BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
tarmacrapist
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2001 Mazda Protege LX

128i Inquiry

Hello all!

I’m new to this forum, and BMWs all together; as a matter of fact, I have never even driven one to this day, but hope that might change in within the next year. I’m finally out of school and into the work force as a mechanical designer, but have been a car enthusiast my entire life. My present day car is a 2001 Mazda Protégé LX (base model, apart from the two point not), suffering from DSS (degenerative steel syndrome, otherwise know as rust) in all 4 fenders, rocker panels and spreading to parts of the floor. It has a redressed frame after an unfortunate at fault collision with the side walk this winter, so vibrations are abundant above 110km/h and the car is undriveable above 140km/h (not that I venture that high often anyway)

All this intro just to inquire about the 1-series; a car I keep reading is a marvel and great experience to drive. I’m looking for something nimble, rear-wheel drive, with decent fuel economy, good reliability, a $25,000 or less purchase price, sane insurance for a 22 y-o male, decent power and good fit and finish. Not many cars today (if any other) meet my stringent requests for a daily driver, but the 128i seems to sit as close to it as I could ask for.

I’m just wondering about a few key points, notably reliability, and if there are any model years I should avoid. Also, I hear there isn’t a dipstick?! That I must check the oil quality and quantity through the trust of a computer?! I’m not sure I like that; I need a more tangible alternative to motor oil verification. Is there a plugged hole present in the engine block that was previously used for such a dipstick, but condemned in favor of the electronic option? I have heard as well the presence of a clutch release control valve that prevents drivers from stressing the transmission, and that it’s b!tch to park and drive normally. Is there a way to bypass this in a warranty-safe method?

Thanks!

James
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

Hi James,

The only recommendation I would make is to get a 6MT. I heard they changed the springs or w/e for 2011 from progressive to linear (?), and also, they downgraded the base stereo system during a certain year (?).

Other than that, you'll love the car!
      04-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Welcome to BMW

I've had 4 BMWs and still have two. Just bought a 128 in USA. Prices and selection there much better. All 4 were bought in USA. My 128 has sport pkg, power seats, thats about all. Perfect 1 owner with documented maintenance history.
I have a son your age at CMR. Assume you know great Canadian rally driver who lives in SJsR also.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

I've really enjoyed my 128i. I'd recommend a sport suspension with manual. The sport also means you get summer tires so winters tires are a must if there's snow.

I haven't removed the CDV in my car, so i can't speak to the difference when it's removed, but I haven't had any problems with parking and normal driving. The CDV is noticeable when trying to launch the car, it feels like the clutch is being let out slowly, which i don't like.

Yes, the missing dipstick is really unfortunate. And there are other enthusiast turn offs like, no engine temperature reading, run flat tires, the previously mentioned CDV. But there are solutions to all of these problems, and despite them the 128i is a pleasure to drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 05:36 AM   #5
tarmacrapist
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops128i View Post
...no engine temperature reading,...

...but there are solutions to all of these problems, and despite them the 128i is a pleasure to drive.
ouch. no temp reading? Is there a solution for this? or is there a dash light that alerts the driver if the engine is cold (or hot)? I've never driven with runflats, but have heard negativity from more than one person. What's wrong with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine View Post
Hi James,

The only recommendation I would make is to get a 6MT. I heard they changed the springs or w/e for 2011 from progressive to linear (?), and also, they downgraded the base stereo system during a certain year (?).

Other than that, you'll love the car!
How's the stereo anyhow? And do you know the year when they downgraded the stereo? I have to say, sound quality is pretty important to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirthernDancer View Post
I've had 4 BMWs and still have two. Just bought a 128 in USA. Prices and selection there much better. All 4 were bought in USA. My 128 has sport pkg, power seats, thats about all. Perfect 1 owner with documented maintenance history.
I have a son your age at CMR. Assume you know great Canadian rally driver who lives in SJsR also.
That's exactly what I want to get, and I emphasize on purchasing a car from an owner and not a post-leased vehicle for obvious reasons. The sport package is a must as well as the sunroof. But to be honest, I don't know any rally drivers from St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, apart from my olf Volks mechanic, Laflamme.

Thanks alot guys!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
Riley1524
Captain
Rep
Drives: A Slow Ass BMW

I'm positive you'll like the 128i as long as it's a 6 speed as others have stated. I've had many performance based cars (s2000, 07 350z and currently drive a 2010 370z as a weekend car) and while the 128i isn't a enthusiast car, it has great features and is a well rounded car. The problem is there isn't much performance aftermarket support at all, so if your into modding, especially concerning power, I would think about looking elsewhere.
      04-29-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

I'm biased, obviously, but I love my 128i and I'm glad I chose it over the 135i that I was originally considering. Mainly, the 128i offers a huge price advantage over the 135i and you're getting 90% of the car. Last November, I paid less than $23k for my '08 CPO car with (at the time) 24,000 miles on it. Only options are sunroof, power/heated seats, and automatic transmission. Not a huge fan of the transmission, but it was something I sought out because of the huge traffic burden I face every day during my 70-mile commute. My car with the 6MT would be an absolute blast to drive and as it stands now, it's a phenomenal "commuter" car for me and I don't plan to give it up any time soon.

Service records on my car indicate that it had zero dealer visits for any defects prior to me taking ownership. The only problem it's had since was a defective driver's side tail light, which is a known problem among the E82/E88. So, that's literally one problem in 40,000 miles for my car.

I too didn't like the idea of not having an oil dipstick, but it hasn't been a problem. BMW isn't the only manufacturer going the dipstick-less route, either. According to the BC, my car has only burned about 1/2 quart in the 16,000 miles I've put on it in the past 6 months...certainly within normal specs and quite low as far as oil consumption is concerned.

As for insurance, my 128i insurance is actually about $18/year less than my previous car, a Volkswagen Jetta TDI. Go figure!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #8
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmacrapist View Post
ouch. no temp reading? Is there a solution for this? or is there a dash light that alerts the driver if the engine is cold (or hot)? I've never driven with runflats, but have heard negativity from more than one person. What's wrong with them?
While not having a water temp gauge is an annoyance, for years BMW temp gauges have been so heavily buffered as to be little more effective than warning lights. If you overheat, there is a warning light and for warmup, I find that either 3~6 miles of moderate driving will do it, or one can check the oil level through the computer - if no reading is given, ther car is still too cold to drive "vigorously".

The biggest thing wrong with runflats is their high price and loads of misinformation on the internet! While the ride tends to be a bit stiffer, this is compensated by less weight (no spare), more luggage space and the ability to continue a journey without pause. And there are many different RFTs such as Summer, All season, Winter, Performance, Touring, etc. Also, there is no reason not to replace the RFTs with conventional tires should you desire.

At your price level, you are probably restricted to an '08 - I'd search for a CPO car from a BMW dealer. And definitely choose one with the SP and MT. I've averaged nearly 28 mpg overall on my '08 128i 'vert with mostly highway & mountain road driving. Also, my insurance dropped 20% compared to the '03 Z4 3.0 I formerly drove.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 11:41 AM   #9
Riley1524
Captain
Rep

At your price level, you are probably restricted to an '08 - I'd search for a CPO car from a BMW dealer. And definitely choose one with the SP and MT. I've averaged nearly 28 mpg overall on my '08 128i 'vert with mostly highway & mountain road driving. Also, my insurance dropped 20% compared to the '03 Z4 3.0 I formerly drove.

Tom[/QUOTE]

. I bought my 128i a couple months ago at $19,000 with 35,500 miles in perfect condition. Just search around, I'm sure you can find a good deal on a newer model.
      04-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
Hops128i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
The biggest thing wrong with runflats is their high price and loads of misinformation on the internet! While the ride tends to be a bit stiffer, this is compensated by less weight (no spare), more luggage space and the ability to continue a journey without pause.
Tom
I don't know if the weight savings are that great. But the unsprung weight penalty for RTF's is significant.

I think the ride quality of the RTF's is a little overstated, but in the decision process of buying my 128i, i wish i had known:
-not many places will repair a runflat, even if you haven't driven a single foot on them with the TPMS warning light on, even though RTF's are most certainly repairable in this situation.
-Since RTF's are officially 'unrepairable' they are a waste of resources. Especially when being halfway worn, one replacement will mean you have to shave the new tire, or get both replaced.
-runflats don't grip as well
-RTF's add to the unsprung weight of the car.
-If you're on a road trip a flat RTF is much more inconvenient since you have to have it replaced.

Of course, you can just ditch the things and get real tires....
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 01:09 AM   #11
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops128i View Post
I don't know if the weight savings are that great. But the unsprung weight penalty for RTF's is significant.

I think the ride quality of the RTF's is a little overstated, but in the decision process of buying my 128i, i wish i had known:
-not many places will repair a runflat, even if you haven't driven a single foot on them with the TPMS warning light on, even though RTF's are most certainly repairable in this situation.
-Since RTF's are officially 'unrepairable' they are a waste of resources. Especially when being halfway worn, one replacement will mean you have to shave the new tire, or get both replaced.
-runflats don't grip as well
-RTF's add to the unsprung weight of the car.
-If you're on a road trip a flat RTF is much more inconvenient since you have to have it replaced.

Of course, you can just ditch the things and get real tires....
RFT are horrible. Like driving with bricks as tires...
      04-30-2011, 07:10 AM   #12
tarmacrapist
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine View Post
RFT are horrible. Like driving with bricks as tires...
I just got Pirelli P-Zero Neros for my Protege, so I'm assuming it'll be a big downgrade. dang. Yeah, a 6-speed is imperative for me; manual or go home I guess I'll look into replacement alternatives to the runflats.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #13
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Yes, def go with the manual. I wish I had a manual. Ever since I got intake and exhaust, I have to put my car into manual mode(currently have an auto) because it sounds so much better when I am in control . As for tires, If you are looking for good price and quality, I recommend the hankook v12. They are about 600 bucks, and have amazing grip.
      04-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #14
AlwayzUnce
Petey G
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
Yes, def go with the manual. I wish I had a manual. Ever since I got intake and exhaust, I have to put my car into manual mode(currently have an auto) because it sounds so much better when I am in control . As for tires, If you are looking for good price and quality, I recommend the hankook v12. They are about 600 bucks, and have amazing grip.
get the tune, pop it in sport.. much faster than manual mode
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #15
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

The 128i MSport I have is superb. It IS an enthusiasts car...with handling and speed in porportion to ANYthing you will do OFF track. I know as I do both street and track, just not in that car. Its a stitch. The Sport suspension is best of course, and the run flats on this 2011 are simply great. I do NOT like run flats, got rid of them on my 08 Z4si, as those were like bricks,,but not on this 128i. I thot I would do get rid of them..but not now. The larger wheels and tires on the MSport make a diff and all in all a great little package. No flames on this please: but launch is simply not needed unless you wish to drag race the thing, and then that won't prove very much. IF you wish to drag race, then I recco a beefier muscle car OTHER than the 1er. For everything else, as the ad says..there is the 1er. Pop for the uprades, save some money and have the better suspension and seats. Enjoy getting it...you will love it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #16
Riley1524
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkeeper View Post
The 128i MSport I have is superb. It IS an enthusiasts car...with handling and speed in porportion to ANYthing you will do OFF track. I know as I do both street and track, just not in that car. Its a stitch. The Sport suspension is best of course, and the run flats on this 2011 are simply great. I do NOT like run flats, got rid of them on my 08 Z4si, as those were like bricks,,but not on this 128i. I thot I would do get rid of them..but not now. The larger wheels and tires on the MSport make a diff and all in all a great little package. No flames on this please: but launch is simply not needed unless you wish to drag race the thing, and then that won't prove very much. IF you wish to drag race, then I recco a beefier muscle car OTHER than the 1er. For everything else, as the ad says..there is the 1er. Pop for the uprades, save some money and have the better suspension and seats. Enjoy getting it...you will love it.
Respectively, I have to disagree with this statement about the 128i being an enthusiast car especially if you drive a auto in this car. The power isn't "there" to really be considered an enthusiast car, but if your into modding every single car like myself, it helps getting over the fact that the car is slower than most cars in the same price range. The sport package makes a minimal difference in terms of handling and overall ride, though the 128i would make a great autocross car with fully tuned suspension. Don't get me wrong, I love the car as a daily commuter , back and forth to work, but I will use my 370z to take care of my speed and track needs being that it's practically track ready from the factory floor and has good power to boot. This is my opinion so take it how you will and no disrespect to the above post.
      05-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #17
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Well, there are a lot of 128i enthusiasts on this board, so I guess that alone makes it an "enthusiasts' car."

And just what is the minimum HP requirement for an enthusiasts' car? I can think of a lot of other cars that make much less power than the 128i that have large followings.
      05-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #18
Riley1524
Captain
Rep

Don't get me wrong, you can be a car enthusiast and drive a 128i, hell I do and have and plan on modding the car as much as I can to my liking, but by definition, it's not a pure enthusiast car. There is, in most cases, definitions that go along with it. One of the main reasons I think it's not considered a true "enthusiast" choice would be lack power, so,so handling (even the sport package), and the biggest reason I, (again this is my opinion), is the lack of aftermarket support. Most people that mod their cars have big support from the aftermarket companies. Can you enjoy the 128i in stock form from the dealership? Sure!!! Would it be my personal choice as a all around enthusiast car if I didn't have a sports car and money just to throw into the 128i for the hell of it? Absolutely, positively not.

In the end of it all, any car can be modded and have a big following, look at Honda owners, but I still think there has to be criteria met to make a certain model of car worthy of such a title. The 128i is a very well rounded car that doesn't really shine in one specific area, that alone is enough for most of us to be happy.

Last edited by Riley1524; 05-01-2011 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #19
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

I chose the 128i over a GTI after driving both for very long times. I love both of the cars. I basically chose the 128i over the gti because it is RWD. The GTI is a huge enthusiast car, so I consider the 128i to be one too, although the market is much smaller
      05-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #20
Hops128i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkeeper View Post
The 128i MSport I have is superb. It IS an enthusiasts car...
totally agree, how many RWD, manual, relatively light, nice sounding cars are there out there? You would have to have an extremely narrow definition of an "enthusiast's car" to think otherwise. I've owned a much faster car, and don't think the linear performance on a car disqualifies it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #21
atiened1
Atiened1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Jet Black

I also chose the 128i over the GTI when I bought it last week. No regrets and loving the 128i. Ive never modded a car, but am considering starting with this one since I like it so much. Starting small of course, like aluminum pedals first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
I chose the 128i over a GTI after driving both for very long times. I love both of the cars. I basically chose the 128i over the gti because it is RWD. The GTI is a huge enthusiast car, so I consider the 128i to be one too, although the market is much smaller
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #22
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1524 View Post
One of the main reasons I think it's not considered a true "enthusiast" choice would be lack power,
So the original Porsche 356 with it's 42 to 70hp was not an enthusiasts car, nor was the 40hp MG TC. But I guess the contemporary Cadillac was as it had 150hp, to say nothing of Packard's 160hp.

Tom
Appreciate 0