BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-08-2010, 08:24 AM   #23
karma8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Did you clean the surface with alcohol before you stick the 3M? That could be the issue!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #24
LA-Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by karma8 View Post
Did you clean the surface with alcohol before you stick the 3M? That could be the issue!
Yes, first and second time.

Well, today's test went pretty well. Let the car sit out with the sun shining on the splitters for about an hour, then took it for a 60 mile interstate cruise averaging 80mph with a couple bursts to ....... well, let's say above 80. The re-done side with the adhesion promoter looks like it did when I left. The other side (just the 3M) clearly slid down further and is obviously loose. Guess I'll redo that side tonight using the promoter and new 3M tape.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #25
viktorivan
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 white/black

in the body shop if we had problems like this, we applied rubber cement to both areas. Once this is dry apply your double stick tape, make sure tape is fresh.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 03:26 AM   #26
TEUFELHUNDE
USMC Lance corporal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i aw w/coral red int.

Bodyshop owner exoticimports Nj

nope.....i deal with custom bodywork all day long 135i's,m3's etc......

go to a reputable bodyshop in your area....

get the lip removed carefully!!!!!!

remove tape the tape was put on and it was a dirty surface

remove excess glue

apply grease and wAX REMOVER trust me its fine for paint its just a good cleaning agent that leaves no residue behind....

then apply half water and soap sray bottle clean off grease wax remover micro fiber cloth....

have them put on THERE THICKEST 3M TAPE ITS USUALLY THE ONE THATS RED THAT YOU HAVE TO PEEL OFF

have them strip the inside correctly with enoughhhhhh

TELL THEM TO ADD ONE DROP MIDDLE LEFT RIGHT # DROPS OF EPOXY thats it epoxy it will never come off now

put it up to car unpeeled to prefit

then peel one end off with the rest peeled on then slowly peel off while pressing down on the part already stuck on two people should be doing this.....when the one part is on then push on it then get tape tape to car to hold in place for like 30 mins.

same other side.
Appreciate 0