BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-30-2015, 12:54 PM   #1
BigRussia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Passenger door lock not working, help

Yesterday I went to put something in my car and the passenger door wouldn't unlock with the fob or with the central button (driver's door lock still works fine though). The lock had worked fine not even an hour ago when I had parked and locked the car. The door can still manually lock pushing the tab and unlock when pulling the interior handle and I don't hear any sounds when I try to lock/unlock with the fob or central button.

I searched around first found a handful of threads, seemed to be a fuse issue and usually the 15amp fuse is the culprit. Looking at the fuse diagram there seems to be 4 fuses next to a symbol of a door with a key in it. I pulled fuses #72 (the 15amp), #73, and #79 and they're not blown. The 4th fuse #61 doesn't even have a fuse in it, but my lock was always working before. If its not the fuses what could it be? Really hoping i don't have to go to the dealer for this..
      05-30-2015, 11:10 PM   #2
prcsa77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

If it stills open mechanically (push down locks, pull handle, unlocks), and the fuses are good, then it would most likely be the door actuator.
t
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prcsa77 View Post
If it stills open mechanically (push down locks, pull handle, unlocks), and the fuses are good, then it would most likely be the door actuator.
t
Dang...is there a way i can diagnose this for sure without having to open up the door and digging around in there? Just want to confirm before I start shopping around for a replacement part. I'm assuming useless CPO warranty doesn't cover locks or actuators uh?

Also which of the fuses are spares? None of the fuses are popped but i want to see if swapping with a spare will do anything just to completely rule out a fuse issue.
      05-31-2015, 06:37 PM   #4
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
FWIW when my driver side door lock actuator went I could hear a faint noise when I used the fob or pressed door handle (I have comfort access) like it was trying to open or close but couldn't. My door lock was stuck in the open position and the manual key wouldn't work. It was because it couldn't lock that I immediately made an appointment with the dealer to have it fixed. I checked all the fuses before hand but nothing seemed wrong so that plus the fact that I could hear the noise of the actuator made me conclude it wasn't an electrical issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 05:17 PM   #5
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
FWIW when my driver side door lock actuator went I could hear a faint noise when I used the fob or pressed door handle (I have comfort access) like it was trying to open or close but couldn't. My door lock was stuck in the open position and the manual key wouldn't work. It was because it couldn't lock that I immediately made an appointment with the dealer to have it fixed. I checked all the fuses before hand but nothing seemed wrong so that plus the fact that I could hear the noise of the actuator made me conclude it wasn't an electrical issue.
Thanks, so it seems its not the actuator but an electrical issue since i can still manually lock and unlock the door. I actually stood outside and put my ear to the handle and locked and unlocked it a bunch of times with the fob to see if I hear anything, I couldn't really tell since the actuator for the trunk is so damn loud that i cant isolate the sound enough to tell if i hear anything from the door's actuator.

So does CPO warranty cover something like this? The SAs at my local dealer have been pretty useless thus far and Ive been getting kinda frustrated since almost every issue I bring up is conveniently for them not covered under CPO warranty
      06-01-2015, 06:18 PM   #6
Mach1er
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i

I believe the interior dash "Lock/Unlock" button only does the doors, not the trunk. Maybe see if it's easier to hear something using that.
      06-02-2015, 08:31 PM   #7
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

So I went back into the fuse box and pulled the 3 fuses for the door locks again (#72, #73 and #79) and also for good measure #57 since it was mentioned on alot of the e90post threads about this issue (even though it's the horn fuse on our cars). As you can see in the pic they're all good and I am not losing my mind lol. I even found a spare 5 amp fuse and plugged it into the empty 61 fuse slot and still nothing!
Name:  FullSizeRender(1).jpg
Views: 24336
Size:  48.0 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1er View Post
I believe the interior dash "Lock/Unlock" button only does the doors, not the trunk. Maybe see if it's easier to hear something using that.
Yep I did just that after checking the fuses again, sat in the passenger seat and pressed the central locking button multiple times with my ear to the door panel by the lock. No sounds that I can hear!

So the symptoms so far: a non-working passenger door lock with no blown fuses and no actuator noises from the lock area....looks like I got another mystery on my hands

Last edited by BigRussia; 06-02-2015 at 08:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #8
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Any more insight, tips, or advice on how to go about this guys? I would like to think I'm not the only 1er to have had this issue

And has anyone had a door lock issue fixed under CPO warranty?
      06-04-2015, 09:11 PM   #9
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRussia
Any more insight, tips, or advice on how to go about this guys? I would like to think I'm not the only 1er to have had this issue

And has anyone had a door lock issue fixed under CPO warranty?
I'm still betting its your lock actuator. Just a guess but the fact that it sounds different than when mine broke might not mean that yours isn't broken. I think there are different audible symptoms for example when a window regulator breaks. Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 06:09 PM   #10
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm still betting its your lock actuator. Just a guess but the fact that it sounds different than when mine broke might not mean that yours isn't broken. I think there are different audible symptoms for example when a window regulator breaks. Just a thought.
Yea you're probably right, since that's all that's left after the electrical stuff. Just to confirm the lock actuator is the 'motor' basically yeah? Or is there a separate electric motor too?

Tomorrow I'll finally call my SA and set up an appointment at the dealer, been swamped with work and wasn't able to take the car in this week. I'm expecting CPO warranty to cover this issue.
      06-07-2015, 07:05 PM   #11
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRussia
Quote:
Yea you're probably right, since that's all that's left after the electrical stuff. Just to confirm the lock actuator is the 'motor' basically yeah? Or is there a separate electric motor too?

Tomorrow I'll finally call my SA and set up an appointment at the dealer, been swamped with work and wasn't able to take the car in this week. I'm expecting CPO warranty to cover this issue.
+1 for the actuator. Yes it's essentially a motor for all intensive purposes. It mechanically moves the locking mechanism. When you open the door to unlock or manually lock it, you're doing the same thing, only by hand.

The easiest and best way IMO to test this is to pull the door panel and check voltage at the actuator with a multimeter or test light. If you have power to the actuator, it means the actuator is the problem. No power, and it's likely wiring, a fuse, or computer. In general it's easiest to diagnose electrical issues from the affected component backwards, once fuses are checked of course.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 05:41 PM   #12
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

So I finally took the car to the dealer yesterday figuring CPO will cover this door lock electrical issue and I think BMW or the dealer are trying to pull one on me....

Even the SA himself was certain it would be covered but today he calls me and leaves a voice mail (I was swamped at work and couldn't answer)... saying not only is the lock not going to be covered under CPO warranty, but that they will charge me a $225 'inspection' fee to just see what is even wrong with it! Are you freaking kidding me?? Inspection fee for something that is clearly not working??

Furious I call him back but couldn't get ahold of him, so I look up the latest CPO brochure to see what is or isn't covered and find this PDF:
http://resource.bmwusa.com/ebooks/7a...o_brochure.pdf

And right there on page 23 it clearly states 'Electrical' issues are covered under CPO warranty. When I dropped off the car I clearly demonstrated to the SA how the lock doesn't work with the remote or central button, but it works manually...so clearly an electrical issue!! The SA left the dealership before I got out of work so I'm going to try and see him tomorrow to fight this BS. I texted him to have the CPO document printed out and be ready to show me where it explicitly says the lock electrical issue wont be covered.

So what do you guys think, do I have a good case here? I really don't understand why they're giving me shit and trying to jip me like I'm a clueless old lady who doesn't know jack. They already bent me over for $300 to change a cornering light bulb and 'program' it not even 2 months ago...freaking ridiculous!
      06-11-2015, 09:15 PM   #13
Mach1er
Lieutenant
Rep

That is BS. Central locking is electrical. If this works out, time to change your sig?
      07-01-2015, 06:05 PM   #14
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1er View Post
That is BS. Central locking is electrical. If this works out, time to change your sig?
I will not change my sig because CPO is utter useless BS garbage! Needless to say...it did not work out.

Sorry i know im late but i had to come back and finish this thread with what happened and the utter BS and run around I was given by the dealer and BMWNA.

So Friday June 12th I got the SA on the phone while at work and he just fed me insane BS! He said that there's no CPO document with guidelines or list of whats covered and that its always changing... and says I'm the first person to ever ask for something like that in all his time as a SA! Just WOW! So I told him I'm coming to get my car after work and he better not charge me a damn inspection fee cause I wont be paying it.

I got there earlier just in case he tried to head out early. He was still adamant that there's no CPO document with what is covered (he failed to produce any CPO documents) and that they have to do the $225 inspection to even know if whatever is the problem will be covered under CPO. So even with CPO you can spend the $225 for a damn inspection but the problem may still not be covered! What a joke! He said from talking to the tech that they're 90% confident its the door actuator and that he is 100% sure that its not covered and that itll be about 3 hours of labor so almost $700 after the $225 fee!! So being told that I asked him again and prodded... why and how do you know its not covered if the docs don't exist?? He said the onsite warranty office makes the call and when I asked 'OK then who they get their info from?' his reply was BMWNA.

So apparently BMWNA can tell dealer warranty offices what is covered under CPO just whenever. Well what a great limited warranty contract that is! Honestly the whole experience felt like warranty fraud and that's what a coworker was telling me too, since they were trying to get me to pay for things that are supposed to be covered under the warranty. But filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau wasn't going to do me any good. I didn't pay the inspection fee but I was frustrated and fed up. I told him to cancel the ticket, give me my car back and I'll fix it my damn self...

Which is what I did!

I bought a brand new OEM actuator for $161 from FCPEuro (my car is post 03/09 build so I had to get the more expensive post 03/09 unit) and used these DIYs below along with a stereo install video on YouTube to do the job.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477507
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1037871
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...php?p=17868429

I also recommend buying a interior trim/molding tool kit and some extra door clips on amazon.
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES517779/
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00

The first two DIYs are for E9xs but our cars are much easier (we don't have to deal with the window glass, exterior door handle, or the 4mm hex screw). I will be adding my install notes, tips and pics to the 1addicts one to help out fellow 1ers from getting bent over by their stealerships and BMWNA. So I hope my rant eventually helps out somebody in this same situation in the future!

All in all I couldn't be more satisfied with doing it myself in a couple hours. Especially knowing I saved about $900 dollars and best of all that I didn't let BMW or the dealer screw me. My door even opens and closes more smoothly and quietly now
      07-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #15
Mach1er
Lieutenant
Rep

Damn, what a mess...glad everything is working now, though. There's nothing quite like the feeling of a successful DYI.