BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #23
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i

Don't feel bad fella's, I see 4-5 cops with radar anytime I drive and the speed limit maxes at 65 in a very few places. Georgia now has the "Super Speeder" fine where starting at at 15 over the limit the fine is about $200 to the county then the same for the state.... ah the concern of the government for our wallet...er...I mean safety..... Guess it's time to invest in a V1 detector....
      01-21-2013, 03:40 AM   #24
Tit
Australia
Rep
Drives: 964C2 // 1M // R56JCW

In Melbourne, Australia, it's normal to hear of people getting fines of 2kmph over in 80 and 100 zones!
      01-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #25
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tit View Post
In Melbourne, Australia, it's normal to hear of people getting fines of 2kmph over in 80 and 100 zones!
WoW! Thats nuts. At least the Polzei always give you a 3% discount on your offense. Really. They take 3% off your speed and that is what they write you up for. AND... you have to pay right there and then on the side of the road. (IF you get pulled over), or via the mail/post by photo radar ticket.

Also they only "Blitz" (take your pic) from the front of the car. Never from behind the car. Other EU countries do "Blitz" that way like in Italy, UK and Austria and Swiss.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 02:39 AM   #26
Tit
Australia
Rep
Drives: 964C2 // 1M // R56JCW

There's a difference for us in my town (Canberra). Our police are federal, not state. So they aren't too fussed about collecting fines for the local government. Generally police with hand-held radars will allow 10% above the limit before they start pulling you over.

We have fixed cameras, which have lower tolerances, as well as white vans. I think part of the strategy is that they are high visibility in 'high risk' areas, thus forcing the traffic to slow (and not 'ambush' them).

In the Australian States (such as Victoria), they are much more strict...

Here's one of our vans....very high visibility on purpose:

01-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #27
josh135
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
WoW! Thats nuts. At least the Polzei always give you a 3% discount on your offense. Really. They take 3% off your speed and that is what they write you up for. AND... you have to pay right there and then on the side of the road. (IF you get pulled over), or via the mail/post by photo radar ticket.

Also they only "Blitz" (take your pic) from the front of the car. Never from behind the car. Other EU countries do "Blitz" that way like in Italy, UK and Austria and Swiss.

Dack
I thought that the new speed camera's that look like a big pole will take 3 to 4 photo's of your car including the rear now.
      01-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #28
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
If I remember correctly, the "poles" won't get you from behind but one pole can see both sides of the road

I got a 10 Euro ticket for doing 106 in a 100 zone just last month. I was like, that's just RUDE, lol

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #29
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Are these cameras always manned? It looks like some of them are just sitting there unattended. If so, what stops people from trashing them?

Maybe it's just the cultural differences. Over here I don't think they'd last too long if the cops weren't watching them every second...

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #30
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
The mobile ones are manned (Polizei in a nearby van) and some of the permanent ones get vandalized but the Germans have sort of solved that problem by putting them in the middle of the road

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #31
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh135 View Post
I thought that the new speed camera's that look like a big pole will take 3 to 4 photo's of your car including the rear now.
I don't know for sure. Maybe some of our German members can help us out. ? You only see those "pole" cameras in big cities. I saw a few in Stuttgart/ But mostly they are used up North in NRW (Essen/Dortmound) area.

I know when those cameras first came out two or so years ago... they have a software problem. And they did not really work. They can check multiple lanes ALL at the same time and read and Blitz in both directions. The laser has a range of 30m to 75m (meters). So your only in danger when you get close. And they are fully digital so they never run out of film! Like in the good ol' days of Blitzing!

In Germany it is against the law to Blitz(take your pic) from behind. So they only work as you approach the "pole" camera.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #32
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
Are these cameras always manned? It looks like some of them are just sitting there unattended. If so, what stops people from trashing them?

Maybe it's just the cultural differences. Over here I don't think they'd last too long if the cops weren't watching them every second...

ianc
Yes, the Polizei stay inside of those vans or cars near the Blitzer. In Germany no one has guns(well some do but they must keep them locked up!), so there is only so much damage you can do with spray paint can!

It is also against the law here to warn other drivers of a Blitzer. So often times... there will be an unmarked Polizei down the street from a mobil Blitzer. IF they see you flashing your lights to warn other drivers. They will give YOU a ticket as well.

One of these camera car Blitzer's can cost upwards of ~100K euros. So they do not leave them alone. Most are owned by the city - and they change the car's tags dailey. But they always uses the same set of three or four tags.

Also... you have some "free-lance" Blitzer's. Private people who have gone thru a school - on the mobil Blitzer's. They setup in an area - and give the local Polizei the speeding data. Then the local cops collect the fines. I think its very lucrative for these indi Blitzer guys. I heard its like 80% for them vs 20% for the city in the fines they send out via the Post.

The red light cameras are just empty boxes that hold a camera. When cars go thru a red light (thats very rare over here!, and can cost as much as 400 euros) the empty box will still flash. I know in the city where I live... we have five red light cameras. But the Polizei only have ONE camera. So everyday they move the camera from box to box - location.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #33
1thomas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M539

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [10.00]
These poles, their official name is "Poliscan speed" and they are build by Vitronic, are nasty, or can be.

Effectively they take up to 4 cameras as one can see quite easy. How these are used depends on the individual installation. As far as I am aware the cameras in there do not rotate but are bound to the direction they're facing. With 4 possible cameras that still leaves room for some to be set up for rear-shots, which are btw NOT illegal and can be done and used. Thats how they get bikers, if they're trying, or cars in some situations. Rearpics were quite common until they came up with the red flash, because the white one blinded people. With the red one they went for front-pics for driver ID, which is why rear pics are not too common, as you basically still need a front pic. Also as said, this laser-based system can track cars during lane-changes and while it is approaching. So depending on how these are set up, they can get you from both sides and if they like to fool around even with 2 cameras per direction .

No more 1-series. Just a '14 Focus Diesel Wagon company-daily. Oh and this one..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #34
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1thomas View Post
These poles, their official name is "Poliscan speed" and they are build by Vitronic, are nasty, or can be.

Effectively they take up to 4 cameras as one can see quite easy. How these are used depends on the individual installation. As far as I am aware the cameras in there do not rotate but are bound to the direction they're facing. With 4 possible cameras that still leaves room for some to be set up for rear-shots, which are btw NOT illegal and can be done and used. Thats how they get bikers, if they're trying, or cars in some situations. Rearpics were quite common until they came up with the red flash, because the white one blinded people. With the red one they went for front-pics for driver ID, which is why rear pics are not too common, as you basically still need a front pic. Also as said, this laser-based system can track cars during lane-changes and while it is approaching. So depending on how these are set up, they can get you from both sides and if they like to fool around even with 2 cameras per direction .
Ouch. And there is one of those "poles" right in the entrance to the street I live in.
      01-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #35
josh135
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

I think I remember hearing this but is word of mouth from one of my German family members that they were built for motorcycles mainly. Since motorcycles only have a back plate this would make a lot of sense for the poliscan speed.
      01-23-2013, 01:40 AM   #36
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:

LOL....LAZERS
Attached Images

01-23-2013, 07:19 AM   #37
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabor67 View Post
Ouch. And there is one of those "poles" right in the entrance to the street I live in.
^^^ OhhhOOoooOOOoo....

I swear the next ticket I get(knock on wood, its been three years) I'm gonna send them a VAT form for them to take off the 19% MwSt!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #38
1thomas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [10.00]
Tickets don't have VAT in them

No more 1-series. Just a '14 Focus Diesel Wagon company-daily. Oh and this one..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #39
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Tickets don't have VAT in them
Ohh yes they do! My tickets included tax!!! Maybe its only in Bayern. Nick's also got hit pretty good with tax - but his was for speeding.

Two or three years ago... I got two "abstand" tickets. I was in a "free, unrestricted autobahn"... but they got me for tail gating another car in front of me. I was a little guilty of "putting some pressure" on him to move over! ...100 euros for the first one. Then a month or two later another ticket for 200 euros. The Polizei first wants to know who was driving.... then they send a 2nd set of papers on how to pay. They do tell you the fine in the first letter. But when I got the payment info... the first ticket was 119 euros and the second one was 238 euros.

Like I said... next time I'm gonna give them a VAT form - and let them figure THAT out!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #40
1thomas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [10.00]
Well ok that is news to me. But then again I never got a ticket for tailgating, or any ticket in that height for that matter :P.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 03:16 AM   #41
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
looks like only the big ones that require processing?

My wife & I have been nabed for 6-13Kph over and none of those "small" 10-20 euro fines showed a Mvst.
      01-24-2013, 03:48 AM   #42
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
Sounds like we need to add to this thread some of our happy snaps. I always ask for the photo to confirm it was me , like the one day I quickly left a stop light in Schwetzingen and at the last second remembered the new pole camera, slammed on the brakes and only got nailed for 10kph over instead of like 30 over
      01-24-2013, 04:07 AM   #43
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Do any of you guys use this app? http://www.blitzer.de/

Well... it is not legal for the "driver" to use it... but your "passenger" can.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 04:38 AM   #44
1thomas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [10.00]
I don't really care for stuff like that .

I tend to not speed in regions where it really hurts, +20 outside of citylimits is mostly enough and not worth bothering. And in the region I know where they like to be and where not, so.. meh...

Appreciate 0