BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-25-2009, 06:21 AM   #1
AC SCHNITZER 1
Germany
Rep
Drives: AC Schnitzer Tuned 135i

Unhappy USB Drive doesn't work at all

Hello

I own an '09 135i with the USB/iPod adaptor option, but without the iDrive. I have had the car for a while now and i decided I wanted to use a USB stick instead of CD's for listening to music. I plugged in my USB drive with my songs uploaded onto it and it won't read it for some reason. The little LED light on the USB stick doesn't even light up. I bought another USB stick to see if that one would work, same issue. Does anyone here have the same issue? I tried unplugging and plugging it back in, nothing works..

When I press the audio button, only three options show up, Tuner, CD, and AUX. Isn't it also supposed to say USB and iPod? I know I have the option, even double checked my options list on the car..

I went to the dealership today (in Germany) and they said they had no idea what it was. I also have that issue where the audio won't even work at all sometimes, but it seems like that topic has been discussed enough on here..

Any ideas?? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 06:25 AM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Try your USB drives in one of their demo cars, or staff cars and see if it works. If it does, ask them to fix yours for you. It should work.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 06:49 AM   #3
AC SCHNITZER 1
Germany
Rep

I will try that, thank you.

Do you know if the audio interface should say USB and iPod next to the rest of the options like Tuner, CD, and AUX??

2009 ACS1
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 08:31 AM   #4
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

I don't have a USB connection on my '08. I play an MP3 player through the AUX port. I'm sure someone else can answer that question.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC SCHNITZER 1 View Post
I will try that, thank you.

Do you know if the audio interface should say USB and iPod next to the rest of the options like Tuner, CD, and AUX??
Yes it should, but only when there is a device connected (thumb drive or ipod).
Otherwise, it won't show those as choices since there is nothing connected.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
AC SCHNITZER 1
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
Ok, thanks again.. Taking back to the dealer next week! Hopefully they find a solution!!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
Mine has a spot for USB. If no USB key is inserted and will show ---- under the USB title. When the USB key is recognized then it gives me the USB symbol instead of the ----.

If you are not seeing USB as one of the options (even if it only shows ----) then something is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 12:05 AM   #8
AC SCHNITZER 1
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
Mine has a spot for USB. If no USB key is inserted and will show ---- under the USB title. When the USB key is recognized then it gives me the USB symbol instead of the ----.

If you are not seeing USB as one of the options (even if it only shows ----) then something is wrong.
Thank you, BIG HELP!!!!

2009 ACS1
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 01:59 AM   #9
plasar
plasar
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Vert

Garage List
Hey AC SCHNITZER 1, I've got a 135i vert with iPod integration, iDrive, and therefore a USB connector in the glovebox and on the console (with the aux 1/8 in for the audio).

I was dying to transfer some of my music to the onboard 8 Gb of drive space available on the iDrive disk. I tried many of my devices to act as the USB drive to get the songs into the disk via the glovebox USB. Most devices didn't work - iPhone, iPod Nano, iPod Classic, and a 40Gb portable hard drive. I tried formatting the Nano in Windows (not Mac), and of course info was both in iPod format and "disk" format.

The only device that ended up working was an old 512 Mb iPod Shuffle. So I have to move my music in 16 transfers!

Anyhow, different situation than yours, but I think the issue is the same - the glovebox USB doesn't seem to recognize a lot of USB disk devices.

Good luck getting yours fixed. Let us know if you do find out the root cause.
Appreciate 0