BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #23
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Sorry to hear, Dan.

Hopefully you get your 1M back on the road shortly. Get it out of coma.
      12-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #24
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

I don't know which one is worse, what actually happened with the car or BMW's response to that. One doesn't need to be a rocket scientist to understand that the stock charge pipe is a pos, an embarrassment to keep it there for an M car or in any car. Then, they go further and use this as an excuse to deny the claim!

Soon, I will take my car for a shop to install ER charge pipe. I think I am gonna make a video inwhich I will clearly count bolts and stuff, coming in and out one by one; just in case!

Really sorry Dan, hope you cure the car in no time.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #25
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Certainly is a very nice car.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #26
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Really sorry, Dan.

Of course, complete bs. Even if bolt dropped in intake, there's no way a bolt could travel through the turbos and intercooler and then through the intake manifold and head into cyl. 6!

Neil
+1, that is one f-ed up diagnosis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
... the stock charge pipe is a pos, an embarrassment to keep it there for an M car or in any car. Then, they go further and use this as an excuse to deny the claim! ...
Ironic really, too bad not enough Germans have a sense of humor

Nevertheless wishing you and your 1M a swift return to the track (somehow)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #27
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Thanks guys. This experience taught me about brand loyalty. I burned my BMW shirts, hats, etc, let my BMWCCA membership and club racing license expire (ironically they came due for renewal the day before the car was taken from the dealership) and proudly wear my new shirt. Errrrrr.
Attached Images

12-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #28
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
Thanks guys. This experience taught me about brand loyalty. I burned my BMW shirts, hats, etc, let my BMWCCA membership and club racing license expire (ironically they came due for renewal the day before the car was taken from the dealership) and proudly wear my new shirt. Errrrrr.
Really sorry to hear, Dan. Very lame actions by the dealer, I'm speechless. If anything, one would have thought they would go the extra mile for a BMW enthusiast and loyalist...

Can you hit them with the Magnusson-Moss Act? Shouldn't the burden be on them to prove that your aftermarket modification resulted in the failure of the engine?
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #29
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

The sad part is there's countless threads of oem failed charge pipes even on stock cars so it almost forces an individual to upgrade for fear of failure at the wrong time/wrong place.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 12:08 AM   #30
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Safety Complaint

I think we should start a campaign to report all charge pipe failures to the NHTSA at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm. Besides 20/20 this is the best way to pressure BMW into designing an adequate fix for this under engineered part.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 05:15 AM   #31
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can you hit them with the Magnusson-Moss Act? Shouldn't the burden be on them to prove that your aftermarket modification resulted in the failure of the engine?
I spoke with a few attorneys who are well versed in lemon laws and the Magnusson-Moss Act. It would be complex, expensive, and a long drawn out process that of course has no guarantees. I currently have some personal things going on in my life that require attorney's hands in my pockets so rather then go bankrupt fighting BMW I decided to move the car to someone I trust.
I can replace the engine with a slightly used one from a wrecked 335is or Z4 35is for around 10K so I'll likely go this route.

It is ironic that I replaced the charge pipe to avoid any problems since so many folks were having issues with the stock pipe, only to have it blamed for the failure. It gave no performance gain but did give peace of mind, for a short time.

To be clear, I feel my service advisor at the dealership did everything in his power and then some. He went to bat for me and it's greatly appreciated. It's the regional technician who pointed the blame and would not budge. He basically dared me to a legal fight. The stories I've heard are pretty crazy. This is a guy who denied to warranty a TPMS fault code because the owner of a 5 series changed the tires to a different brand from OEM and he blamed this on the problem because the tires weren't OEM. He claimed the friction from the new tires was causing the TPMS to trigger. I hate to use the term "nazi" but I can't help but go there.

Here's the letter I sent to my SA and to BMW Customer Relations:

To:
XXXX
United BMW Service Advisor

and

XXXX
Customer Relations and Services

On July 31st of this year, my 2011 BMW 1M (VIN WBSUR9C54BVP75967) suffered a catastrophic engine failure while driving in the North Georgia mountains. The car was transported to United BMW of Roswell where BMW technical personnel reviewed it. Severe damage was found inside the #6 cylinder. I have been told verbally that this has not been approved for warranty repair because I had added an aftermarket charge pipe to the engine. This charge pipe’s only function is to contain the pressurized air from the turbo. It does not increase boost pressure or add horsepower to the engine. I had replaced the stock charge pipe in response to complaints of failures of the stock charge pipe as posted on various 1M forums. BMW’s solution was to simply replace them even though there was an obvious problem with the part. The failure of the stock charge pipe is widely known and I didn’t want to be a victim of this failure. In June, after I brought my car in for a between service interval oil and differential fluid change, my service advisor told me the aftermarket charge pipe was a cause of concern so I uninstalled it and reinstalled the factory part. This is a car I planned on keeping a long time and its warranty is very important to me. I was told, verbally, that the regional technician would not allow BMW to fix my car under warranty due to his belief that an external part entered the engine during the charge pipe installation. The failure occurred approximately 45 days and 700-800 miles after the BMW charge pipe installation was performed, so a part suddenly making its way into the engine is not plausible. *No part has been found in the engine, and no part is or was missing from the charge pipe assembly. I know this mysterious part was never introduced to the engine yet no further investigation as to the root cause of this failure would be performed. *Once this hypothesis was generated, no further investigation was done. Removing the turbos, downpipes, and analyzing the engine oil for any metal content and identification are some of the primary things that should have been done, but instead the car sat at the dealer’s facility while I made over $2,400 in loan payments. *Failure to complete a thorough root cause analysis of the engine to support or rule out the technician’s hypothesis is simply unacceptable. *It is the sole responsibility of the manufacturer to prove that this supposed external part caused the failure and in fact that any such external part exists.

Due to the verbal denial to warranty my 1M I am having it and all of it's parts picked up by Harrison Motorsports on Thursday, November 1st. *The car has been in your possession since August 2nd (over 90 days!) and since I've been told BMW will not warranty the car I am taking it and all it's parts back. *I have asked repeatedly for a written explanation and never received one from either United BMW or BMW North America. *As stated, when I received my courtesy loaner car I will be returning it within 24 hours of the 1M being picked up and may be able to return it earlier. *Due to the fact I am nearly 2 hours away and have to arrange assistance in getting home I cannot give an exact time but it will be at least within the 24 hour period of the 1M's pickup.

This experience with BMW is very unfortunate. *As a result of this failure and all the delays associated with the determination of the status of my car, I have incurred $2,400 in loan payment on a car that I cannot drive, significant time involved in unsuccessfully resolving this failure, and I am left with additional expense and time in reassembling an engine that is now severely damaged, at my own expense. I am not sure what I will be left with in the end. I have been a loyal BMW owner for many years, having owned multiple BMW’s, and being an active BMWCCA member. I feel as if this current situation is unfair to me and not reflective of my previous brand loyalty to BMW.

Again, I request that I receive a formal written response to my warranty claim and this letter so that I can evaluate my options going forward. I would like to remain a loyal and supportive BMW customer, and BMWCCA member but under the current scenario, I can honestly say that I cannot.

Sincerely,
Daniel Parker*

Last edited by Dan Parker; 12-04-2012 at 05:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #32
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
Since the regional technician wanted to make an example out of my installing an aftermarket charge pipe they denied my claim. Cylinder 6 is beat to hell. The engine grenaded 700-800 miles after the installation but the BMW RT put his foot as far up my ass as possible and I'm just not able to fight a legal battle against goliath right now. He claims I dropped a bolt or something in the engine during installation. I know I didn't. The car is now at an independent shop. I'll leave it at that.
Well, this is some grade A BS. Hope it works out dude.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #33
SchnellFowVay
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport

Wow, this is a ridiculous story.

My dealership bends over backwards to preserve the warranty on my N55 135i.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #34
FairfaxM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, 1M, F82 M4

Sorry to hear that they denied the warranty. This is a case of BMW not looking long-term and being completely unreasonable.

So, I guess that it's a safe assumption that you are not going to order the $115 1M shirt that BMW has for sale for 1M owners--though you could get in embroidered with 'Warranty Denied' on the sleeve.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #35
djafactor
MINI Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 89 M3, 1M, e30 touring

Unreal, so sorry to hear Dan. BMW is so blind that they don't realize how much of a brand ambassador you are. Makes me sick. I had my old R53 MINI's motor detonate a few years back after a friend borrowed it for a DE. Fortunately I had a close tie with my service advisor who was able to pass it under warranty. From what I'm hearing with your case, I don't see how mine passed.
      12-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #36
ADVANT123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Stories like this are the reason why the 1M will be my last BMW. I had a bunch of issues with my 2009 335xi (100% stock) that has put a sour taste in my mouth for BMW service/warranty programs.

No worries though- I like what I see coming out of Stuttgart..
2015 Porsche Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #37
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

So who wants a 1M with no engine so they can drop an S65 in it?

Motons, BMW alcantara steering wheel & shift knob, carbon rear lip, 13K miles - excellent condition...garage and BMW service department stored...

Selling cheap!
      12-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #38
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Four points.

First, I am hugely sorry for ya Dan. I've been through something along these lines once long ago when a dealer wrecked my car and tried to hide it. It Fking sux when BIG man corp basically tells ya to crap in your hat and what are you going to do about it. I can’t believe they won’t even tear down to see if they can determine what the hell happened. Doesn’t BMW even want to know why an engine failed?

Second, I wonder if BMW has any idea how bad this is for brand loyalty? I mean everyone that hears about this will end of up hating BMW or liking BMW less. Have you thought about getting a social media movement going? Something like autoblog that gets the story out to the masses. I bet BMW NA might take more notice if a few hundred thousand enthusiasts heard about how they are treating you.

Third, I would video record the entire teardown process. If you do find a smoking gun then it will be paramount to have on tape. I wouldn't be surprised at all if something in the valvetrain let go and that's what destroyed cyl 6. I've heard of this happening a few times before on BMWs. Maybe a cam cap nut or one of the variable valve timing pieces (can't quite remember what it was). There is a chance the piece will still be in the engine or in the exhaust system.

Fourth, if possible please note the metallurgy of the pistons and rods. There's been so much conjecture out there it would be good to know for sure what's in our motors. Mike over at VAC could tell you exactly what to look for to determine.

Again I am SO sorry you have to go through this. It's absolute, complete BS. No two ways about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #39
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Did you try contacting the Alabama firm that represented Dr. Gore in his successful case against BMWNA for not disclosing his new BMW was resprayed at the VPC?

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #40
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Perfect and eloquent letter Dan. Hopefully they actually read it. Such BS!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #41
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

911 cube ...for the sake of art:

12-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #42
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

United BMW never did me any favors... I had a number of warranty issues with them on my e36 and e39 - the last one cost me $1,400 for a catalytic converter, as they wouldn't honor a known recall (they had already replaced it once with the same defective part, and I should be happy with that...). In my opinion, I'd stay far, far away.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #43
KillrM3
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3

Dan,

Sorry to hear about this. This is the first I have seen this as I haven't been on the forum in a while. Has BMW NA responded to you directly?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #44
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

That depends on the definition of "directly." They never gave me anything in writing, as I demanded several times during the process (i.e. the letter above) but I was denied by the BMW NA rep verbally, saying they stand behind the regional technician.