BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-07-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
i_love_cars
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6mt

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
FEELER Thread: FS 2011 135i 6MT Crimson Red

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
USD 1.00

Item Interest
moving to a real FS thread

Last edited by i_love_cars; 10-01-2016 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: moving to actual FS
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

I have seen and ridden in this car and can vouch for the overall condition and quality of all the work done to it. This is honestly the nicest 135i I've ever seen. No competition....not even close. +1 for a great car and a great seller, worth every penny.

GLWS buddy!
      07-07-2015, 07:58 PM   #3
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

47K is not low mileage.

I have no doubt the car is immaculate and very much improved by what you have done to it. The problem with selling modified cars is that a very large proportion (like 90% or more) of collectors don't want modded cars; the more they are modded, the less they are considered desirable.

You might well find someone who just wants to drive the car and who will appreciate everything you have done to it/for it, and as a result will pay for it.

However, the most likely outcome is that you would be very lucky to get private seller blue book when it comes time for the purchaser to actually write a check, given the fact that a lot of buyers won't even consider a car like this.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 09:12 PM   #4
i_love_cars
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
47K is not low mileage.

I have no doubt the car is immaculate and very much improved by what you have done to it. The problem with selling modified cars is that a very large proportion (like 90% or more) of collectors don't want modded cars; the more they are modded, the less they are considered desirable.

You might well find someone who just wants to drive the car and who will appreciate everything you have done to it/for it, and as a result will pay for it.

However, the most likely outcome is that you would be very lucky to get private seller blue book when it comes time for the purchaser to actually write a check, given the fact that a lot of buyers won't even consider a car like this.

Good luck.
You are correct, which is why I figured I'll just see who may (or may not) be interested. Let's not forget I'm just throwing out some rough numbers. I would only sell the car to an enthusiast in the first place who is going to properly enjoy and take care of it, so that does rule out 90% of buyers. To the right buyer I may very well sell for even 25k but who knows. If the timing was right, if there was an M3 I really wanted that I could get my grubby mitts on, then maybe.

I had an Acura TL Type-S that I had about $24k into on top of the price of the car ($21k), and eventually had to sell it to buy a house and dumped it for $16k. Trust me, I know better than most how the mod game goes when selling cars, lol. That money never comes back and relatively speaking I lost more on that transaction than most people who buy and mod cars because I did a custom NA engine build at a reputable shop.

I'm with you, though. I don't expect a ton of interest and it's just an option for me so I figured what the hell. It's purely an enthusiast-only car at this point.
      07-07-2015, 10:13 PM   #5
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_cars View Post
You are correct, which is why I figured I'll just see who may (or may not) be interested . . . .

I'm with you, though. I don't expect a ton of interest and it's just an option for me so I figured what the hell. It's purely an enthusiast-only car at this point.
A "few" months ago I bought a modified BMW performance car (will not better identify it as I do not want it associated with me) that I foolishly thought could be "de-modded" and that the low mileage on the car would justify all that. One look at the thing when it arrived dissuaded even my mechanic from considering to go further; he told me to dump it and to take whatever loss was necessary to be rid of it. The story is not yet finished and I am going to be out a LOT of money.

I have been told that this is not a rare event when it comes to those who buy modified cars without knowing what they are getting into.

My personal opinion is that modifying a car is a labor of love and as such it is almost like getting married. Once you go beyond a certain point you are basically stuck with the results of what you have done.

Now, I don't think there is anything wrong with this, that is, if you buy a car and you want to mod it, I say, "more power to ya." I think it is great that someone wants to put their own personality onto a car like this.

The problem is that when circumstances or opinions change, and the modder wants to get rid of his creation, it is hard to find very many other people who are seeking a car modified like that.

So, you end up getting shellacked.

And maybe the next time you decide not to do anything like that again. Or, you might decide you had so much fun doing it, that you enjoyed the car you created so much that it all was worth it and you would do it again, in a heartbeat, and who cares what the cost was?

I have no problem with that, either.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 10:36 PM   #6
tphaeng
Captain
Rep
Drives: derrrty

Pmd
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 09:30 AM   #7
i_love_cars
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
A "few" months ago I bought a modified BMW performance car (will not better identify it as I do not want it associated with me) that I foolishly thought could be "de-modded" and that the low mileage on the car would justify all that. One look at the thing when it arrived dissuaded even my mechanic from considering to go further; he told me to dump it and to take whatever loss was necessary to be rid of it. The story is not yet finished and I am going to be out a LOT of money.

I have been told that this is not a rare event when it comes to those who buy modified cars without knowing what they are getting into.

My personal opinion is that modifying a car is a labor of love and as such it is almost like getting married. Once you go beyond a certain point you are basically stuck with the results of what you have done.

Now, I don't think there is anything wrong with this, that is, if you buy a car and you want to mod it, I say, "more power to ya." I think it is great that someone wants to put their own personality onto a car like this.

The problem is that when circumstances or opinions change, and the modder wants to get rid of his creation, it is hard to find very many other people who are seeking a car modified like that.

And maybe the next time you decide not to do anything like that again. Or, you might decide you had so much fun doing it, that you enjoyed the car you created so much that it all was worth it and you would do it again, in a heartbeat, and who cares what the cost was?

Well shit I am sorry to hear that. I guess I've always been one of the few people who does things right and doesn't hide anything. The guy who bought my Acura has put like 30k miles on it now trouble-free and he bought it from me at 92k miles. I also paid really good money to have everything done right.

A lot of modified cars are just done by hacks, and on top of that, there are definitely people who flog the piss out of their cars all day every day and abuse them. I really hope that you don't come out too far in the red on that car you bought.

But I get it.

I'm also the type of person who is extremely thorough when selling so if I have a serious buyer, I provide video footage of the car in action, every minor blemish you may see, and I am happy to have inspections done by the dealership ahead of time for prospective buyers and send them that paperwork, particularly if they are out-of-state. I don't want to waste my time or anyone else's with false representation.

Again I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience with buying a modified car.
      07-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #8
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

This car has not "gone beyond a certain point." It has basic bolt-ons that most people would do anyways and the seller is including stock parts to bring it up to emission compliance in states where that is an issue. This is an awesome deal for an enthusiast who is looking for a car that already has the basics complete and is ready to enjoy as-is, or take to the next level.

I don't see the point of posting your unrelated experience here in effort to dissuade people or to simply vent your frustration. This is not the place for that.
      07-08-2015, 04:31 PM   #9
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
I don't see the point of posting your unrelated experience here in effort to dissuade people or to simply vent your frustration. This is not the place for that.
This was not a "for sale" thread, this was a "Feeler" thread.

I would not post a negative comment on a "real" for sale listing unless I thought a seller was being intentionally dishonest or misleading, which this OP obviously was NOT.

As a thread soliciting feedback, it is fully appropriate. I hope that I can spare some other people the experience I am going through right now. Fortunately, I can afford the lesson I am receiving, however many here probably would not be so fortunate as to be in that position.

There are several heavily modded M3 cars for sale on ebay right now, some with ridiculous pricing where the seller seems to think he or she can get back most of their modding expenses, when in reality they have DESTROYED the resale value of cars they are selling. Only a collector is going to pay the kinds of prices I am talking about in those cases, and no collector with any sense would buy them. In one of the most extreme cases, the modder has turned his vehicle into one that can't pass emissions testing (he tried multiple times), and he doesn't even know which of the things he did to the car that produced that result :-)

I am not telling anyone not to buy the particular car being discussed by the OP. I am, however, suggesting that unless you know exactly what you are buying, you are much better off buying a used or collectible vehicle in STOCK form.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 04:52 PM   #10
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
This was not a "for sale" thread, this was a "Feeler" thread.

I would not post a negative comment on a "real" for sale listing unless I thought a seller was being intentionally dishonest or misleading, which this OP obviously was NOT.

As a thread soliciting feedback, it is fully appropriate. I hope that I can spare some other people the experience I am going through right now. Fortunately, I can afford the lesson I am receiving, however many here probably would not be so fortunate as to be in that position.

There are several heavily modded M3 cars for sale on ebay right now, some with ridiculous pricing where the seller seems to think he or she can get back most of their modding expenses, when in reality they have DESTROYED the resale value of cars they are selling. Only a collector is going to pay the kinds of prices I am talking about in those cases, and no collector with any sense would buy them. In one of the most extreme cases, the modder has turned his vehicle into one that can't pass emissions testing (he tried multiple times), and he doesn't even know which of the things he did to the car that produced that result :-)

I am not telling anyone not to buy the particular car being discussed by the OP. I am, however, suggesting that unless you know exactly what you are buying, you are much better off buying a used or collectible vehicle in STOCK form.
Again, I get your point and I agree with it, but absolutely none of the extreme modding you speak of has anything to do with this thread/car and the OP is NOT looking to make his money back on the mods. Not to mention a 135i is hardly considered a collectible. If you want to talk about buying stock cars vs heavily modified cars you are free to do that in the general discussion section. When you do it here, it is implied that you are discussing this specific car, which you have admitted you are not, and that makes your post irrelevant to this thread.

That's all I'll say in response to this. There is no need to further muddy up ANY thread in the for sale section with unrelated conversation, whether it's a feeler or not. Maybe you and I just have different ideas about what a feeler thread is about. *shrugs*

Last edited by Iyzmi; 07-08-2015 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 08:40 PM   #11
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

I actually think that the 1-Series has a pretty good likelihood of becoming collectible, especially 6M versions with relatively low mileage. We aren't to that point yet, but they do represent more or less the last of the breed of iconic small sport sedans without automatic everything, that BMW is likely to ever produce.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 07:42 AM   #12
i_love_cars
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
I actually think that the 1-Series has a pretty good likelihood of becoming collectible, especially 6M versions with relatively low mileage. We aren't to that point yet, but they do represent more or less the last of the breed of iconic small sport sedans without automatic everything, that BMW is likely to ever produce.
I love driving them too much to ever keep mileage low This is also why I refuse to buy a 1-series M for 50k+, lol. I could never be that guy who buys a collectible car to keep as a garage queen. 25k miles per year until the wheels fall off
      07-09-2015, 12:09 PM   #13
E46NAQ7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Awesome car and looks like it's well taken care of, GLWS!

Also, to the other guy who keeps posting, you should PM him directly rather than spew all that on his thread, it's disrespectful to the seller IMO and unwarranted.
      02-25-2016, 08:57 AM   #14
BrandonMc
//M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8 & 2011 535i MSport

Jordan, you don't know how tempted I am by this...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 10:44 AM   #15
i_love_cars
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonMc View Post
Jordan, you don't know how tempted I am by this...
brandon! hahaha what's up man. I hope you are doing well! This thread is so old now, you should keep up on what I'm doing with the car.

It's in pieces right now - i pulled the stock turbo out last weekend and my Pure Stage 2 arrived on Tuesday. Waiting on some more parts to ship still before I can install it but by next weekend it will be back together with the bigger turbo, upgraded fuel pump, and more tuning

http://www.wibimmers.com/board/index...gether/&page=3
      02-25-2016, 04:24 PM   #16
ihateforums
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 m6

My taake, and I have been looking 4 a long time.

The car is nice. The car is a sweet ride. I agree with some who say that most buyers want a car with no scars. Upgrades can only add wear and tear, not the opposite.( most cases ). Now, ..if your a buyer who is interested in a track car thats " turn key", its a blessing. If your a buyer who wants to have a fresh car do trick out only to a certain level, then maybe not so sweet. I like simple stage one type mods. open air, mild 40 hp tune, down pipe. Thats it. The more upgrades, the more to worry about in my eyes. But , thats just me. One mans masterpiece artwork is a another mans eye sore. I think that 28 K would be right. Its lowered, rims are cool, has some good parts. But, the fact it was pushed on a track, pulled the price to 28 K for me. If had all the mods and was just driven spiritedly and push once in a while on freeway, then it could be a bit higher. Best of luck, I think the nices ride I have seen is the one craigslist Los Angeles( Concord ) 6 K miles, 135 is. Thats the cleanest I have seen.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:13 PM   #17
qualitycontrol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i - Alpine white

Sell it to me, treat it like the Type-S and we will both be happy. I am an enthusiast who is looking for one. My problem is I live in Ontarion Canada and the Canadian dollar is in the garbage right now. 35% exchange rate would kill me. Although for 16K I could make an exception!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 10:43 AM   #18
earlfoss
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW

I am in the market for a new to me 135i and this thing looks amazing. This car definitely sets the bar for me. Sounds like it's still a fun, active project for you with all the mods and track days.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 08:07 PM   #19
i_love_cars
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlfoss View Post
I am in the market for a new to me 135i and this thing looks amazing. This car definitely sets the bar for me. Sounds like it's still a fun, active project for you with all the mods and track days.
scoop one up, join WIBimmers.com and join us at Lake Mills Cars and Coffee, dude