BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-28-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

Sealant that's more durable than Zaino, but not as hardcore as opticoat?

I'm not overly familiar with the different chemical tech that goes into sealants. I was planning on just using Zaino Z2 again, as I've been impressed with it so far.

Reading another thread here, it came up that newer sealants are far more durable due to improvements in chemicals.

I don't want to use something as heavy-duty/permanent as the opticoat stuff or other permanent paint sealants, but if there's something which is going to last longer than Zaino and equivalents I'd certainly give it a try.

If there's one that doesn't stain trim white that would be even better, but not required. I'll be putting this on manually with foam pads.

Thanks very much for any recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

I just switched from Zaino to Chemical Guys "Black Light". It's a hybrid sealant. Applied with a blue pad.

I'm not in need of a long lasting sealant because I seal my car often. My other recommendations would be-

Menzerna Power lock
Blackfire wet diamond
      08-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Last longer than Zaino? Not too likely.
Most sealants hold up pretty good, and Z2 has always been loved for its durability. Other sealants will offer much easier application, but I wouldn't expect a huge change in durability, especially if you're the type to layer your sealant.

No "professional / enthusiast grade" sealant should stain trim as they don't have cleaners / abrasives in them. That's part of the beauty of using good products: they're easier to use and work better.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

Hmm, so Zaino Z2 is still 'up there' with the best non-permanent sealants?

Really appreciate the help, thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I have been very happy with Menzerna power lock sealant. Very easy to use, good shine and excellent durability. I have also heard great reviews of blackfire wet diamond.

For a comparison my buddy next door keeps his cars immaculate and he is a zaino addict. He gets an excellent shine and very good durability. We did a "shine off" comparison last year. We put our cars beside eachother and could not decide which one looked better. After 3 months we decided our cars both still had great protection (incredible water beading by both) but I use mine as a daily driver and his car is used mainly as a fun weakend driver. I think I may have got more out of my product since it was out in the elements way more.

The verdict...we both decided that both products worked great. However, he could not get over how simple my application process was. He took WAY longer them me to seal his paint yet he has been a long term user and says he has the Zaino application down to a science. He said it took him several attempts to get the whole process done right. What will be funny is he has his big Zaino sign in his garage and a shelf full of their products. I think he was VERY suprised how good the Menzerna powerlock was. I am intersted to see if he keeps with Zaino or switches.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
Kcc
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels with a turbo

Klasses HGSH is what I use (2 coat). On top of that 100% carnauba wax.

Looks wet on a white car!

Kcc