a while and its time for me to chime in.

Anyways, this is a very long story, but I'll try my best not to make it a book.

It all started when I first bought my 2008 135i From carmax. It had 45,500 miles and drove like the wind. I was no stranger to the N54 platform because my best friend had a 335i with all bolt-ons and (Jb3 at the time).

So, first day I pull off the lot and as Im pulling on the highway I decide to see what shes got. About 3 seconds into the pull, the reduced engine power light comes on. So I turn right back around and go to carmax. No less than 20 minutes from when I bought the car, carmax tells me to take it to BMW because they wont fix it. So now I have to take it to the stealership. I finally get around to taking it a few days later (to my local dealer Lauderdale BMW of Pembroke Pines) and they replace the front and rear VANOS sensors and all is well again.

My next trip is about a week later to my not so local dealer (Braman BMW of Jupiter) which is about 70 miles away to get my Dinan stage II tune. It takes them about 4 hours to load the tune, but when they finally get done its awesome. This car is a beast. Ive heard that some cars take better to the Dinan tunes than other and I believe mine took it very well.

All Is well until one day when I am on the highway and the reduced engine power light comes on (Orange) I was on my way to pick up some papers from work, so I did that then made a quick stop at the dealer so that they could read the code. The problem was that when I shut my car off at work the code went away and wasn't there when I turned it back on. Luckily when I got back on the road it came back on. Then I get to the dealer and say the light is on now but if you shut the car off itll go away. So the SA gets in the car, shuts it off, puts the key in, turns it back on then drives it into the shop. Needless to say he came back 10 minuets later and said "I read the codes on your car and found nothing" so off I went. This incident I chalked up to bad gas.

Then I take my car in for its 50,000 mile service. The car has 50,100 Miles on it and what does my dealer say... Your Wastegates are going bad and you'll need to replace them "This clicking noise is actually worse than I've ever heard on any car" said my service manager. The thing is that I had been hearing this clicking noise on deceleration since I bought the car, so I always just figured it was normal. So when does the dealer tell me about this issue they've known about all this time? 100 miles after my "warranty" is over. So I call BMW NA and make a complaint. 3 days later I get a call back and they tell me they cant help me. So now Im on my own. I actually called Dinan and spoke to the warranty man, Dan. Great guy Dinan has there. He offered his help to go at bat for me with BMW and try to make some progress. Hes kept me up to date, but I dont want to hound him because hes doing his best. Hes had no luck so far. However, he did tell me that the warranty on the wastegates is in the emissions system which is if I remember correctly 8 year 82,000 Miles. So back to the dealer I go.. Armed with the document for the class action suit that extended the warranty on the wastegates I spoke with the guys at Pembroke Pines BMW. Again, No luck. They dont care.

Fast forwarding about two months, Now occasionally my car will show the reduced engine power light when accelerating and feels like its not building boost. But right after turning the car off and on it goes away. The issue is that Im always doing something when this happens, so I cant leave my car on until I get to the dealer. Ive taken pictures of some of the reduced power lights that have come up.

Today on my way to work, I have to accelerate because of a sticky situation I was in during traffic. I was rolling at about 40 mph and I hit the gas hard enough to just hit the threshold and make the car downshift, but instead the car shook all over the place. The orange service engine soon light came on and any time i touched the gas the car would vibrate and shake. So I immediately took a picture of the dash. As I was checking to make sure the picture wasnt blurry I look back up, and the light is gone. The cars driving normally. Im just at a loss for what I should do.

I was thinking take the trip into Braman BMW Jupiter and give them a shot at things. Ive given up on pembroke pines.. Any opinions?

Thanks in advance,
Adam
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Has your car had the recall for the high-pressure fuel pump fix yet? That's what this sounds like, and the pump is warranted out to over 100,000 miles. I'd bring that up to them and see what happens.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
N54Fiend
Professional idiot
Rep

Thanks for your input. Yup, Ive had 3 pumps on my car so far. I think they might have replaced it to the newest model when they did the vanos. But ill bring it up to them the next time I go in..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Has your car had the recall for the high-pressure fuel pump fix yet? That's what this sounds like, and the pump is warranted out to over 100,000 miles. I'd bring that up to them and see what happens.
my 335 has had the same problems and it was the high-presssure fuel pump everytime it's an '08 alsoi feel your pain
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
N54Fiend
Professional idiot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta' D View Post
my 335 has had the same problems and it was the high-presssure fuel pump everytime it's an '08 alsoi feel your pain
Well Ill have them check it out. I hope its not that though because I want them to replace my turbos! I hope the wastegates are just failing to the point where they cant seal and thats throwing the code
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
s2pidfda
Henry
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 m2 longbeach blue

I have a 2010 535 GT in HK, and the same thing happened too last NOV, reduced engine light kept coming on when i try to accelerate more and the turbo sounded super weird when it was sucking air, the car just suddenly died in the middle of the road right after i got the car back from service for that similar issue. They said that there was something wrong with the cam. not too reliable..better to go with NA
128i Coupe 6MT | BMW Performance Exhaust + Short Shifter | KW V3 Coil-Over | CF Roof Wrap | CF Pedals | Matte Black Grills | CF Trunk Spoiler | HID Angel Eyes | 20%Tint | Plastidipped OEM Rims + Spacers | Badge Delete | Goodrich Brakelines | HP+ | Motul RBF 600

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

It seems like every time I have the slightest thought that the power of the 135i might be nice, I see a thread like this.
      06-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe, 3 318Ti

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
Sorry to hear your troubles.. but then again more data for the 'do you have any regrets buying a 128"... 'no'
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #9
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
^ Think whatever you like, but I have both a 335i and a 128i, and although I had the HPFP fix done on my 335i, that's the only problem I had, and it was quickly rectified. This is one poster's car, not every single N54-engined 135i, and it's not typical. But I can say that there is a HUGE difference in power between the N54 and N52 - the 128i is a nicely-balanced car with more than adequate power; the 135i is a high-performance car with a lot of tuning potential. As with any performance car, there is more complexity involved, and the OP's situation is not typical by any means - it sounds like more of a dealer problem than anything else. His car's "pedigree" isn't really known, as it was purchased from CarMax, and I've heard nothing but horror stories from friends and acquaintances who have bought performance cars from that organization.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
It seems like every time I have the slightest thought that the power of the 135i might be nice, I see a thread like this.
It's funny; I was having the exact same thought while reading this thread. I was on my way home last nite when a 350Z came up alongside and revved. When the light changed I just drove normally because I knew I'd be left in the dust. So I come home last night, just for fun, to look at the 'Cars for Sale' section, looking at all the 135i's coming off warranty for the same price I paid for my CPO 128i. Then, this thread pops up and I read all this... like you said.

Someone somewhere is keeping me safe. Every time I think about getting back into flying there's a crash at the airport up the road. It has happened twice; one the remains were in the farm behind our house.

I guess, for me, 135's are like babies - I'd love to cuddle up to yours, but once the diaper is full I want to hand him back...
      06-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
N54Fiend
Professional idiot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkdog View Post
It's funny; I was having the exact same thought while reading this thread. I was on my way home last nite when a 350Z came up alongside and revved. When the light changed I just drove normally because I knew I'd be left in the dust. So I come home last night, just for fun, to look at the 'Cars for Sale' section, looking at all the 135i's coming off warranty for the same price I paid for my CPO 128i. Then, this thread pops up and I read all this... like you said.

Someone somewhere is keeping me safe. Every time I think about getting back into flying there's a crash at the airport up the road. It has happened twice; one the remains were in the farm behind our house.

I guess, for me, 135's are like babies - I'd love to cuddle up to yours, but once the diaper is full I want to hand him back...
I understand what your saying on this.. But I have to disagree. For us "performance enthusiasts" the 128i is simply not acceptable as far as power goes. And the 135i is a GREAT car. Mine would be perfect if it weren't for the dealership screwing me around. After all, it is covered under warranty.

Having said that, BMW NA has also refused my fix under warranty, so if you do have an issue with the 128i (given yes... its less likely) your just as screwed as I am with NA being incompetent.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #12
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinanE82 View Post
I understand what your saying on this.. But I have to disagree. For us "performance enthusiasts" the 128i is simply not acceptable as far as power goes. And the 135i is a GREAT car. Mine would be perfect if it weren't for the dealership screwing me around. After all, it is covered under warranty.

Having said that, BMW NA has also refused my fix under warranty, so if you do have an issue with the 128i (given yes... its less likely) your just as screwed as I am with NA being incompetent.
I think there are several levels of 'performance enthusiast' - what is important to you is not important to me, and vice versa, and that's OK. I agree - the 135 is a great car and its perceived imperfection is just a requirement for additional maintenance for all those extra ponies. Everything fails sooner or later, and things with moving parts that convert large amounts of energy tend to fail sooner than others, so there you are.

Plain and simple, I'll bet BMW looks at people who buy cars (and the cars themselves) in a different light if they do not have an exclusive BMW history. Like it's somehow different from the identical CPO they may have on the lot. Like you don't deserve to be treated equally because you did not purchase the car from BMW. Is that possible? Or, if the service manager has been brainwashed (like one I have dealt with) to the point where "any mods detract from the original design and engineering of the car; it was designed that way for a reason" (this was after posing a question about the clutch restrictor).

I have been treated OK, but not great, by the dealer I bought the car from. I can only imagine how it might be in your situation. I hope they sort it out soon, before the stigma defeats the passion.
      06-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #13
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Seeing as my last car had 400hp NA, wrong.

"Performance enthusiasts" quickly realize that straight line acceleration is for cheap thrills, and the true enjoyment comes from the corners.
      06-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #14
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Geez, these 135i guys who think they've got a monopoly on the enthusiast title is getting really old.
      06-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #15
alvitdk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Geez, these 135i guys who think they've got a monopoly on the enthusiast title is getting really old.
Also Drive: 22' Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Waiting for 23' BMW Z4 M40i:
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #16
Riley1524
Captain
Rep
Drives: A Slow Ass BMW

Personally I wouldn't dare buy a BMW with any force induction....I have have 3 friends (2 with 135i's and 1 with a 335i) and all have have major issues with their cars. I also agree with the post above, I have a 600+whp "weekend" car that is boosted and while it's reliable and fun to drive, It's only good in straight line and nothing else...I have made it unpractical because I went over board with the power and thinking about de-tuning it.

The 135i is a good car if you can manage to get one without any problems, but from what I have seen, that's a few and FAR between.. It's really funny to see some of you guys on here think it's the best thing since sliced bread, but I would to I guess if I knew I paid that much for just an ok car lol ..To the OP, I hope you can get things straightened out none-the-less
      06-13-2012, 06:55 AM   #17
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There are quite a few that are under the delusion that they have a M car.
      06-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #18
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvitdk View Post
It's been old since I got here.

But getting a cheep BMW or an expensive one shouldn't matter regarding the dealer's obligation. Buying the car elsewhere? That's the question I believe...
      06-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #19
coda72
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i convertible

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #20
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
See who spends more time shifting on this road and you will find out who the enthusiast is.

Attached Images

06-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #21
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
GREAT... JUST NOTICED I CLICKED ON WRONG SECTION.. sorry guys, Ill repost it in 135i.

Then I take my car in for its 50,000 mile service. The car has 50,100 Miles on it and what does my dealer say... Your Wastegates are going bad and you'll need to replace them "This clicking noise is actually worse than I've ever heard on any car" said my service manager. The thing is that I had been hearing this clicking noise on deceleration since I bought the car, so I always just figured it was normal. So when does the dealer tell me about this issue they've known about all this time? 100 miles after my "warranty" is over. So I call BMW NA and make a complaint. 3 days later I get a call back and they tell me they cant help me. So now Im on my own.
Adam
Unfortunately, this sounds like another BMW maintained in "strict" accordance with the manufacturers recommended maintenance intervals.

Sounds like your first issue is with CARMAX
- A comprehensive inspection should have caught the ticking waste gate. They don’t go bad overnight.

Your second issue is with the dealer who replaced the vanos sensors
- The dealer who replaced the vanos sensors failed to properly diagnose the problem and should have noted the ticking waste gate or stand behind their work.
      06-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #22
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1524 View Post
Personally I wouldn't dare buy a BMW with any force induction....I have have 3 friends (2 with 135i's and 1 with a 335i) and all have have major issues with their cars. I also agree with the post above, I have a 600+whp "weekend" car that is boosted and while it's reliable and fun to drive, It's only good in straight line and nothing else...I have made it unpractical because I went over board with the power and thinking about de-tuning it.

The 135i is a good car if you can manage to get one without any problems, but from what I have seen, that's a few and FAR between.. It's really funny to see some of you guys on here think it's the best thing since sliced bread, but I would to I guess if I knew I paid that much for just an ok car lol ..To the OP, I hope you can get things straightened out none-the-less
It seems as if you are somehow trying to justify the purchase on your 128... lmfao. I am glad you cannot justify the extra expense in having a better car than the 128. After all, the N54 motor, among other FI BMW motors, have received numerous awards and millions of people a day drive turbo BMW's without an issue. The few you see online does not average out the millions out there...

You drive a 600 HP car that is only good in the straight lines... that’s wonderful. Do you also only work on biceps in the gym and not any other muscle group? You kind of have to build the car around the power. not build so much power and now you cant even turn the vehicle. too many people do this and blame the car for only being good in a straight line.

The 135 is an "OK" car.. so that should make the 128 uh...the..."OK BMW on a budget" car?

Get real... stop trying to justify your purchase of a car that is not the same as a 135i and if you think the only difference is the motor than you are either too dense or just couldn’t pony up to have the better car. But... to each their own, right? .... /sarcasm

Last edited by 1911A145; 06-20-2012 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 0