BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-31-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Migs81
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1m VO

Government speed limit survey!!

Allright people, this is our chance to have our say until the 6th of september.

http://tmr.qld.gov.au/SpeedLimitReview
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #2
bmw1mc
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe

no NSW?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 01:30 AM   #3
1BimmerNut
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i then 130i now F20-125

In NT they take away the unlimited speed limits and the d/toll went up.....hang on speed kills doesn't it...I remember driving in my rented BM from Munich to Salzburg at 200 plus - can't figure out how I could have done that and survived.
Imagine NSW doing something like this? What would we do every long weekend when pollies/policeman stare into the camera and declare speed kills ( forget Rd's, drunks, drugs, inappropriate speed for conditions, car condition, boring Hume Hwy at 110, Idiots who can't drive, anyone on the F3 who undertakes, tailgates, chops in, sms's)
Insert <end of rant>HERE

Last edited by 1BimmerNut; 08-01-2013 at 01:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 02:33 AM   #4
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

people don't kill, speed kills

oh wait.....

and what will happen from this survey? 'the results must be wrong, meh'
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #5
Linwe
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 120i E87

I certainly hope the speed limit is raised (because 100-110 is naff on a good stretch of highway but don't shoot me but I don't think it's a good idea to have limitless speeds in Australia on our high traffic roads because unfortunately (and a big unfortunately) the dynamics of our driving culture, cars and society differs from Europe so you can't just point and say it works there so copy and paste.

The speed laws have to cater for every bogan and his dog, every unattentive girl driver, every shitmobile and every shitty patch of road in-between re-laid decent bits of road.

Speed doesn't kill but a whole lot of factors contribute. I just don't think the Aussie culture is 'mature' enough to implement high-speed limits. Of course Germany has hoons but I reckon their brand of hooliganism isn't like the bogan machismo hooliganism here, the roadtoll of idiots would be enormous (though removing themselves from the gene pool is a good idea but the collateral damage and potential loss of life isn't fair).

Our cars span a wide age bracket too, plenty of old rustbuckets on the road. In Europe, a majority of cars are still European with better engineering and better safety - even the old ones. Here we've got a mix of old Aussie-made crap, early Korean tissue boxes and Jap cars that just won't die. If we implemented a decade life rule like Singapore then that would get some of the old cars with next to no safety features off the road (except for vintage collector cars). My very first car was a 1995 E36 BMW which had ABS brakes and dual airbags while my friend's current car a 2002 corolla doesn't even have ABS as standard (not to mention drum brakes). A crash above 40km would be enough to shit my pants.

The conditions of some highways are pretty horrid too, my tyres aren't even old but in the wet sometimes it gets very skittly. There are car killing potholes and general stretches of back-breaking bumpiness. Aus is just so big, up-keep of roads is enormously expensive. Shit car + shit road + high speed = disaster.

The fact that we drive BMWs or equivalent mean we drive better cars than most of the population. Shame about the rest...

/rant over
Appreciate 0